“A little disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Ephraim
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A little disappointing”
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We stayed here about a month ago and we were a little disappointed in the amenities. The view was wonderful and the specious deck also. But the decor of the room was a little dated , especially the T.V. Very minimal seating. Also, there was not an elevator to the 3rd floor, so especially after my husband having heart surgery, was a little rough. Usually, when we stay at an inn or bed and breakfast, they always ask to help with luggage. Not so here. Nice location, but for the price, was not worth it.

1 Thank loveinns03
EWRGM, General Manager at Edgewater Resort, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to submit a review. I am sorry your experience was disppointing. Your opinions are of great value to us and we appreciate your input. Please know that if our staff is aware of any special needs, such as helping with the luggage, we are more than happy to assist. We strive to have all our guest’s experiences be positive and comments such as yours help us maintain the best possible service for all our customers. I will share your review and take appropriate steps to address the concerns that you have noted.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Brandon
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We spent the night on a short trip to Door County in September. The room had a fire place and spa, but the room was mediocre. The location was wonderful as well as the view. We attended tyhe fish boil at the Old Post Office Restaurant attached to resort. It was interesting watching the bonfire and hearing the stories. We were surprised at how good the food was. We are glad we stopped.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 October 2012

The rooms are very nice, clean and spacious. It is very nice to be able to stay right by the water and the service is above average. The prices are a bit high but you get what you pay for , especially compared to other properties in Door County. The beds need updating and can get a bit uncomfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Siesta Key, Florida
Reviewed 4 October 2012

This was our first trip to Door County, and we selected Edgewater Resort from a short list of pet friendly hotels. If we return to Door County, we'll stay there again, even if we are traveling without our dog (a 3 pound Yorkie). We stayed in a one bedroom cabin that was roomy and spotless. It had a living room with gas fireplace, a large fully equipped kitchen, a large dining area, and a spacious bedroom. (Dogs are allowed only in the cabins, but we'd choose the one bedroom cabin again even if we were without our dog.) Free WiFi throughout the property is a nice plus as well. There's also a nicely equipped fitness center, although with all the hiking and biking we did we didn't get to use it. The staff was great and the service excellent. And, it's in a perfect location. I recommend this hotel highly.

Room Tip: The one bedroom cabin is great!
1 Thank ronzam
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 2 October 2012

My wife and I spent three nights at the Edgewater this past week in the Premium Suite on the third floor of the resort.

I'll begin by saying that the location of the resort is phenomenal. The hotel is located in the heart of Ephraim within walking distance of a few shops, an art gallery, a handful of very good restaurants, and a great coffee house. The resort is water front with unobstructed views and only Water Street between it and the water. Ephraim itself is a very short drive from everywhere (Peninsula SP - 5 min, Fish Creek - 5 min, Egg Harbor - 10 min, Sister Bay - 10 min, Baileys Harbor - 15 min, Whitefish Dunes - 20 min, Ferry to Washington Island - 20 min).

The premium suite was phenomenal! It features a VERY large private balcony with fantastic Eagle Harbor views on the third floor along with a roomy living room and a gas fireplace. The kitchen opens to the living room and is very well appointed (The silverware and cooking utensils are fairly basic. If you have more than 4 guests or want to cook an especially intricate meal you may need additional items. There is enough for basic meals for a family of four though without a doubt.). The bedroom is very large and has a large jetted tub with great views over Eagle Harbor.

The Old Post Office Restaurant is attached to the resort and features great breakfasts and a nightly traditional fish boil (Except Sundays). Regardless of your affinity for the fish itself you can't beat having a traditional fish boil right on property.

I couldn't recommend this resort more. The entire resort is meticulously maintained down to an exceptionally well manicured garden area. The room was well renovated and designed in a very tasteful way that reflected Door County well. The blending of these well designed new touches with the historic flair of this 100+ year old resort was flawless. I can honestly say I have never stayed anywhere this relaxing and peaceful.

Room Tip: If you like a private balcony opt for the premium suit. The first and second floors have shared (alt...
2 Thank Matt1983
Chicago
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We just spent a week at the Edgewater, our third year in a row, and even though there were a couple of hiccups I still have to give it an excellent review. We again stayed in the waterview suite, room 101, and let me tell you, when you get up in the morning and open the blinds to that gorgeous view of the lake and the sky—well, as another reviewer said I can’t imagine staying anyway else in Door County. And sitting on the veranda, sipping a gin and tonic while watching the sunset and listening to the jingling of the bells on the horse drawn carriage—no words. Some things could perhaps use a bit of updating (although they did replace the water heater during our stay and the dishwasher broke on our last day so that may have been replaced as well) but for us the good points far outweigh any problems. All the fantastic light in the spacious living room/kitchen area is a definite plus as are those nice blond wood floors and simple but comfortable furniture. Although it was too warm this year to use the fireplace, it’s a great addition when the nights are chilly. Another plus was that this year we were staying early enough to use the pool which I loved. Great view of the lake from the pool and the water temperature was perfect. It was not crowded at all last week—in fact I was alone except for one day when there was a couple using the whirlpool. Only problem was there weren’t any towels in the sauna room as I was told, so I took one from the room. They’re plenty big for the pool.

Some reviewers seemed to think the kitchens weren’t stocked very well, but we bring just a few items with us and are able to prepare quite decent, if simple, meals. Steaks, salad, chops, baked potatoes, that kind of thing. I mean, it’s not going to be like your kitchen at home but it’s sufficient for vacation. I take a couple of good knives, a big spatula and wine opener, and a nonstick skillet and we’re good to go. The kitchen is stocked with dinnerware and cutlery for four, as well as glasses (including wine glasses) and mugs. They do provide coffee and tea but…well, we bring our own coffee and creamer. We’re kind of spoiled when it comes to coffee. The Piggly Wiggly in Sister Bay is small but has anything you need in the way of groceries, and the Top Shelf Café and Gourmet across the parking lot from the Pig is a fantastic little gourmet store with a great selection of wines, soft drinks, cheese, meat, olives, pate, etc, as well as fun grocery items. If there weren’t so many terrific restaurants in the area I wouldn’t mind cooking in the suite every day, it’s really pleasant.

I just didn’t experience any problems with traffic noise that other people mentioned. Maybe because we stay later in the year? I don’t know. I didn’t hear much traffic after 10pm, and wasn’t bothered by any in the morning either, although I am an early riser. The bed did feel way too hard for my taste, but I sleep on the sofa so it wasn’t an issue for me. Luckily I’m short enough to sleep on the sofa without pulling it out into a bed, just take off the back cushions and I’m fine. My sister didn’t have trouble sleeping on the bed but she did bring her own pillows this year.

One more thing which might be of concern for people with mobility problems—the room where we stay is pretty accessible. Plenty of space for a wheelchair in the living area and the bedroom, and the bathroom. There are two seats in the shower which is nice. The bed is really high but a step is provided.

Not much else to say—the Edgewater is in a great location, has great views, very comfortable suite, super nice staff. Not cheap, but it’s Door County folks. There are cheaper places to stay, but you don’t get that view and great central location.

Room Tip: I can't recommend room 101 highly enough. Lots of windows, more privacy when sitting on the vera...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
waukesha wi
Reviewed 17 September 2012

This was our 2nd time staying here and we come back again. Our balcony overlooked the pool but beyond that the views are so beautiful. Our room had a kitchen and living room. The bedroom is nice sized and has a really nice tub for 2 and a fireplace. The staff was great!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephraim
Country House Resort
Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort
The Landing Resort
The Landing Resort
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Edgewater Resort? Share your experiences!