“fun night and good food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Wild Tomato
Ranked #2 of 32 Restaurants in Fish Creek
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Appleton, Wisconsin
“fun night and good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

we ate outside which we were a little nervous about because of the mosquitoes but the waitstaff provided citronella candles and many types of bug repellent. It worked, we were not bothered at all. We had the veggies and hummus appetizer and a great pizza with carmelized onions, chicken, kalamata olives and a tangy sauce. It was very good. The inside is very small and seating does not allow for any privacy which is why we opted for outside seating. We went early (about 5pm) and people were waiting for a table by the time we left. They do a good job with service as far as not waiting too long for food but not feeling rushed to leave

Minneapolis, MN
“As good as everyone says”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

There are so many good reviews of this restaurant you’re hard-pressed to find anything new to say. So when I was here yesterday for lunch, I focused less on the food, and on what exactly makes Wild Tomato the hit that it is.

It’s all in the details.

Two of us were here for lunch on a sunny day, so we sat outside, in the patio area where the big red umbrellas are at just about every table. We also had a pooch with us, another reason we sat outside. As previous reviewers have noted, the greeting staff had an array of good (i.e., not Deep Woods Off) bug sprays because the mosquitoes were everywhere. The spray worked and a frequent breeze helped.

Our server, Elody (I hope I'm spelling that right), was impeccable and attentive without being cloying. She not only brought over a bowl of water for our dog, but took the time to learn and use our pooch’s name. Elody was genuine, not being fakey.

As I watched the patio fill and saw how other servers took care of their patrons much like Elody took care of us, you could understand why you sense a happy buzz in the place: everyone was being taken care of.

We ordered the onion rings and mussels for appetizers, and my companion had a small sausage and red onion pizza while I was boring and had a small plain cheese. First, two average adults can split a small and maybe have a slice each left over, so we ordered WAY too much. It’s making great leftovers!

The onion rings came in a small boat, I kid you not. These were delicate with a very light trace of breading, not the big honker rings you can get that are loaded down with burned-tasting breadcrumbs! The amount provided us with many leftovers and we’re still enjoying them. The mussels arrived with what I mistakenly thought was bright yellow mustard all over them -- but thankfully it was not, Elody reassured me, and she went back to the kitchen to get more details. It was an oil whipped into a mayonnaise-like consistency with saffron added. A light taste that complimented the mussels, and the broth was diVINE. A porous olive bread came with it; I do not like olives so I plucked them out of the bread which was great for dipping into the broth!

My partner loved his pizza, but I found mine to be ordinary. Its main saving quality: the mozzarella was especially tasty and chewy. But I found the crust too blah and I do not like it when the chef leaves the pizza in the brick oven a bit too long so that the whole outside part of the crust burns. Next time, I’ll ask for not-so-well-done.

My partner had the New Glarus Serendipity beer and loved it. I tasted it and found it rich with unusual flavors, but then again, I’m not a huge beer person. I had their own cherry soda -- Door County is famous for its cherry trees -- and I loved it, only slightly bubbly and a mild cherry flavor that was not icky sweet.

All items were delivered with dispatch and short comments so as to not interrupt our conversation. I love that! As readers have seen in my other reviews, I detest it when the server interrupts over and over again to ask, "So, how IS it?" "How is it?" "What do you think?" Please, go away, we’re *eating it*, aren’t we, so doesn’t that tell you something?!

We passed on dessert so I can’t say what those are like. Our total came to about $60.

And I didn’t use the rest room so I can’t comment on that, either.

We took home the pizza and onion rings, as mentioned earlier, and I believe the true test of a solidly good restaurant is how the servers treat the pizza in the (cardboard) box. Do they put foil or deli paper underneath, so that the pizza slices don’t take on the taste of the cardboard? This is vital! Yup, sure enough, Wild Tomato does use deli paper. As typical with Wild Tomato, there was a thoughtful extra in the pizza box: a small container of shredded fresh mozzarella, for use when reheating the leftovers. Wonderful!

The owners are looking to expand into other places in northern Door County, with new concepts. If they are as good with those as they are with Wild Tomato, I’d say we have a Door County dining dynasty on our hands.

Poynette
“Wood fired pizza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We rode our bikes from Ephriam and sat out on the patio to eat. The mosquito's were crazy but they offered us spray and it did help. We had pizza and it was very good. The service was fast and friendly. It is just outside the entrance to Peninsula State Park so we headed there after eating. We did have the apple crisp for desert,it was served warm, it was huge, we were glad we shared it.

Visited June 2014
North Freedom, Wisconsin
“Carry Out-Some of the Best Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was staying with friends and we decided to bring in pizza. The pizzas were so good! One person in our group needed a gluten free crust, if it weren't for unique toppings, it would have been hard to tell the difference. Try the caramelized onions for sure. The mushrooms were especially good and I'm not a big mushroom lover. Really, really good!

Madison, WI
“Green and Gold”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were told to have the green and gold pizza at Wild Tomato. It was very good, and made in a wood burning oven which is fun. They have some very unique pizza and I think it is a must stop for everyone who goes.

That being said it's a little pricey for pizza, and it was not the best pizza I've had in my life, but it was still very good. Good enough that we went there twice for pizza, and the service was so good that we also stopped in an additional time for drinks. Matthew is our guy there, he certainly knows how to make you feel welcome.

Visited May 2014