“Breakfast was great”

Price range: US$6 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Award-winning restaurant open to the public. Winner of Good Morning America's Best Breakfast Award. Sumptuous lunches, candlelight dinners and famous for traditional Door County whitefish boils. Open all year.
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We arrived on a Friday morning and had to wait about 10 minutes for a table. We all tried something different off the breakfast menu and we all enjoyed our selections. I tried the nice guy hash and I loved it. Great atmosphere and the staff was friendly. One of the best breakfast places I've ever visited.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Breakfast at the White Gull Inn was wonderful. We arrived right at 7:30 because we had heard that there's a wait if you arrive much later. That was good advice because when we left an hour later, there was a line. Coffee was rich and our cups were always filled. I had the stuffed cherry French toast, which was outstanding. It was great that you could get half an order, which was plenty. My husband had cherry pancakes, which were also very tasty (I know because I finished the last few bites). The atmosphere was very homey, like you were eating in an old country home.

2  Thank ScoutsMom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Prior to our visit to Door County, we were told we HAD to do a fish boil, so we visited the White Gull Inn to do just that. Watching the boil itself and hearing the story is actually pretty neat, but when it came to the meal--in my opinion it was lacking.

First off, it's going to run you around $20/person to do the boil. The potatoes are okay, the bread is okay--everything is just okay and in my mind, if I'm paying $20 it should be better than okay. You get a lot for $20 (fish, potatoes, bread, coleslaw, cherry pie) but the quality isn't there. The real bummer to me though was the fish. Unbeknownst to us, the fish comes with the skin on and you have to debone your own. A waitress comes around and instructs you how to do it, but even after it was deboned, you'll still find yourself pulling pin bones out which isn't overly appetizing. Aside from that, the fish itself was very bland--even after using lemon, salt and pepper.

I don't know anything about their regular menu, but I would not return for a fish boil.

4  Thank StephMarieM
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Everything about this place was top shelf. The staff was friendly and attentive and the atmosphere was rustic and quiet. I had the Brie, apple, and ham open face sandwich. Incredible! The lemon poppyseed cake finished an excellent meal. No pressure to leave so we dawdled over lunch for almost two hours. Definitely a must when in Fish Creek.

1  Thank Steve T
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We walked into the white gull inn and were taking to the host and hostess when my 3 year old daughter started vomiting. She must have gotten car sick on the way there. They were so helpful and understanding. They couldn't have been nicer. I was trying to help clean it up and the last said not to worry at all that she would take care of it. Once we got her cleaned up and changed we went back in and had a fantastic breakfast. I had the cherry and cream cheese stuffed French toast. It wasn't too sweet and it tasted fantastic. We will definitely be back!