“Sweet Little Gourmet Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Shady Grove
Ranked #2 of 19 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
St. Paul, MN
“Sweet Little Gourmet Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Our first visit which definitely will not be our last. We drove from the Twin Cities with a cousin who raved about it and we agreed with her. The food was top-notch. My duck breast was out-of-this world, my husband's steak was perfect, and our cousin's walleye was gigantic. We began with delicious rolls, followed by a good salad and the entree. The veggies were terrific, done just right. The beautiful young waitress, Emily (?), was helpful and efficient. Because it was raining off and on and stifling hot outdoors we chose to eat outside, but I'm ready to go back again and try the patio. Some of the vegetables served were grown next to the patio. The restaurant is not large but "just right" --spotless with comfortable chairs and a very clean bathroom. It is a real treasure and close enough to St. Paul for frequent meals!! Very scenic drive, too.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Kate M

“Great Specials ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

When I go out for a nice dinner, I like to have options for an entree beyond what I can have at home. Their specials tonight gave me 3 great options - bison ribeye, duck breast and herring. I went with the bison ribeye rare. It was fantastic...cooked perfect with a wild mushroom sauce in too. Yum! My older son had really good oversized 10 ounce prime rib, other some had classic lasagna and my wife had a pecan crusted goat cheese salad. My only disappointment was in my salad where the French dressing was to strong for the mixed green - which lacked tomatoes and croutons. We will return!

1 Thank Len M
Hastings
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“To those local or passing through...STOP!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We had spent the day hiking and visiting the cave with our 5 children and wanted something good to eat. I was going to stop at Angels on 63 until I read the reviews for Shady Grove. I walked in to ensure the atmosphere was conducive for kids and it wasn't...white linens and quiet, candle lit. We wanted to sit outside but that was booked so the hostess and owner pushed 2 tables together and there we sat. WOW. Everything was amazing!! The ladies were amazing, treated us like royalty (Although having 5 kids in there was prob not ideal). Cheese curds, crab cakes, both French onion and sweet potato soup, fettuccini, all rocked. Us adults got bison and scallops, best around. Creme brûlée and cheese cake for dessert were great. Cannot say enough! My kids actually behaved too!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Kmbeyer
River Falls, Wisconsin
“A Local Treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

If you drive too fast, you'll miss it on the curve between Ellsworth and Beldenville. But slow down, stop in, and have a terrific meal. The food is delicious--from seafood to bison to pasta. The menu varies dependent on what is in season (the asparagus and morel mushroom appetizer was to die for), but it is all delicious. The service is also superb. When the new owners took over the restaurant, many were afraid that the quality might change. It has not. Shady Grove remains a wonderful little gem.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank 119lauraz
“Sweet supper club experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Shady Grove is so special that I'm writing my first public restaurant review a week later--not because I wasn't inspired to do write it sooner, but because a week later, I'm still thinking about our lovely dinner there. We (my husband and 14 month old baby) went for dinner on a Wednesday evening at about 5:45 with a reservation.

When we arrived, they had a nice table set up with a high chair already in place. We had a calamari appetizer with Asian slaw (baby's first calamari--loved it!). We frequently order calamari and it was my favorite version since J.P. American Bistro closed in Minneapolis. Our baby is an adventurous eater and enjoyed the spicy sweet potato soup--which was too bad because I would have loved to have more of it. She also enjoyed tastes of my delicious chicken spinach lasagna and my husband's walleye. All our meals were very good and worth a return trip on their own, but the real highlight was the service and atmosphere.

Our waitress was attentive and responsive, but far better, she made us feel welcome and, by the end, like family. I don't expect that from every restaurant experience, but from a Wisconsin supper club? It was exactly what I didn't really know I always wanted. Ditto for the red leather chairs with huge metal tacks and the wood paneled bar. The owner was also warm and inviting--and not just to us. I could tell she genuinely cared about her guests and several of them were obviously repeat customers who cared about her and the restaurant in return. It really was a quintessential and yet authentic supper club experience and one which I hope we can repeat soon.

My only request? A baby diaper changing table. I hesitate to mention it, but a mom has got to ask.

P.S. I took home the chocolate caramel tart and it was so full of sticky, chocolaty wonderfulness I don't want to even talk about it in case I give away my weaknesses.

• Visited April 2014