“Great stay at the Retlaw”
Review of Hotel Retlaw

Hotel Retlaw
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Fond du Lac
Rolling Meadows, Illinois
“Great stay at the Retlaw”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I have to admit that I went to the Retlaw Hotel in April for the paranormal experience in room 717. The people were great there. There restaurant was fabulous. The food was great! The lady seating me and the waiter were very nice and also great at discussing paranormal phenomena at the hotel. I even got permission to investigate the banquet room. I did get a bright orb in there. The hotel room was very clean and felt very comfortable there. There was only one unexplained occurrence in that room. I couldn't find my key card on checkout time. Nothing on the desk, but when I looked around and then back on the desk, there was the key card! I couldn't have missed it the first time, as it was a blue color against the wood of the desk. Strange, indeed.
Stephen M.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank izzatyu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We stayed here for the Taylor Park Pool Benefit. We got the discount price of $69.00. A real deal. The place was clean and the desk was helpful. The food is great. I have nothing but good to say about this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PalicanMan
Menomonie, WI
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Free WIFI and Parking. Easy access to downtown. Rooms are basic. I did ask for a refrigerator in my room as I was here several days. Room very clean and neat. Staff pleasant. Check in easy. Restaurant has reasonable prices and excellent steak! Nice simple breakfast as well. Would stay here again. Did not use the pool etc.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The hotel was a choice because it was only a block away from the venue where we were going to see some friends and their group perform. The hotel is located directly downtown and it is an okay area, but has some college aged kids hitting the bars in the area, so is a little noisy on the weekends. But much to walk to in the area. The room was nice, though it did not have a wide screen tv, we did not care because we were not there to watch tv anyway. We were only there overnight and soo did not get to go to the pool and whirlpool area, but it looked pretty nice when I looked in from outside. The restaurant had a good dining room, and fare. The coffee is the GREATEST! The staff throughout, including the restaurant and the second "pub" were all very friendly, helpful, and gave great service. We only had two problems which were minor and could happen most anywhere. The key cards did not work when we went back to the room in the evening, and even after they re- swiped them, they did not work. The front desk came up to try them even and she informed us that either the batteries were going dead or it was just malfunctioning and that they could only get someone out on Monday. We left Sun. morn so it was no big deal. The heater/ac unit started making an odd noise in the middle of the night when my lady went to adjust it. A bit annoying but we fell asleep anyway. The hotel is a older hotel, and they have taken care of it. There are a few interesting features to the building itself. The room was clean, well supplied, and the beds were very cozy. They use only quality supplies and linens it seems. The same for the restaurant. Classy but not at the cost you would think. We would stay there again, and maybe next time enjoy the indoor pool and whirlpool! Oh, and the parking garage right next door has ample parking and sort of connects right to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank blumaninwi
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Being right downtown we were close to several restaurants and bars. The hotel is pretty basic but clean and nice. Free parking in the ramp next door. Desk attendants friendly. Rooms are smallish but adequate.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I had a positive experience at the Ramada Plaza. I was there for four days and the days went by fast, partly because I was busy with the work I came to do in Fond du Lac and and the hotel staff going out of their way to make my stay there pleasant. Finding a decent place to eat was a bit of a challenge. The hotel cafeteria was undergoing renovation while I was there and so did not get to use it. But about 12 blocks south of the hotel, there is a resturant called Sebastian. I got my dinner there and thought the food was fine.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, please stay away from the 7th floor. Some of the people I stayed with at the hotel...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Uche E
Carla R, Front Office Manager at Hotel Retlaw, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Thank you for staying with us. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our staff. I apologize that our restaurant was going through renovations during your stay. I am glad you were able to find another option. I hope that we will see you again and that you have the opportunity to experience our restaurant's great food. Thank you for your review.

Carla Riutta
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I had a very unpleasant stay in this hotel. First of all I was very uneasy once I found out about the haunted rumours. I must say however that nothing unusual happened. The hotel definitely has a creepy feel to it. When we walked into the lobby we were overwhelmed with a foul smell that smelled like sewage to me. It was very strong and watching other people enter the hotel, I could tell by their facial expressions that it wasn't just me. We stayed on the 5th floor and when we walked into our very spacious room we were once again overwhelmed by the very strong unpleasant odour of smoke combined with a heavy musty smell. When I mentioned it to the girl at the front desk she said that the 5th floor used to be the smoking floor and she gave me a bottle of Febreze to use. I sprayed the curtains, furniture and carpet. While it masked the smell a little bit, it really didn't make too much difference. When spraying the curtains, I couldn't help but notice the thick layer of dust on them. The beds were comfortable and the bedding, towels and bathroom were clean. The mustiness and smoke caused my son's asthma to flair up even though he hadn't needed to use a puffer in over 2 years. This hotel needs to be completely renovated and then I could see it being a nice place to stay. I was never so relieved to check out of a hotel in my life. Definitely won't be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandra V
Carla R, Front Office Manager at Hotel Retlaw, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. Our goal is to make every guests stay the best it can be. I do wish that we could have accomodated you more during your stay, maybe even moved you into a different room that would have been better for your son. Also, we were having an issue that was causing an odor and I do apologize for this as well, but this issue has been addressed. We appreciate your comments, they help us keep improving. We hope that you try us again.

Carla Riutta