“Beautiful resort with lots of special touches”

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Crystal Lake, Illinois, United States
“Beautiful resort with lots of special touches”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We received a gift certificate for a birthday and decided to take advantage of a lower Easter holiday rate to get the most bang for our buck. Wow! What a treat. There were lots of special events, mostly free, that kept us entertained and wishing we had let our family know we wouldn't be coming home for Easter Sunday. My parents honeymooned at this resort, many moons ago and my sister visits once a year so it was nice to be part of their "club."
First the great/good.....they are remodeling all rooms and ours was clean, comfortable and and the bathrooms so pretty. The indoor pool was a great retreat and the family game room in the adjoining solarium had lots of games out and ready to play. There were lots of activities such as cookie decorating, a scavenger contest, a craft and a photo booth. There was even a photo booth with Easter props pLUS the Easter Bunny. There was also a magician which the kids loved.
The only thing I wish was different was the game/arcade room. What a throwback to the 80's! Not only is it full of impossible games, it is very dusty/dirty.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
SummyMommyJen5

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Resort. I delighted to hear that your Easter stay was wonderful and that you wished you could stay longer. Our activities department does an outstanding job with our programming and I will share you comments with our director. Your stay sounds like the perfect family getaway. You may want to sign up for our weekly emails, as they are great way to stay informed of our upcoming programming and events. Lego weekend and Mad Science weekend are two of our annual events that are a huge hit with the kids. I also appreciate you sharing your comments about our arcade area. I have passed this along to our operations team so that may address your concerns. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sara Schmitz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 18 June 2014

What an awesome throw back to the 70's! This resort was the perfect weekend getaway. Spa, courtyard, bar, dining, room . . . . everything was perfect! Service was excellent! View was great! Entire experience was so relaxing! Thank you Abbey!

Room Tip: So much to offer. Rooms at the main resort have lower level marina view that walk out onto the pati...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Beth W,

Thank you for your five-star review of The Abbey Resort and Avani Spa. It sounds like you had the perfect getaway and I appreciation you kind comments about our staff. We look forward to your return stay.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had not been here in many years and have been pleased to find it updated to a soothing, clean, well maintained resort. Rooms are light, bright and spacious. My single king room had a sofa, desk, along with a microwave and fridge. Bathroom has a large shower. Grounds are well kept . Including the spa, there are four pools on property including one for adults only. The kids pool is full of equipment for their entertainment. Restaurants are pleasant. You can eat outside overlooking the harbor. Staff are exceedingly helpful. Altogether a lovely place for a getaway.

Room Tip: Building one is closest to restaurants and lobby but away from the noise of the pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Mac0620,

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Resort. We value our repeat guests, and I am very pleased to read that you found our recent renovations soothing and our property to be clean and well maintained. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I just returned home to Chicago after a very enjoyable two night stay at the Abbey Resort in Fontana, WI. We got a great deal with a Groupon, and are so glad we took advantage of it. We stayed in a two queen bed harbor view room on the second floor, and everything was great. We had a delicious meal at the Waterfront, and our server was really good and personable (and young, as were most of the staff at the hotel.) The young man at the bar outside of the restaurant was so helpful and we were then able to find our room, which was right off the lobby! It is worth paying extra to have the harbor and lawn view - very relaxing and fun to sit on the balcony and listen to the live music on Sunday. We are older (in our sixties) and liked being there during the week, and not really on the weekend. Everyone there seemed to enjoy their jobs, and that was good to see. I very much look forward to our next trip to the Abbey Resort, I really loved it!

Room Tip: I recommend the second floor harbor view rooms - a beamed ceiling and the balcony made for a great e...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Patcarey,

Thank you for your five-star review of The Abbey Resort and Avani Spa. I appreciate your kind comments about our resort and staff. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Chicago
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We've spent a few nights here over the past 2 years. It's very good value for the money and you're right on Lake Geneva, and about a 15 minute drive to downtown Lake Geneva. The restaurants on site are OK, but there are a couple bar/restaurants within walking distance that are pretty good. There are plenty of things to do for kids there as well.

Just don't expect a 5 star hotel here, it's clean and service was good, but it's not a real high end resort.

Also, beware if going there during the winter. The halls are not very well insulated, and it get cold and drafty when walking around.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear ITGuy79,

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Resort. We value our repeat guests and are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stays with us. We have recently opened a new restaurant, 240 West, and hope that you will have the opportunity to try it during your next visit.

