“They give tribute to local provisioners”

The Cookery Restaurant & Wine Bar
Ranked #3 of 33 Restaurants in Fish Creek
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Description: The Cookery is a family run restaurant and wine bar in Fish Creek since 1977. Serving "fresh food, expertly prepared" (Midwest Living, Best of the Midwest). Our menu features American fare with a creative twist, all menu items are made from start to finish in our kitchen. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served daily. Also offering a nice selection of vegetarian entrees and gluten free items.
Chicago, Illinois
“They give tribute to local provisioners”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

From the greeting at the door - even though it was super busy - to the thank you when we left, it was a pleasure to dine at the Cookery. It's a casual place and they welcome singles, date night couples as well as families.
Although we didn't go upstairs, I understand there's wine bar - with a happy hour and view of the bay - and we did enjoy the smooth live music as it drifted to the dining level below where we had dinner.
Everything is locally sourced and the owners pay tribute to those providers by including their names on he menu. We had a roasted beet and quinoa salad that has inspired me to try to replicate it at home. Fresh fish - the famous Door County whitefish as well as lake perch (it was perfectly cooked) and Alaska salmon were hits at our table as was a shrimp/pasta dish.
I must also mention the use of Door County cherries - it was picking time so the cherries were delicious, sweet with a tinge of tartness. They added interest in an apple/walnut salad.
And, of course, they were present in some of the desserts. My cherry pie brought back memories of a visit to Door County many years ago.
We weren't able to return for breakfast - that was disappointing as that menu was also enticing.
Note - The menu includes dishes for those who are gluten free as well as vegetarians.
The Cookery will not disappoint.

Marshfield, Wisconsin
“Great food, atmosphere, and service!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We were sat quickly at an outdoor table which was nicely shaded by the landscaping. Our waiter was very pleasant and attentive, happily complying with special requests (no gorgonzola cheese on my sister in law's salad, but I said I would take it for my sandwich, which was done). The food quality was excellent, couldn't be happier with the service, and I thought the prices on everything were very reasonable. I would eat here again and recommend it to friends.

Quebec, Canada
“More than a five stars”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We first came here for breakfast and when I saw the french toast on the menu, I looked no further. It was served with an excellent cherry sauce and topped with real wipped cream. A pure delight...My wife ventured to try their poached eggs and she was very satisfied by the serving, eggs perfectly done, the plate came with the classic hashbrown potatoes, which we don't have where we live.
On our second visit for supper, we tried their homemade ginger limonade, the whitefish chowder soup, the sockeye salmon and the perch dinner. All were excellent, service was number one and the thick wooden tables give a warm feeling to the place.
There was also nice quiet live music while we ate.

Peoria, Illinois
“Could have been better”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have been here before and had a great lunch. This time we went for dinner with the kids. They put the four of us at a very small table when there were large booths filled with only two. I had the walleye which was very good. Wife had the salmon which was good, but veggies were cold. Bake potatoes were very small. Kids had grilled cheese and soup which were good. Nice atmosphere but a bit pricey. Our bill was $74.00 plus tip. I had a tap beer and the kids' drinks were expensive, which added up quickly. The biggest issue for my wife is that they were out of the whitefish, which is a Door County favorite. It was a Monday night and it was only 6:30 pm. She had her taste buds set on the whitefish, but it was not to be!

• Visited July 2014
caskare00, Owner at The Cookery Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
We are happy to hear you have enjoyed lunch at our restaurant in the past and are sorry to hear that your dinner were not up to your expectations. We were, unfortunately, out of whitefish that evening. After a busy weekend, we had sold out of whitefish. We purchase our whitefish from a local supplier and and were not able to get a delivery until the next day. It is rare that we are out of whitefish, we hope that you will dine with us again and have the opportunity to try the whitefish.
Madison, Wisconsin
“An excellent package”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We wandered in for a late lunch, and regretted not finding this place earlier in our stay. The food was very good, the service friendly, attentive, and personable, the setting interesting and pleasant.

The food was nearly good enough to rate "excellent" -- but I reserve that for destination restaurants. Our food did not have that degree of ambition, but the next time I'm in Door County, I will stay in Fish Creek so I can eat here.