“Door County Fall Weekend”

Thorp House Inn and Cottages
Ranked #1 of 5 Fish Creek B&B and Inns
Medinah, Illinois
“Door County Fall Weekend”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Great location in Fish Creek. Great Spa package $65 for a 60 minute massage at Spa Verde in Egg Harbor for all guests staying at Thorp House Inn. We had a very nice and relaxing stay in the Emma room. We also looked at the cottages, very clean and well equipped. I would recommend staying at the Inn or the cottages. The staff is very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
MelanieCamp, Owner at Thorp House Inn and Cottages, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
We're glad you enjoyed your stay. Our package with Spa Verde is new this year and has been very popular. Thanks for the recommendation!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We had planned to stay here for 2 nights for a mini honeymoon after our wedding, but had to cut our stay short. The building and room were quite beautifully decorated and the staff was friendly and helpful. However, due to a lack of hot water and an uncomfortable bed we ended up leaving a night early. We were assured this was not a regular complaint and that they would do what they could to rectify the situation and make sure this didn't happen to another guest. The owner of the establishment was very understanding an apologetic and gave us a full refund for our stay.

1 Thank tgallas
Thank you for sharing your experience. As you stated, it was an unfortunate situation that we wish could be avoided. I am pleased that we were able address your concerns to your satisfaction.
Texas
Reviewed 2 October 2011

My husband and I spent one night in one of the cottages. Admittedly I was surprised when we made the reservation that we were told to bring our own towels, but we did. Upon our arrival, the proprietor said, well, you want to see the place or do all the paperwork first? Well, since it was late in the day, and we were tired, we said lets do the paperwork first. Needless to say there wasn't that much paperwork (?) except tons and tons of rules of what you canNOT do. We have stayed in many B&B's and this was our first with this type of welcome. I realize she has other customers that rent for a week at a time, but, jeez, what happened to warm welcoming? Then she proceded to tell us all of the things that would cost us extra money. Like we did pick a cabin with a 'real' fireplace, only to check in and find out they charge you for the wood!!! AND starter!!!??? ( and yes, I have stayed at a B&B for a weeks time and in Colorado during ski season where you use a lot more wood than this time of year). Then we were instructed what to do with all of our trash ... ... remember, this was a one nite stay.
Like I said earlier, we were told to bring towels, but did not know we needed to also bring kitchen towels, and bath mats, etc. I have never stayed in any place where there is a full kitchen, no towels and not even a sampling of coffee!!!!!??? (She had previously told us she could not provide us a breakfast because of some laws and her cottage, but could not believe why she did not invite us to 'take a pastry' while we were in there checking out.) Yes, we did eventually find a roll of paper towels in the kitchen but still in its plastic and we figured if we opened it, we would be charged for that as well.
Needless to say, we would have been way better off at a Super 8.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
MelanieCamp, Owner at Thorp House Inn and Cottages, responded to this review, 15 October 2011
As a small business owner, it is discouraging to receive feedback that a warm welcome was not provided to a guest. Unfortunately, we failed to effectively communicate our policies and services to this guest and therefore were unable to meet expectations. I am thankful, however, that the primary concerns were limited to towels (which the guest was aware she needed to bring with her and still chose to book a cottage) and the purchase of firewood (at a cost of $4 a bundle). Our policies (to include the one-page cottage rental agreement) and services are clearly posted on our website and we highly encourage our guests to review them prior to their arrival. But in the event they don’t, we make every effort to explain them upon check-in. The B&B amenities (to include breakfast and full room service) are provided only to guests in the 5-room Inn due to facility restrictions and state licensing requirements. Our policies on firewood and towels are limited to the cottages. Our cottages are fully stocked with every other amenity to include kitchen equipment, bed linens, soap and paper products. The only additional cost when staying in a cottage is the option to purchase firewood. These policies allow us to provide the best value to meet the various needs of our customers and are common to the local area for cottage rentals. Melanie Camp – Owner, Thorp House Inn & Cottages
arkansas
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We just returned home from a road trip circling Lake Michigan. One of our favorite stops was Thorp House Inn. We stayed three nights in the "Maria" Room. The home is lovely, innkeeper welcoming, and Door county area delightful. Ordered the reprinted "Bittersweet" by LaVyrle Spence before we went and enjoyed staying in the inn that inspired the novel. Area favorites, Fish Boil at White Gull Restaurant, Light houses, Cave Point, Peninsula State Park, exploring the small shops and galleries and sitting on the wide Veranda of Thorp House.

Room Tip: We stayed in a smaller room and it was lovely. Two other suites were grand with tubs.
Naperville
Reviewed 12 September 2011

While not the luxury of the White Gull Inn, this is a reasonably priced little spot with homy cottages that offer all the basics right in downtown Fish Creek. Its definitely rustic but has everything you need. We stayed in the Lark Cottage which had a nice living area and a little kitchen. The bathroom is a bit dated and could use some upgrading. Overall was very enjoyable and we'll probably go back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We stayed in the Dove Cottage over a three day weekend in September 2011. The cottage was fine, but I was not overly impressed by it. It was very musty smelling and dated. In my opinion, there is a difference between rustic and dated, and the cottage did not really feel "country quaint." Rather, we felt like we were staying at my grandmother's house. There is a second bedroom in the cottage with bunk beds, and it was very dark and creepy. We kept the door closed to that bedroom the whole time.

On the plus side, I thought the bed was very comfortable, but my boyfriend thought it was too soft. Also, the cottage is within walking distance to all of the stores and shops in Fish Creek, which is definitely an added plus. We did not really feel like we received much of a warm welcome when we checked in, but the individual who checked us out was very interested in what we thought of our stay, which was appreciated.

I just wasn't wowed with the cottage. We'll stay somewhere else the next time we're in town.

Thank B.G._Chicago
MelanieCamp, Owner at Thorp House Inn and Cottages, responded to this review, 11 September 2011
Thank you for your feedback. Although I would obviously prefer rave reviews, I appreciate any and all comments so that I may continue to improve the property. As a new small business owner (I recently purchased the Inn and Cottages five months ago in April 2011), I am always looking for input from my guests in order to ensure the best experience possible for them. As I plan for maintenance projects to complete during the winter and spring, your feedback will help focus my efforts. I am hopeful that my attention to detail and willingness to proactively address comments that all of my guests bring to my attention will allow you to reconsider staying with us again at some future date. My goal is to provide outstanding service and value for all of my guests and I will continue to take the necessary actions to achieve this goal. Melanie Camp – Owner, Thorp House Inn & Cottages
Astoria, New York
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My husband and I just returned from our Wisconsin wedding weekend and I must say that the Thorp House Inn was truly delightful. We shared 3 fantastic nights in the cozy "Maria" room. Melanie was a very gracious hostess, always there to help, remembering our names, & even sending us a bottle of champagne on our wedding night! This beautiful B & B helped make our wedding weekend absolutely perfect! Thank you!

Room Tip: The Maria Room is romantic and cozy!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor
The Ashbrooke
The Ashbrooke
#1 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Thorp House Inn and Cottages? Share your experiences!