“Wonderful resort in a great town”
Review of Edgewater Resort

Edgewater Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Ephraim
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This was our fourth trip to Ephraim and Door County and our first time at Edgewater Resort. We're planning to do it again next year and to stay at Edgewater. The resort is very pretty. It's right on the water and has its own pool, which is smallish but impeccably maintained. Our 4- and 8-year-old loved it. We brought our dogs so we stayed in two of the dog-friendly cottages. They are simple, clean and spacious enough. They sit in front of the fish boil fire pit so the evening entertainment is pretty fun to watch, especially if you have small kids. The grounds are very nice and also perfectly maintained. We reserved a suite for my parents in the main lodge and it was perfect. Beautiful room with kitchen and jacuzzi bath. My mom and dad loved it. It overlooked the water. The staff is very helpful and had good suggestions for dinner. The Old Post Restaurant which is part of the resort served delicious breakfast, and had the famed fish boil at night. Very popular. Ephraim itself is a gem. Quiet but near the bustling town of Fish Creek and also the quaint Sister Bay. It has a nice public beach, and a great old fashioned ice cream parlor called Wilson's. We love Door County and now we love Edgewater Resort too!

1  Thank aileen c

Reviewed 23 August 2013

This was our second year at the Edgewater Resort and it was just as great as our first. The staff remembered us from the year prior and gave us a big welcome back when we checked in. Our room once again was very spacious and clean. Housekeeping freshened up the room and restocked towels and other necessities on a daily basis. The kids loved the pool and had so much fun swimming just about every afternoon. The resort was well occupied but never felt overcrowded and parking was always easy to find just steps away from the room.

One evening while out and about in the nearby town of Fish Creek we ran into the resort manager and she went out of her way asking if we were enjoying our stay in Door County and if we needed any recommendations for shopping and exploring. It was a nice feeling knowing that we were not just another face in the crowd or just another family filling a room at a resort. The resort also offered ten percent off for resort guests at the attached restaurant which was very good. Earl once again put on a fantastic show conducting the fish boil behind the resort. I watched him prepare the fish boil a few times during our stay as his character is very entertaining.

It stormed one evening but there were a number of board games available in the resort lobby that we took back to the room and our kids had a blast playing until the storm passed. The lobby also had about fifteen menus of area restaurants that we could look over on those nights we were undecided on where to eat. The resort was full of both couples and families but with enough room to still have a feeling of privacy. The location is central to everything and one gets the feeling of being right in the center of the entire Door County area. We will certainly be back next year.

Room Tip: As a family we enjoyed the ground level rooms right by the pool. Still a fantastic view on the first...
2  Thank Kensbhph
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed in a 3rd floor waterfront suite (Aug 14-16) that was exceptionally charming. Wonderful view from our private balcony......amazing in early morning, watching the fog lift across the bay. The sunsets are so beautiful! Ephraim is the best town in Door County......not overly crowded like some of the other towns. We watched the charming horse and buggy take passengers up and down the road in front of our suite! The Old Post Office next door has the best fish boil in the county, and the breakfasts are also great. Wilson's restaurant has amazing ice cream......be sure to have an appetite! For more great food, go to Fish Creek to Julie's Park Cafe -- you must have their cherry pie! We have had many trips to Door County and enjoyed our Ephraim visit so much we can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Best view on 3rd floor if you don't mind the stairs. No large TV but we never felt like watchin...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank K L
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My husband and I spent nearly a week here in one of the waterfront suites and were extremely pleased. The staff was very friendly, the accommodations were excellent and the view couldn't have been better. One of the high points was the fish boil that happens on the property most evenings. Don't miss being entertained (and fed!) by Earl.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cpastorek
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This was my first trip to Door County and this hotel, so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I enjoyed the lovely views of Peninsula State Park, the location of the hotel and that they offer suites, with full kitchens, in addition to standard rooms. It is an older property, so you will see a bit of wear and tear, however I think they try to keep it in good condition. I don't think housekeeping was up to par though. For me, the main ingredient it was lacking is top notch service you receive at a 4 or 5 star property and/or the charming extras a B&B might offer. It offered neither of those and overall service was flat. Making my reservation was also somewhat of a challenge. On the hotels behalf, I booked at the last minute, however the staff seemed annoyed with my many questions instead of happy to assist a new guest. Overall a great location, beautiful views, decent accommodations, but it could be so much better.

