“Nice renovated hotel”

Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Fond du Lac
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night since we had plans in town and didn't want to take a chance driving after a few drinks. It has a very nice bar and restaurant inside and the staff was very friendly. The room was clean the bed comfortable.
We were only slightly disappointed that a pepsi in the vending machine cost $2.25 and was warm. We figured we would just put them in the refrigerator in the room to chill but that wasn't working either. It wouldn't stop me from staying or recommending the property for a stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for the heads up on the soda machine not cooling as well. Your feedback is very important to us. We look forward to seeing you again soon and thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Was in Fond du Lac for a week and stayed at the holiday inn. One day they forgot to give me a wake up call. The hotel seems to have been renovated since the last time I was there in 2012. I had a room next to the Holidome and should have switched as it was too loud. The exercise room was fine as long as you are the only one in there. When there are two people on the treadmill, one on the elliptical, and you are on the bike and the tv is on it is way too loud. That gym is too small for the equipment they have in there. The breakfast was fine nothing to write home about. The rooms are ok and show some wear. This is about as good as it gets in Fond du Lac, I guess.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so if you have luggage, stay on the first floor, IMHO. And get a room that is n...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

I am so sorry we missed your wake up call, because I know how your day can go once your off to a late start. Yes, the rooms around the pool are not where you want to be if your looking for rest. We are looking into the elevator because it is one of our biggest request. I hope the next time you stay with us, you ask to see me so I can apoligize in person for that missed wake up call and make sure you get a room in a quite area. Thank you for taking the time to write and let us know about your stay.

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I stay in many many hotels a year and have stayed at this hotel 15 times or so in last 2 years. They have made nice updates to restaurant and lobby / meeting areas. Unfortunately the rooms and pool areas are still very dated. Not dirty, not inhabitable, just dated. It feels like they could have put improvement dollars into the rooms. Mattress pads, tv's etc. won't stop me from staying here as I travel through but just expect a little more for the price.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

It was nice to hear that you like the improvements we've made so far with this hotel. We do have plans to continue doing more to the hotel. I hope we've been treating you well since you stay with us often. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We've been having our family reunion at this hotel for almost 25 years. The staff goes out of their way to help with room accommodations, extra tables and chairs in the pool area for our family and all of the other families that have reunions there.

This is a Holidome with a Pool, sauna, large game room, pool tables, Air Hockey, etc. There is a lot to do!

The rooms and common areas are always very clean, the bedding is very comfortable, and the rooms are a nice size.

We have a lot of great hotels within an hours drive but we always choose this one because it's great!

Room Tip: This is a hotel for families. If you are single or a couple, I would suggest letting the staff know...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

We are glad to hear you enjoyed another year with your family at our hotel. This is one nice hotel for family gathering and sports teams. It is very true also as you mentioned that if you're staying here on a weekend and you are not with a group to let us know and we will do our best to find you an area away from all the group events going on. The staff and I look forward to many more years of having your family reunion with us. We thank you for the very nice comments and appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to share your experience with us and thank you for your loyalty to us.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The staff seems friendly but the biggest problem with this hotel is that the pool area is open far too late. Could not get a wink of sleep because there was a large group of people playing cards, drinking excessively and making noise until almost midnight. Not to mention hockey kids running down the halls all night. My room faced the pool. I would probably return if they just closed the pool area at a more reasonable time.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your suggestion on closing the pool earlier. The Management Staff has begun to take a look at the pool hours, both opening and closing times. This weekend was very busy and not a normal weekend. We learn best from our guests and the reviews assist us with the decisions we make. Upon your return visit, please mention that you woudl like to be away from the pool area and we would be happy to accomodate. We will do our best the next time you are in the area to find you a room that is more quiet. We hope you see you in the near future!

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Was here for a week in Feb 2014.

It's an older hotel, with two stories and no elevator. But the staff is really pleasant and friendly. The service is truly top notch. My room was immaculate every day after cleaning and the cleaning staff are very friendly. I had a minor issue with my sink - reported it around 10am as I was leaving and when I came back at noon it was fixed. I would stay here again with no hesitation.

Also, the hotel wifi is the fastest of any hotel I've been in! It was much faster than fancy hotels I've stayed at in big cities.

In-room fridge & microwave, widescreen tv, comfortable bed.

My advice would be to stay on the second floor. The outside doors slam hard and I wouldn't want to be in a room next to one. Also, headlights at night would likely shine into your room.

I don't care for the placement of the desk in the room - it's right next to the HVAC so either you leave it on and get blasted as you sit or turn it off and freeze. Also, I wish the room had a container for ice, but that's a minor nit.

Room Tip: Definitely go second floor. And note your door - you can park outside it instead of having to go th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

I would like to thank you for the very pleasant review. It is always nice to hear when people enjoy staying with us. What is really nice about your review is the number of things you commented on which helps us know what a guest likes or dislikes. Also, I do have to give credit to the great people we have working at this hotel. As I've stated before they really do care and want to be your family while your away from home. We look forward to seeing you again. Thanks for taking time to let us know the pros and cons of your stay with us.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

My wife and I arrived at the Holiday inn in Fond Du Lac on Sunday afternoon 26th January for a 3 night stay. Having read the some of the other reviews I cannot believe they are talking about the same property. We arrived in freezing cold weather and were greeted cheerily by Barbara one of the receptionist. She was a delight to talk to and we felt immediately at home. We occupied room 108 on the ground floor and it was adequate both in size and decor, also it was overlooking the swimming pool and I do mean a swimming pool, unlike many hotels where a paddling pool would be a better descriptive. Our room was very clean and also had plenty of towels etc. The ladies who cleaned the rooms were cheery and very helpful at all times and left us in no doubt that they both enjoyed and valued their jobs. We did not dine in the restaurant on the first night as we were out with friend and business acquaintances but the restaurant is now fully updated and is called Benvenutos Italian Grill. We had an excellent breakfast there on the following morning and on Monday evening my wife and I dined on Pizza and Calzone both of which were delicious.
Again on the Tuesday evening we dined there again this time with a friend and again almost all the food was delicious with one exception which was the fillet steak my wife as to be medium and it was in fact delivered very overcooked. It was taken back and replaced but again the steak was not medium it was very well done. A small problem when our stay was such a good one. I travel the world with ICH group and this was one of the best hotels and staff we have encountered with facilities and service to match.

Room Tip: Our room 108 was excellent and on the side of the pool and Holidome which was great.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Once again I have to say the staff makes my job much easier because they do care. Sorry to hear about the steak being over cooked, we will work on getting that perfected. Yes it may be an older facility but we do have a lot to offer as you mention the pool. I thank you for the very nice review and we look forward to your next stay with us.