“Simply Lovely!”
Review of White Gull Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fish Creek
White Gull Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Fish Creek B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 November 2009

Our first time at the White Gull Inn, but not our last! Loved our cozy, spotless room in the Cliffhouse and especially the coffee and newspaper that arrived every day, even on one very rainy one! We found a parking space on the street nearby, an easy walk to our room via a pretty stone path strewn with golden autumn leaves! It's easy to see why the restaurant is popular- breakfasts from the full menu were a treat, especially the warm, fresh baked coffee cakes! Our "winter" package included two candlelight dinners as well, and we availed ourselves of two wonderful seafood selections, just delicious! Friendly and accomodating staff all around and a convenient and beautiful location made this a perfect 3 day get away for us!! This is Door County at its' best!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Christine1112

Reviewed 21 October 2009

The White Gull Inn tries to satisfy too many needs. The front desk experience can be chaotic. The same area serves both as cashier for the restaurant and as the check in/check out area for the inn. One can not over state the business generated by the restaurant. We wondered if there were any other breakfasts in town. The parking is problematic. The lot for the inn is small. Perhaps, there are a dozen spaces or so. Street parking is available, but one competes with the restaurant patrons and wtih those visiting the park at the end of the road for the "sunset over Lake Michigan" experience.

At check in, we were told that cookies and hot cider would be available at 3:00 p.m. each day. Finding the afternoon cookie setup in the restaurant. was a challenge. The cookies and two bottles of water were on a service tray/table far within the restaurant. When I inquired about the hot cider, a kitchen adventure ensued. After 5 minuts spent waiting, I gave up and took one of the two bottles of water. Do not confuse cookies with "homemade". These were SYSCO (the large, national restaurant provider) "slice and bake" cookies. Think Pillsbury slice and bake, just larger in diameter.

Our room was in the Welker House. There are four rooms in the complex, two up and two down. The rooms are very large with a sitting area separate from the bed. The gas fireplace puts a good amount of heat. A small hall leads to the bathroom, which needs major updating. Large room area and very small bathroom from the 1960s or early 70s. The bathroom literally is a toilet, small sink with little counter space and a fiberglass bath/shower unit with the old aluminun frame. I am not an overly wide person, 5.10", 140 lbs. I can tell you that the tub was the narrowest bathtub I have encountered in my lifetime. Major bathroom renovations are in order when room rates are in excess of $200 per night.!

Breakfast has pros and cons. One orders from the menu, which gives one flexibility. As I stated earlier, the White Gull Inn is an incredibly popular "breakfast spot". The choices tend to be "heavy" eggs items or variations on pancakes and french toast. The only two cereal choices are "Cheerios" and "Raisin Bran". Oddly, there is no oatmeal or granola. I had blueberry buttermilk pancakes one morning and a vegeterain omelet the other morning. "Bland" is the best word to describe the flavor. I should have asked for "hot sauce"! I missed the conversation with fellow guests at the private breakfast at the traditional inn. The trade-oof is choice vs. community.

We did not have dinner at the inn. The "candlelight" dinners are promoted as upscale, but the menu showed otherwise. This is not a place to experience "new American", local sustainable dining, or any quality dining. Frankly. when visiting Door County, one's best bet for dining are the local taverns.

The location is outstanding. We drove throughout Door County and Fish Creek is the best town for walking. Peninsula Park is just out of town and offers fabulous views of Lake Michigan and gorgeous bike trails. Shopping is very limited. Expect just a few candy, fudge, jewelry and clothing stores. Go for the scenery, not for the shopping.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Accounting Professor
Reviewed 10 July 2009

My Husband and I stayed here over the 4th of July for our 1 year annivesary. Fish Creek is the best town to stay in all of Door County. You can walk to everything. You get a huge, breakfast which you get to order a La Carte which had us so full we never ate lunch. Down the Street is Sunset Park. The people that work at the Inn are very kind and service oriented. The best is coming back in the afternoon for Iced Tea and homeade cookies!

