“Tasty homemade food”

Ranked #2 of 19 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is the best restaurant in the area-nothing close in Red Wing for sure. Everything is from scratch including all dressings (blue cheese dressing is da bomb) and nearly all desserts. You just KNOW nothing came from a mystery frozen bag of *%#? and thrown into a deep fry. Best fried cod I've ever had -crispy on the outside and light on the inside. Don't miss the calamari with Asian slaw-yum. We'll be back!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We went here with Hudson/Stillwater friends and were flabbergasted that this little out of the way place in the country could come up with food/service and drinks that were equal to anything in the more "touristy" towns in and around. It is definitely worth the trip. We loved it...everyone got a different entree and every one of them was superb. The onion rings and cheese curd appetizers were a real "blast from the past".

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We made the forty minute drive from Menomonie and discovered a gem in the country. Not the largest, but very nicely decorated dining area and bar. Disappointed that the duck special was gone at 7:30 but the Ribeyes and Filet were outstanding. Cocktails, wine, two appetizers, dinner, and gratuity was under $50 per person. Service was excellent. We will go back next time in the area.

1  Thank Foodoctor
Reviewed 24 August 2013

No more do you need to eat burgers and wings at one of the many bars in the River Falls or Ellsworth area. This place offers a changing menu (with several staples you'll always find) with seasonal options. I've always been skeptable--it's a house turned into a resturaunt, like many in western wisconsin (more house-turned-bar, which is what I thought Shady Grove was for years), only it's not just a bar (they have one, of course), it's a supper-cluby type of place with the standard supper club favs like prime rib, but what WE like is the first page of the menu--the one that changes month to month. The duck breast is unreal good. Our first time here I read the first thing on the menu: morels, ramps in a garlic butter. Morels??!! I knew we had found something special. And it's not too expensive either...my husband and I ate well with a shared app, entrees and dessert for about $50. Try it!

1  Thank Katie P
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We never go wrong with anything we've had at the Shady Grove! It's the one place my husband tries combinations & flavors I know he'd pass up at home!

1  Thank MaggieTrot