“Wonderful!!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful!!”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My brother had his wedding there recently. The resort is gorgeous. The restaurants are awesome, and the spa is amazing. I will definitely return for a longer stay.
The resort has tons of amenities, such as outdoor/indoor pool, a harbor, and even a Starbucks. It's also close enough to the town of Lake Geneva, WI to make it quick to get to, but not too close to all the crowds and traffic on 50.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Auntmarylnee,

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Resort and Avani Spa. I am delighted to hear that you had such an amazing stay and are looking forward to a future stay. We look forward to seeing you again.

Sara Schmitz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I just recently stayed with my wife on a romantic get-away and were hungry when we arrived. The front desk told us about the new 240 west restaurant that had just opened that weekend, so we decided to go there. It was remodeled very nice and looked appealing. The hostess( I believe her name started with an A) was extremely nice and very polite. Our server Julia was awesome as well. The food was delicious, but the older gentleman with glasses-(I believe he is the manager) kept staring at my wife and I and made us feel very uncomfortable and he did not seem to know what on earth he was doing. It seemed like it was his first day on the job. Unfortunately, for that reason we probably will not be dining there again. Other than that we had an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank rich s
Rich S,

Thank you for your review and your kind comments about the resort and your server, Julia. I do apologize for that your wife was made to fee uncomfortable during diner. In speaking with the restaurant team, I believe that they were being over attentive at the food delivery and presentation as we had just opened the new restaurant and they wanted to ensure everything was coming out the kitchen with the best presentation and that guest’s were enjoying the food. Again, we apologize if this over-attentiveness came across the wrong way. We do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you again. If you wish to discuss your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Matthews, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Abbey is a hop, skip, and almost a jump to Lake Geneva and it's a lovely resort, spread out with MANY amenities. We were there for Mothers Day weekend and it was a great time to go - the temps this winter and late snows made things a little behind normal, but still a lovely property.

Things that might help to know:
1. We got in early and they allowed us to check in - very friendly at the desk
2. The parking lot is a bit small, so if it's busy you might have to walk a little distance with your luggage depending on where your room is located.
3. You actually CAN walk the distance inside the buildings, but this weekend we did not need to,.
4. Short drive to the shops in L.G., but this is still a great location to get away.
5. Beds were comfy (Mattresses in good shape) and rooms were spacious.
6. Walls thick enough - quiet - very quiet in fact.
7.Patio area very nice - ask for a room facing he pools unless you can get one on the water - lovely!!!
8. The Mothers Day brunch was amazing!!! Even the (included) Mimosas!
9. Short distance to a SUPER yummy and nice restaurant called Pier 290 (AWESOME)!
10. Plan to explore the property - there is a lot to see - and enjoy
11. They have an indoor pool AND two outdoor pools and I guess during swim season they have lots of activities for the kids.
12. Very reasonable prices for the quality of the rooms

Our only issue was a broken toilet that someone came to fix, but it continued to be a problem the whole time - but, in their defense - we never called them again, but I did report it upon check out.

PLEASE let me know if this has been helpful! (thank you!)

Room Tip: Some rooms have private balconies, some are shared, but the shared ones are really not bad (I was su...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FlanFam
Dear FlanFlan,

Thank you for your five-star review of The Abbey Resort and Avani Spa. It sounds like you had the perfect Mother’s Day weekend and we appreciate you sharing tips for future guests. Thank you also for your kind comments about our amenities, staff and rooms. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again soon.
Fontana, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 May 2014

On the west side of Lake Geneva, the Abbey is in a perfect location. Right on the harbor, nearby golf, and restaurants. The newly done spa is just wonderful. The massage therapists are top notch, and the facilities are the best in the area.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with your room selection.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Bob B.,

Thank you for your five-star review of The Abbey Resort and Avani Spa. I am delighted to hear that you had such a fantastic time and appreciate you noticing our recent updates to the spa. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I met my college room-mate at the Abbey for a three day stay. When I told her I was going to book a spa treatment, she said she wasn't a 'spa'person. Well, after our massages the first night, she wanted to go to Avani the next two days, too. It was so relaxing and the staff was excellent. It rained the whole three days, which limited hiking a bit, but our guest room and Abbey were so comfortable that we were perfectly content. The beds were incredibly comfortable. Also, the cleaning staff found a pair of glasses under the bed after I checked out, and called me immediately to let me know.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AccordionGirl2014
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
AccordionGirl2014,

Thank you for your five-star review of The Abbey Resort. We appreciate your kind comments about the resort, spa and our staff. I am delighted to read that even with bad weather you still had a great weekend enjoy the resort and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My husband and I escaped to do some planning for our business. Our room was very nice - newly renovated bathroom, view of the harbor, pretty clean..... Our first night we ordered room service which was excellent. Food was good and arrived pretty quickly.
We had seen many ads for the Prime Rib Buffet within the resort. We made a reservation and arrived 15 minutes early. The hostess checked us in and said she would seat us momentarily. We happily waited and chatted with the couple who arrived before us. She came back and went to seat us and a man who had come to the hostess stand stopped her. He told her she had to wait ten more minutes to seat us. The restaurant was more than half empty and it was a buffet. He made her feel stupid and made us feel like we had done something wrong arriving a few minutes prior to our reservation time. Put an awkward spin on what could have been a really nice weekend. Were we to just stand there and stare at him for 10 minutes?! We decided we should probably leave.
We decided to try someplace else to eat. The concierge suggested Gordy's a short walk away. It was a nice family restaurant and the food was good, but we had really looked forward to a nice evening on site.
Unfortunately, if people with frontline communication with customers make a point of making clients at the resort feel stupid, and are okay treating them so strangely, I don't think that their restaurants are going to do very well long term. My husband actually felt like leaving early and heading home. I talked him into staying, although our mood and feeling about the weekend had been diminished.
In short, if you go to The Abbey, order from room service or go off site for meals!

Room Tip: Harbor view was very nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Newtmena
Newtmena,

Thank you for your review. I would like to extend my apologies for your experience in the restaurant. We strive to provide outstanding guest service throughout the property and by no means do we ever want a guest to feel awkward. Please know that our management team has reviewed your comments and we have addressed this matter with the restaurant team. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed many parts of your stay and I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again and exceed your expectations throughout your entire stay.

Greenfield,
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The king waterfront view room was all that was advertised.
My massage treatments at the spa were fit for a queen.
The new facilities and treatment rooms are outstanding.
Try the hot stone and silk treatments.
What an experience!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Mary H,

Thank you for your five-star review of The Abbey Resort. We delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Sara Schmitz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
#9 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Maxwell Mansion
Maxwell Mansion
#5 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!