Room Tip: The best views are on the 2nd and 3rd floors. The 1st floor is best for those with kids. Of course...
3  Thank malkodj
EWRGM, General Manager at Edgewater Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is our desire to meet and exceed our guest expectations. I am very sorry that your impression of the reservationist was negative. I looked at your reservation and the young lady that took the reservation was in training. While it is no excuse, please know that was her first day taking reservations and she was struggling to provide the correct information to you. We appreciate the feedback and in the future we will have our “new” associates transfer calls that require more attention the trainer. I have shared your comment with our housekeeping department but I would love the opportunity to talk to you so that I may understand your specific concerns.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

This was our 2nd time at the Edgewater Resort and we still think it is a wonderful place. The accommodations are great - rooms, kitchen, location, towels(love them) and of course the view. However, this time there was some sort of family reunion going on and they were oblivious to other guests. They were loud and obnoxious and when at the pool they literally took it over as if they were in their own backyard with no regard to any one else. That said, there wasn't anything the Edgewater could do and I just tried to relax and enjoy the beautiful view of the bay.

I also missed Adrienne who worked the desk last year. She was friendly, warm and helpful.

I wonder if there is a way to check to see if any large groups have reservations before you book your room. I think I will ask next year.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but we love facing the pool and the water.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gail G
EWRGM, General Manager at Edgewater Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize that your experience wasn’t as positive this year – it is important to us that each guest have a wonderful experience. We have several guests that stay with us each year and Edgewater Resort has become their “home away from home”. It is unfortunate that the “loud and obnoxious” behavior of the other guests was not brought to our attention so we could address the issue. Once again, I am sorry that your stay was disrupted and I hope that you give us another chance to have a relaxing and enjoyable vacation with us. Please feel free to contact me personally to book your next reservation so that we can avoid dates that have large groups in house.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

We have stayed here a couple times and it used to be one of the nicer properties in Door County. It's located right in the heart of Ephraim with beautiful views of the lake. You can easily walk to any place in Ephraim from the hotel. It has a nice pool and hot tub and the front desk employees could not possibly be nicer.

The staff seems to do their best to take care of the property. While we were there I saw someone scrubbing the wicker furniture on the porch and scrubbing furniture around the pool.

The suites are spacious and relatively clean but they are really starting to show their age and badly need to be updated. The floors are scratched, the carpets are worn, shower curtain liners are rusted, and the quilts on the beds are old and faded. The mattresses are as hard as rocks and are miserably uncomfortable. The linens feel like sandpaper and the pillows are lumpy and old. The worst part is the noise in the rooms. The hotel is 15 feet from the road and there are cars, trucks and buses driving on the road all hours of the day and night. For such a small town there is a lot of traffic and it's loud. One night, at 10:30 p.m.. I counted five cars in less than a minute.

The bedroom of the suite is not air conditioned. There is only a wall unit in the living room and it does not cool the bedroom. You can't sleep with the windows open because you're 15 feet from the road . . .

The condition of the suites does not merit the $300 per night they are charging. Sadly, we won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in one of the rooms facing the pool. Only one of them has a patio or porch.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank momtotwingirls
EWRGM, General Manager at Edgewater Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

I am sorry that your stay was not what you anticipated and that you would not choose to stay with us again. We appreciate that you took note that we take very good care of the property. Each year we do a series of updates to the property and units. This past winter we installed New Carpeting in every unit, our linen was updated to a Luxury Terry and many other updates were accomplished as well. Once again, I am sorry you were disappointed with our property but please know that we continue to make upgrades and improvements each year. I thank you for your comments and will share them with the proper committee.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephraim
The Ashbrooke
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor
The Landing Resort
The Landing Resort
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Edgewater Resort? Share your experiences!