Will certainly be back and definitely work the extra money to stay here!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank stephparisoli
Reviewed 1 July 2009

My family and I (including two teenagers and my parents - 76, 78 yrs. old) traveled to Door County in June. We stayed at the White Gull Inn at the Lundberg House. It was perfect for our group. Group consensus - clean, cozy, and charming. Great front porch for relaxing with a glass of wine after shopping!! We highly recommend staying in the Fish Creek area of Door County. Fish Creek provides easy walking to shops and restaraunts where as the other communities seemed more difficult to do a lot of walking - but, definitely visit them by car. We didn't have a view of the bay, but is was a short walk to wonderful sunsets!! The food at White Gull is WONDERFUL!! A great breakfast is included in the cost of the room and you can choose from a menu - a must have for the picky teenagers!! Loved their fish boil. We did the bike path at the state park - it was a bit challenging for my parents (who are in great shape). Several hills and lots of rocks and roots on the path - but a great ride!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank travelinfamily98
Reviewed 12 May 2009

I have been to this hotel 4 times. My wife and I were engaged here. We always stay in the Welker (sp) house but I have also heard the rooms in the main Inn are also very nice. It does seem a little pricey for way up north in Door County, but it is well worth it. We currently live in NY and have made the trip out too Door County from here (orginally from the midwest). Even with all the options out east (nantucket, capecod, marthas vineyard), this location is one of our favorties.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I proposed to my current wife at the White Gull last year (2008), and we went back for a pre-honeymoon "mini-moon" this month. After this, our second trip, we've agreed to come here at least once a year when possible.

A description has to start with the food. First, the coffee cake is to die for. It can't be replicated; I tried. The stuffed french toast is also a signature dish and a must try. The rest of the breakfast menu is standard fare, but it's done well. Have at least one dinner here during your stay. The selection is small, but what they do, they do really well. We had the wisconsin brie with fruit compote for an appetizer; it was great. I had the duck with squash ravioli and andouille sausage. WOW. My wife had a white fish (can't remember what) with cous cous, and she really liked it. Dessert varies, but do try the turtle pie if available.

The rooms vary in type. We stayed both times in the Welcker House, which has 4 suites with large bed/living rooms and a large bathroom with shower and a really nice built-in jacuzzi. Each room in that house has a different decor. The fixtures are very nice. Heck, I'm a guy and I noticed that. Lots of details were taken care of. Each room had a couch and two other cushioned chairs. There's a TV and DVD player and a full stereo system. The only complaint is the bed, which is a little rigid (noticed that last time, too).

The service is great. Front desk is really friendly. There is always a fresh pot of coffee or tea in front of your room at 7 a.m. The wait staff at the restaurant is very friendly. The waitresses are knowledgable about the wine and wine pairings, which is impressive. Roomkeeping is very good.

I gave White Gull 4/5 stars for value because I feel it is a bit overpriced. However, they are a successful business, and they keep the rooms filled for a reason, so I guess they can charge accordingly.

A few tips. Go before the vacation season starts in Door County. We've gone in early April both times. There aren't many people around, which means shops aren't open all the time, but you can get some peace and quiet and enjoy Door County in it's natural, unaltered state. Also, there are a number of good restaurants in the area. We ate at Alexander's which is due north of Fish Creek towards Ephraim. We highly recommend it.

Next time you consider Door County, go White Gull.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TFlexx47
Reviewed 13 October 2008

This by far was one of the best vacations we have had in a long time. The White Gull Inn was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast each morning was amazing and really enjoyed the coffee cake. The fish boil was fun but no music the night we were there and if you don't like to pick bones this may not be for you. All in all we had a wonderful time and would highly recommend it. We plan on making another trip to Door County and would like to stay at the White Gull Inn.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor
Julie's Park Cafe & Motel
Julie's Park Cafe & Motel
#1 of 10 in Fish Creek

Been to White Gull Inn? Share your experiences!