“The Best!”
Review of White Gull Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fish Creek
White Gull Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Fish Creek B&B and Inns
Palm City, Florida
“The Best!”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

The White Gull Inn is the quintessential quaint, elegant B&B. As a child I spent every summer vacation in Fish Creek. In those days we stayed in cottages and viewed the White Gull as a bit stodgy. Returning as an adult to a beautifully restored Inn we could not have been happier. On our most recent stay we were with friends from NJ who frequent Cape Cod. They made it a point to request a room in the back to avoid street noise - HAH! Those who know Fish Creek understand how laughable that is and for the rest of you - just wait. Here is where Door County is so special. Despite significant growth and development since my childhood visits, it is still a magical place and far less spoiled than many better-known destinations. (Hint -I believe there is not a single traffic light north of Sturgeon Bay) We stayed in an adjacent cottage where the room was spacious, beautifully decorated and serene. On an earlier visit we stayed in a tiny room in the main building. Really tiny, but beautiful. Breakfast is great whether you choose Good Morning America's Best Breakfast in America contest winner, Cherry Stuffed French Toast or any option. Dinners are romantic and delicious. The Fish Boil is a must - at least to watch. It is a show that I have seen literally hundreds of times without ever tasting the outcome, so I cannot speak to the flavor. The White Gull is just steps from the most beautiful sunset you can imagine in Sunset Park. My only complaint is the lack of coffee in the room, or even in the lobby for early risers. I guess it's part of the charm of Fish Creek, but I really like my coffee first thing and had a lovely walk into town to the Blue Horse - the first place to open. Would have liked to just go out to the porch.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anne E

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

Cheery and cheese Stuffed French toast was great. I liked that you could get 1/2 orders... The hash browns with veggies and cheese were also very good.
The eggs Benedict was a little too rich.
Arrive early, before 830!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Jlitty
Chicago
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Have been coming up to Door County for many years. We always try to have breakfast there.
My favorite is the stuffed french toast, you can request a half order. their hash browns are the best. Quite a large menu to pick from, all is delicious! I don't think you will be disappointed!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ChicagoHelli
Northbrook, Illinois
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Whether you eat here for breakfast, lunch or dinner, The White Gull Inn is our favorite place to eat in Door County.
Breakfast favorites are the HASH BROWNS (the best we've ever had), coffee cake, etc.
The dining experience is so cozy and romantic with the lighting and atmosphere.
You can get a three course meal for $25.....and it is fantastic.
Don't miss out on this amazing experience at the oldest Inn in Door County.
We went here for four of our meals on our long weekend visit, which says a lot!!!!
Here's to THE WHITE GULL INN!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 3 January 2013

When I was a young girl in the summer of 1970, I worked here for a summer job to earn some money for college. I was paid a somewhat meager wage, and lived with some of the other girls up in the attic lofts. We did everything - cleaned, made beds, served food, danced the Highland Fling... There was an older man who drank a lot of beer each night and presided over the fish boils, and the more beer he consummed, the better he played the accordion and the higher the flames rose when he tossed the gasoline on the fire to make the cauldrons overflow their froth before taking out the wire baskets of white fish and potatoes to serve. It was quite a show and a lot of fun, and I was 18 and beginning life. My boyfriend lived in nearby Peninsula State Park, and occassionally played the piano during the nightly fish boils to earn a little money and get some free food and beer. It was a memorable summer, the sort that movies are made from.

Fast forward to 2012, and I am visiting Fish Creek for the first time since that idyllic summer 42 years ago. I park in town and walk over to the White Gull Inn to see if they have vacancy. They don't, but there is room for the fish boil and I decide to enjoy both a tasty dinner and relive the past.

Maybe it is the wear and tear of four decades of life, but I somehow hoped that those magical times would just merge back into the present for alittle while. They did not. The food was good, and the atmosphere in the place was very nice. But it seemed like a place for older, well-to-do tourists, which it probably was in 1970 as well, but it just seemed pretentious to me while it seemed genuine back in 1970. All of Fish Creek has gone upscale though, and I can't blame any of the local businesses for trying to raise prices and cash in on a more upscale clientele. It is just sad, though, that some of the local flavor is gone. Back in 1970, there were still a lot of local people who would come to the fish boils, and if not at the White Gull Inn, then at some less touristy place. But the towns along the Bay have fallen on hard times and live off of tourists from Chicago, Milwaukee and other cities, and so they have had to change and lose their local charm. It is too bad.

The White Gull Inn serves a wonderful fish boil, and I highly recommend it. It is a little pricey, but so is everything else in the touristy Door County in summertime. I wish I could go back to 1970 and have the dreams, and body and wonder of the great wide world that i was just beginning to experience, and I thought that maybe i could recapture that, but it proved not possible, and I feel much older.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank WindWolfess
Rocheport
Reviewed 8 November 2012

We stayed three days and would have liked to have stayed longer! Room was spotless and well appointed. The weather was a bit chilly on arrival, but the gas fireplace made it feel cozy and welcoming. In the morning our hot tea and news paper awaited us just outside our door. Breakfast was wonderful in the dining room---so many choices and all delicious! The fish boil was fun and unique. Highly recommend!! All said, this is one of the nicest Inns we have stayed and we hope to return to. Fish Creek has many shops , and is a lovely town to explore.

Room Tip: We toured the property and every room-though different is beautiful and spacious