“Loved this Inn! Peaceful and Wonderful Location!”
Review of White Gull Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fish Creek
White Gull Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Fish Creek B&B and Inns
Elburn, Illinois
“Loved this Inn! Peaceful and Wonderful Location!”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We had the Welcher House - Room 8 and I do believe it is the best room for quiet and privacy. The room is so beautiful and very large with great seating area. The room is upstairs - if you can not do stairs - be sure and get ground floor room. Bathroom included large jacuzzi for 2. Very nice robes. There is TV but who really needs it in Door County. The room was clean and there was daily maid service. It faces the front but the road isn't too busy because essentially it is a dead end road that leads to shoreline. Our room was quiet and peaceful and we liked looking out the front. Across the street to the is wooded area. Some of the rooms in the back of the Welcher House wouldn't have much privacy in the morning b/c the whole entire patio gets full of people waiting for breakfast and in the evening that same area is full of people for the fish boil. The Rooms in the Cliff House that look towards the church gardens would have good privacy too. I haven't stayed in the main house so it's hard for me to say about them but knowing how loud breakfast is... I would probably choose the Welcher House over the Main House because I expect there could be some noise in the morning. The Inn is less than 1 block to Sunset Beach and less than 1 block to get to the start of the stores and the downtown area. The Inn is just several blocks from the Marina too. There was plenty of on street parking right by the hotel. There is bike rack there to lock up the bikes. Our room came with free breakfast. They let you order whatever you want from the menu and then just bring the receipt and slip showing you have free breakfast to the front desk. No $ limit or anything. We always enjoyed breakfast. We just called at least 30 min before we wanted to go down and they always had a table for us in about 5 min of our arrival when customers that were not hotel guests were waiting 45 min. I will leave separate review about the food... but it was good. The hotel also provides unlimited bottled water. This is great feature. We loved our stay here and will def. come back. We went to all the rest of the towns up in Door County and liked Fish Creek the best. We loved that we could walk to downtown restaurants and bars and night and walk back. Coopers Corner is close by and had good live music and drinks on Friday night. I was actually quite surprised the Inn had WIFI. I did not see that on their website and they did not mention it during check in either.... we almost didn't try - but they do have it and you do not need a password. This was great to be able to look up restaurant reviews, etc. We also really liked that they delivered coffee or tea to your room at 7:30am. They do not wake you - they leave it outside your door in thermos type container on nice tray. This seems much more elegant than making your own like most hotels do. That being said... for some reason our tray never included sugar so be sure and tell when exactly what you want your tray to contain when you check in and they ask. I called down on the first day and they brought up sugar within minutes. The third floor of the main house contains a "library". It is not much of a library but I wish we would have found this place sooner b/c it opens up to a balcony porch with couple chairs and table and has great view of the fish boil. Next time - I will def. go up there to watch a fish boil and just enjoy the great view and fresh air. When we checked in they explained they had DVD's you could borrow, games, etc. We did not partake but great for rainy days! One thing that I do wish my room would have had was a mini fridge. They could easily place this in the closet. There was no way to keep cold stuff cold. We brought small cooler and went to hotel front desk daily to get more ice. It seems like it would help reduce tasks of their employees if they provided mini fridge b/c fewer people would come to front desk asking for ice. Plus they could put several bottles of water in it daily (maid service could do this) and would save people coming to the front desk asking for bottled water too. Overall - we had a great experience and would def. come here again. I think the trick is to reserve well in advance to get the room that you want. Everyone likes different things... so I am sure there is something for everyone.

Room Tip: Welcher 8 is best room! See my review for more info!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank kariensean

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I wanted to take my new southern husband to see some of the special things around my home state of Wisconsin. Milwaukee, Beer, Brats, Green Bay Packers, family and Door County. You can't do much more in a week. We stayed at the White Gull Inn in Fish Creek. What a delight! Relaxing with beautiful rooms. Each has a special feel with the staff being very nice. I loved the extras such as chocolate in the rooms upon arrival and tea/coffee in the morning outside of your room. We loved it. We would go back!

