“Enjoyable Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Enjoyable Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Learned quite a bit about olive oil, who knew? The girl we spoke to was very pleasant and answered all our questions. Gave us quite a bit of history also. It is a very small but when we were there not crowded. I am sure when it is busy can be not so pleasant as I have read in other reviews. Did not experience that at all and will go back again. I do understand why young children would be an issue going in there. There are vats of olive oil in a very small place. Honestly, children don't have to be everywhere! Yes I do have children, would never have considered taking them into a place like that. Don't know too many children interested in olive oil.

Visited May 2014

Chicago, Illinois
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Great oil...not so friendly people”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We have stopped here several times on our trips to door county. They have an amazing 25 year balsamic and some really really good olive oils. We make sure to stock up for the winter. That being said they people in the shop aren't very friendly. They gave us a very hard time about an empty bottle that we brought back saying that we had to put it in the oven and treat it before retuning it for a dollar credit. Really...it's a dollar. They did eventually agree to take it. We overlook the lack of friendliness because of how good the product is.

Curt C, Owner at Curt's Spice Co & Oilerie, Fish Creek, Wi, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for all of your business and your kind words about our products. I am horrified to learn that we mistreated you as a loyal and valued customer. You are absolutely correct. My personal email is Curt@oilerie.com and I encourage you to get in touch with me so that I can make this up to you. Amy Jo and I have worked so very hard to cultivate a customer first atmosphere in our little ship. This should never have happened to you or anyone else.
Again, thank you for your loyalty, it means the world to us.
Most Sincerely
Curt & Amy Jo
Green Bay, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Rude and condescending staff; very disorganized.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

It was a busy Saturday, but there was absolutely NO order. I came in for the first time ever and was met with chaos. Over a dozen people jammed into the tiny little shop; some waiting in line to pay, others waiting for service. I came there for one thing, and found it on my own. Here's where I was insulted by the staff:

There were so many customers everywhere, that the sign informing us that customers were not allowed to fill the oil bottles themselves was blocked by people. I truly did not see the sign, and was perplexed by the lack of order and service, so I filled the little bottle with oil and proceeded to the checkout line. I was then confronted by a staff member who asked very loudly with a sharp accusatory tone, like I had just committed a mortal sin, "Did you fill this bottle yourself?" Based on her tone, I hesitantly answered "Yes." She then continued her attempt to embarrass me in front of everyone by asking even louder "Didn't you see the signs?? (pointing at small 4inch sign) and says "They're EVERYWHERE."

I replied "No, actually, I didn't see the sign. And they're NOT EVERYWHERE." I then informed her that there was no need to be rude about it. She just smirked and walked away. I put the bottle down and walked out. I will not be going back. I'd rather give my money to a business who treats their customers with respect.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Dr_Rob_44
Curt C, Owner at Curt's Spice Co & Oilerie, Fish Creek, Wi, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank you for visiting our little shop in beautiful Fush Creek. I am sorry that you did not notice any of the 24 signs asking you not to pick up the empty bottles or attempt to fill the empty bottles. Amy Jo was simply asking for feedback as she was truly puzzled by your actions.
Iowa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Response to Adults Only Complaint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

My husband and I recently visited the Oilerie and wondered why there was a sign in the window that it was an "adult" experience and thought it was odd. We are also parents of young teen children who didn't want to go in with us and we were glad, and here's why: There are large containers of all kinds of olive oils and vinegars each with a spout and small cups for tasting. I would have been scared that my normally well-behaved children would find it way too interesting and start pulling spouts, over-filling the tasting cups and making a mess of the place. I am a gourmet cook and love to have my kids in the kitchen cooking with me but would not want them in that store. Our clerk was courteous, well spoken about the products and we came home with a few bottles of great oils and vinegars. I do understand your feelings on this but I understand where the shopkeeper is coming from as well.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank SkyeIowa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“They really don't like kids!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

If you decide to visit the Oilerie, leave your kids at home or at least in the car. We stopped in with our grandkids, ages 12 & 9, and we were abruptly told that this was an adult only shop. Our grandkids are very well behaved, can sit through a 3 hour musical at the PAC in Appleton, but they can't look at Olive Oil. Seriously?? I have always thought that Door County was a family experience, but apparently Curt didn't get the message from the Door County Chamber of Commerce.

Visited May 2013
8 Thank Lawry L
Curt C, Owner at Curt's Spice Co & Oilerie, Fish Creek, Wi, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for visiting beautiful Door County and our little village of Fish Creek. Amy Jo and I started the store back in 2003 and we believe that in a food related business "Cleanliness is next to Godliness". Our stainless steel tanks are polished every morning before we open and our shop is kept spotless by our great staff. The problem usually is not with the children but rather with the parents who do not watch over their children.

We love children and there are many, many places for them in Door County but our little store is intended for adults and children over the age of 13.

Again, thank you for visiting beautiful Door County.