“Pleasant stay...would go back!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ephraim Shores Resort

Ephraim Shores Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Ephraim
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Pleasant stay...would go back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Ephraim Shores Motel & Restaurant in July 2011. We were previously staying in Sister Bay but wanted to stay another night in Door County. Because our hotel was booked, I found Ephraim Shores online (plus it looked really nice driving by a few times). I was very pleased with our stay. The front desk was very friendly and even let us check in two hours early. Later in the evening, our key cards weren't working, and the front desk replaced them without any trouble. We stayed in a standard room with a king size bed and balcony. Though we didn't have a lake view being in the back of the hotel, it was still nice having the balcony. The room was spacious enough for the two of us for one night. The bed was comfortable, and I was able to access the Internet right from our room. The room is a little country/old looking in terms of decor, but keep in mind this is an older hotel. I'm not sure what some of the rooms/suites look like. We ate dinner at the Second Story Restaurant in the motel, and I was pleased with our meal. I felt a little out of place (we were the youngest in the room), but the food was good and reasonably priced compared to many other restaurants in Door County. The best thing about this motel is the views. It is directly across from the lake, and the motel has a reserved section with lounge chairs by the water. My boyfriend and I sat here and watched the sunset and boat activity - it was beautiful! Wilson's is right around the corner too, and they have delicious ice cream within walking distance. My only complaint about this motel is that the hot tub temperature was WAY too HOT. I couldn't even go in and neither could a couple other guests while we were in the pool area. Also, the restaurant closes at 8pm, which I think is rather early. Lastly, I was not aware Ephraim is a dry town. No alcohol sold anywhere. You can bring/drink your own, but it is kind of an inconvenience. Nevertheless, I had a great stay at the motel and wouldn't mind trying an upgraded room next time if we decided to stay in Ephraim.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jes297

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

The only thing I liked about my stay was the private chairs across the street by the water to watch the sunset. Also Jan was very nice and went out of her way to help when we registered earlier in the day. When we came back around 5pm I didn't like the service then. The lobby and the hallways smelled musty. There was no internet access. The restaurant closed too early, so we had the coffee in the room.. Horrible! Undrinkable! There is No breakfast unless you want to give them more money and eat at their restaurant. A million gnats around the balcony, so many we couldn't even use it. A small television that was hard to see across the room. We were told to park out back even though we had already parked in front in a designated spot. The initial card keys we got didn't work. When I went to explain to the front desk I felt as though I offended her by talking. We should have stayed where we did the previous night in Sturgeon Bay.

Room Tip: Hotel $$ / Sunset Free!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PreciousTime4me
michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

Overall this hotel for me was all about the view. The room was fine..just nothing to write home about. I guess I would call it average for the price per night. Best part was the view and the balcony.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MichiganGizmo
Bancroft, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

First thing - Ephraim is a dry town. No alcohol is sold there, even at the restaurants. Ephraim Shores Motel is a very nice place. We stayed in the King Harbor Spa room for 2 nights. The lakeview from the balcony is very nice except for the main road runs between the motel and the lake. (every motel in Ephraim has this same issue- the road runs along the lake) The bed was comfortable, the room was of nice size, the whirlpool was a true 2-person tub with plenty of room for two taller people (6'3" & 5'7") The whole place was very clean, even saw the staff washing down the lounge chairs in the morning. We ate at the Second Story on-site restaurant one night. The food was ok-to-good. We didn't really find a restaurant in Door County that served outstanding food for the price you have to pay. Unlike one other review, stay away from Wilson's. My husband ordered the taco salad and the meat in it tasted like it was leftover from last season, frozen, and reheated (not to mention burnt) for this season. Just gross! Overall, Ephraim Shores is a very nice place. We were pleased with our motel choice for the weekend.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travel_Bug_from_WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

We stayed in early June with a one-year-old and a four-year-old, my husband, and my in-laws. The staff at Ephraim Shores were very friendly and it was cleaner than my home. The staff cleaned inside and outside daily. The pool and hot tub were large. The game room was very dated but the prices went along with the games. Which was great for a four-year-old. The beach was very small and did not have water access. The cement dock and lounge area is a great place to watch the sunset. Ephraim Shores also has a small, outdoor play structure. A great amenity is the free bikes to use. The Second Story Restaurant attached to the motel is adequate. The best feature of Ephraim Shores is the location. It is a very short distance from several great places to eat. Wilson's for ice cream, burgers, fries and homemade root beer. Chef's Hat Cafe for great scones. The Old Post Office for the fish boil or breakfast.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2010

We stayed their with another couple and both of the rooms were perfect. I do not know how old the motel is because it is perfectly maintained and updated. It looks like it was built and painted in the last six months. This hotel was recommended by a friend, he and his family have been staying there for the last ten years. The onsite resturant has good food and a fair price. The enclosed pool and hot tub area were very clean and well maintained. The front desk personnel are friendly and accommadating. Housekkeeping was friendly and did an outstanding job of cleaning.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BeachBumsFrom69
Green Bay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

We stayed here for a last minute weekend getaway to Door County. Our room was spacious and had pretty much everything we needed including a little fridge. The décor was a bit dated. We always appreciated free internet. Of course the best thing about the room was the view of the lake and the nice balcony to gaze at the sunsets. The front desk staff was friendly. The pool area looked nice although we did not use it. Overall, the place doesn’t have much ambiance, but if you are looking for reasonable, clean rooms with a water view, this is your place. The bonus is you are within walking distance of Wilson’s! If you are looking for things to do try The Savory Spoon Cooking School – it is awesome. We also love the American Folklore theater in Peninsula State Park.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ephraim
Edgewater Resort
#6 of 8 in Ephraim
The Ashbrooke
The Ashbrooke
#1 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Ephraim Shores Resort? Share your experiences!