Iowa
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband and I spent a long weekend at the Abbey for my birthday. The property was awesome! It was very clean, nicely decorated, and more than I expected. Our king room with pool view was beautiful. The grounds were nicely landscaped and other facilities, including restaurants, lobby, pools and especially the spa were all top notch. I've got to say that I have never been to such a nice spa facility. The spa services were impeccable. My massage and facial were great and my husband and I both enjoyed the steam room, sauna and indoor pool. The Friday night fish fry was delicious and prime rib on Saturday night was also very good.

We also hired a fishing guide one morning and went fishing on Lake Geneva. If I could find anything about the Abbey that could be improved, it would be that we needed a place to keep the fish we caught. We ended up keeping them in the in-room refrigerator, which worked fine. The lake area itself is not very accommodating for fishing, either. There are no fish cleaning stations anywhere on the entire lake! Although we don't have young children, there was a separate children's pool with activities for the kids. We saw a number of families at the resort, and it appeared to be very family friendly. It was also nice that there was an adult only pool. We also saw a couple of wedding parties at the resort and it appeared that it would be a great destination for a wedding or family reunion.

We will definitely return to the Abbey, but probably not for the fishing.

Room Tip: We stayed in a second floor pool view room and loved it. There did not appear to be any elevators...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 3catsmom
3catsmom,

Thank you for your five-star review of The Abbey Resort and Avani Spa. It is wonderful to read that you had such a fanatic stay. It truly sounds like the perfect summer vacation – time at the spa, pool, and boating/fishing on beautiful Lake Geneva. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

san diego, ca
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Just came back from The Abbey where I spent two nights in a double queen room #2260 which overlooks the adult/kids pools on 2nd story. I stayed with my two sisters for a spa getaway. First, checkin was a breeze but finding our room was another story. We checked in late and it was already dark outside. The rooms are not easily marked and we had a tough time finding our building in the dark. But once we did the room was very nice. Beds were super comfy, the 2nd story rooms have vaulted ceilings. The bathroom had double vanities and was large. The room had a small table with two chairs. The 'balcony' is really a shared walkway between all rooms on 2nd story. Next day we ordered room service and the food was delicious. I must say it was very, very good for room service. Next we went to Avani Spa, I got the pedicure, my sisters a facial and a massage. For the money they charge the services were not really worth it. My pedicure cost $60 and I could have done a better job. I had to tell the lady to fix my nail polish when she was done because she missed some spots. No massage on my calves, just a 'scrub' with a mango smelling lotion. Both my sisters enjoyed their treatments but also said not worth what they charge. The $25 charge to use their spa facilities gets you use of a jacuzzi, sauna, and steam room - totally not worth it. You can use the outside jacuzzi in the adult pool for free. The room we had faced the adult pool so it was very close to the spa and pool, the two places we spent most of our time. The adult pool had bartenders walking around if you wanted to order food or drinks. I loved the service but the drinsk are $7-9 for a cup filled with ice and some liquor. They give you towels at the pool. I loved that the kids pool is separate so this was really a tranquil place to hang out. It was not loud at night as the pool closes at 9pm? There were lots of games around the pool like badmington, checkers, bags, bubbles, etc. The resort is very spread out and you can get anywhere on the 'inside' through walkways. After a day or two you will get the hang of the place. Spend the extra money to be marina/harbor view rooms if you want the view and total peace and quiet. Otherwise the pool rooms were wonderful too. Plenty of parking all around. There is also a huge indoor pool, a huge arcade with lots of games, and along one of the walkways there are boardgames set up on 7-9 tables. There is also a Starbucks?cafe inside right next to the lobby and they had everything a regula Starbucks cafe has. Got our coffee there as well as muffins and oatmeal. I got a sandwich at the Waterfront restaurant and it was very, very good. The fries were delicious too. In the lobby there is a concierge and they will help you book any activities you want to do. We wanted to go kayaking but unfortunately they did not have a tour for the day we needed.

Room Tip: For families who get the pool view rooms ask for the downstairs because the patios are large with a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Lovemyboston,

Thank you for you five-star review of The Abbey Resort and Avani Spa. We appreciate your kind comments about the resort and staff. Please know that we increasing our outdoor building signage so that it is easier for guests to navigate in the evenings. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.
Sara Schmitz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
#9 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Inns Of Geneva National
Inns Of Geneva National
#10 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!