This was our second time in Door County (our son goes to a music camp in Egg Harbor). Last year we'd stayed in a B&B in Sturgeon Bay, which was very nice, and less expensive, but Fish Creek is a much better location. From Thorp House you can easily walk to a number of great restaurants, from casual to elegant to traditional Door County Fish Boil, as well as many shops.
The house itself is beautiful, tastefully decorated with beautiful antiques. It was awfully nice to be able to sit out on the large covered porch in the morning with my cup of coffee and a book while my wife was still sleeping.
We split our stay between two rooms. The first two nights were in the Emma, which had a large, comfortable canopy bed, and various antiques. There wasn't any closet, although there was a coat rack you could use, but there was a spacious nook to put our suitcases. There was also a large bathroom with a gorgeous 2-person whirlpool tub under a skylight. And since I'm sure you are wondering, yes, if you turn off all the lights, you can see the stars through the skylight- lovely and romantic.
Our final night we spent in the Eliza, a considerably smaller (and cheaper) room downstairs. It certainly wasn't as elegant as the Emma, although there was a walk-in closet, it was plenty nice, and cheaper than most chain hotels. It was also nice that they moved our bags to the new room for us after they were cleaned.
I always worry about whether the rooms will be quiet when I stay at a B&B, but no problems here. And despite unusually extreme heat, the rooms were comfortable.
Breakfast was good, not great. There was fresh fruit which was always good, followed by a personal-sized egg strata (which varied by day- a southwest one time, artichoke the next). The stratas allowed the guests to eat when they chose (between 8:30 and 10) rather than having a preset time that everyone needed to be there. There were also muffins, which were fair, as well as granola and yogurt available. Certainly decent food to get you going for the day, but not memorable.
The owner was friendly and interesting to talk to. Due to the open breakfast hours, we didn't end up sitting with other guests most of the time, but Melanie kept us company.
We would absolutely come back here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For over 100 years, Thorp House Inn & Cottages has welcomed visitors to the charming village of Fish Creek. The five unique guest rooms in the Inn offer the authentic ambiance of a bygone era amidst the spectacular natural beauty of the Door County peninsula. Whirlpools and fireplaces are available. The Cottages at Thorp House Inn have a charm and following all of their own. They are just what you had in mind... cozy and private... nestled in the pines... close to the beach... in the heart of the village. Walk to shops, restaurants, Peninsula State Park and much more. Each cottage is decorated in country antiques and has its own unique character. Most have fireplaces and some have whirlpools. Both the Inn and Cottages are open year-round. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Thorp House Inn and Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thorp House Inn And Cottages Hotel Fish Creek
- Thorp House Inn And Cottages Fish Creek, WI - Door County