Room Tip: We had a room with a screen porch. It was mild that week and we enjoyed it the entire time. Make s...
1 Thank Suzanne C
snyders corner, il
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Overall, I'd give the White Gull Inn a solid "B"--there were definitely outstanding points (the food) and not-great aspects, but they pretty much balance each other out. My thoughts from our trip over Labor Day weekend 2013:

Comfort: B-. Our room in the Welker House was beautiful and modern. I did see that it was an accessible room in the website description, but I didn't realize that meant the shower had a lower profile; my tall husband barely fit. Also, the mattress was VERY firm. Too firm for our tastes. Also, the layout of the room could have been better; every night, we would have to rearrange the furniture in the little seating area just so that we could see the TV from the bed. If the management reads this, I strongly suggest ditching the CD player and replacing it with a mini refrigerator. I doubt many people actually use the CD player, but a fridge would have been great to keep bottles of cold water and other items, like medicine or food in.

Cleanliness: A+. Very clean room; every morning we would see several staff members around cleaning when we left. They all did a great job.

Food: A+. This is where they really excel. Quite frankly, I've had better stuffed French Toast, but it was still good. The portions are very generous and the prices are reasonable (and breakfast is included if you stay at the Inn.). I also REALLY appreciate that breakfast is served until 2:30 p.m.; when I'm on vacation, I don't want to have to set the alarm to make it to breakfast. The coffeecake was absolutely fabulous and definitely big enough to share. They also have enough variety to please just about any taste.

Friendliness: A-. It just depends on who you get. The servers in the restaurant were mostly wonderful and took very good care of us. A young woman at the front desk was also lovely and very helpful. However, when we first checked in, there was no one at the front desk and we had to wait a while; finally, we had to go into the restaurant to find someone to help us. That person didn't seem to really care.

Location: A. It's quiet and picturesque, and every morning the view was gentle sunlight filtering through the dense cedars. The main area of Fish Creek is within walking distance, as is Sunset Beach. Parking can be a little dicey, but we managed to park nearby even on busy Fish Boil nights.

The White Gull Inn was overall a fine experience and we enjoyed ourselves. If you're looking for a quiet stay in Door County, it's worth checking out.

Room Tip: Suite 7 in Welker House is wheelchair accessible, so the switches are set lower on the walls. Also...
3 Thank PinkFluffyCupcake
Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Wanting to try a Door County Fish Boil? This is a great place to check out. Reservations required! About $20. per adult plenty to eat, boiled white fish, red potato, cole slaw, fresh bread & pie. Have visited here before - always has very good food and wonderful cherry pie - Lots of whole cherries not filler jelly!
Good narrative and history of fish boils as wood fire heats pot and cooks dinner. Buffet type serving well run. Staff helpful in removing fish bones and waiting on customers. Light live music during our dinner was nice but one guest a bit obnoxious with his rude prolonged mocking clapping. Overall a great time and staff was generally helpful and polite. Food was good fresh and tasted very good, left with a full belly and a good lesson about fish boils. :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mr_Rick_2016
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 30 August 2013

while we didn't stay at the hotel itself we were there for the Fish Boil and it was fabulous! We got there early and sat outside and watched the fish boil process and then it was time for dinner and the meal itself was delicious and then they brought out the cherry pie and words cant describe how wonderful it was. After dinner we went down to the lake and watched the sunset! it was a perfect ending to our vacation!

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in Room #7, which is in a separate building on the first floor. The room was very comfortable with built in bookcase/fireplace, sofa, and chairs. The king size bed was great. The delivered coffee and newspaper in the morning was a nice touch. We enjoyed breakfast each morning: cherry French toast, omelet, daily coffee cake, blueberry pancakes. We also went to the fish boil which was very entertaining and good food. I ate seconds (although you have to like whitefish). Staff was very friendly and helpful. One wish was that there be outdoor chairs for relaxing in the sun when the days are cool. Although we had nice private veranda outside our room, it was cool in the shade. Also, there is much space in the main building lobby for relaxing as most of the space is taken up by restaurant guests. The location of the hotel is perfect. It's just a short walk to sunset beach and into town.

2 Thank MrB003
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I read about the White Gull Inn while researching our trip to Door County and knew I had to try their cherry stuffed french toast. I was REALLY looking forward to this breakfast and was not disappointed! It was absolutely delicious and not overly sweet, which was a pleasant surprise.

The service was outstanding. We went on the 4th of July and it was very busy. The staff handled it great. They have an outdoor seating area where you can drink coffee and read the paper while you wait. We will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor
Newport Resort
Newport Resort
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to White Gull Inn? Share your experiences!