“Beautiful resort, 2.5 hour late check-in, Tony was rude”

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Beautiful resort with friendly and helpful staff aside from Tony at the front desk. She was completely rude and unsympathetic about our 2.5 wait to check-in and insisted it wasn't because of our groupon. The fact that we watched plenty of guests come in after us and get their rooms well before us, makes me wonder. One night was just too short considering we checked in so late and needed to be out so early the next day. Our stay was less than 15 hours so for one night would probably not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

KBJA,
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your kind comments about our property. We strive to provide exceptional guest service, and I apologize that you did not receive that during your check-in. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

we had a wonderful time at the Abbey it was our first time and really want to go back! the whole place was so pretty the grounds very well maintained the people working there very nice, the rooms very nice the beds a super high so if your short or have kids you may have a little trouble we definitely want to go back and try the spa too we took a tour and t looked great if pretty pricey.

Room Tip: ask for pool view and we really liked the first level
1  Thank Markuehl
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Markeuhl,

Thank you for your five star review of The Abbey Resort. I am delighted to hear that your first visit to The Abbey was so enjoyable and I appreciate your kind comments about our staff and property. We look forward to return stay.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I've stayed at the Abbey Resort & Spa and when I traveled there this year for a work engagement I even told my girlfriend that I'd have to ensure we went back so she could see how wonderful it was. Though it wasn't quite as magical as I remember, I wasn't unsatisfied with the service provided for the most part. Though the food has certainly dropped in quality at both the Waterfront and their 240 West establishments.

Where my troubles began was when I was called by my bank the day I checked out to confirm multiple charges on my account. The Abbey had double charged my holding fee. Not a huge deal, but I called to clear it up. The front desk attendant informed me that the overnight attendant had authorized my card (Well, it's good to know they can arbitrarily do that at will.) but she would reverse the charge and I should see the money back. I considered the matter settled and left it at that. Until I woke up this morning to discover a fresh charge of another $40. I called back, was told the front desk girl had never seen anything like this and got transferred to accounting.

All accounting could tell me was that I was incorrect in what I was seeing on my bank statement and that I wouldn't be charged again. When I informed them that I was a little leery of just taking the organization at their word I was informed that unfortunately they could only assure me I wouldn't be charged a 4th time incorrectly.

At this point the Abbey has charged me enough money to have stayed another weekend and offered nothing to make the situation right. Not only will I likely never stay here, but I am going to ensure my company doesn't return. Buyer beware, the businesses practices here have certainly taken a plunge.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Matt B

Matt B.,

Thank you for your review. I am a bit surprised that we received this review as our accounting manager stated that she spoke with you on the phone and we thought that everything had been resolved to your satisfaction. We apologize for the error our night audit team made and the inconvenience this caused you. If there are additional concerns, or this has not been resolved to your satisfaction, please reach out to immediately so that we may understand that issues. I am sorry that this put a negative impact on what appears to otherwise be a very enjoyable stay with us.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights for a getaway. We were looking forward to relaxing in our room and if at all possible, watching our favorite shows from Netflix. We called the week before and we're told that most likely it would work there to plug in our ROKU. It didn't because of the email verification that was required to use the WIFI. But, George the manager and the engineer tried VERY hard to help us get it connected. They went over and above the call of duty and we're very earnest in their efforts! George understood our disappointment in not getting it to work and offered us some complimentary services for our inconvenience. In retrospect it really might of been silly to realistically hope for it to work.
The room was very clean and comfortable! The service was GREAT and the environment was very nice! We also ate almost all of our meals there and the food was quite good. We will be staying there again In August! We highly recommend it!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Rita M,

Thank you for your five-star review. We appreciate your kind comments about our staff member George and the effort he and our engineer put forth to assist you. I also appreciate you kind comments about the cleanliness of the room and your dining experiences at the resort. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Beware! A block of rooms reserved for a wedding means that your guests will be scattered as far apart as possible. Overcharged for buffet breakfast. Secret charge for handing out gift bags at check- in. Diviner for reception was not prepared as promised. The list goes on. For a wedding, they totally rip you off. Stay somewhere else and spend your money on your honeymoon, or a down payment on a nice house.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the pool or water looked nice. All have balconies or patios. Ask for a room at eith...
1  Thank KayM1974
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

KayM1974,
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read that you were not satisfied with your stay. Our wedding planners work very closely with our brides and grooms and review every detail of the wedding contract which outlines the room arrangements, dinner selections and incidentals such as gift bags. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, please feel free to contact me at Schmitz@theabbeyresot.com.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Got a great deal on Groupon and just stayed for 2 nights with a family of 2 adults and three kids. Called ahead to ensure we got something on the ground floor with a view of the pool. After arriving the original room we booked (double queen) was much to small as there was not much room left over after the beds. I had to make 2 calls to get a room change, however, and after speaking with Alex I couldn't have been happier. Had someone immediately at my door to show me another room and I had new room keys in hand in minutes! Pools are decent, free passes at the front desk for the local beach, clean room and grounds, comfortable bed (although a little high for the kids), ample parking, Walmart 15 minutes away if you need to stock up. At the end of the day if you are going with a family and plan on staying in one room, its doable- just make sure to reserve either a King and couch or get a double queen with a "recliner"- you'll need the extra space. Shout out to Alex and Charlie.

Eli B

Thank you for taking the time for review The Abbey Resort and also for your five-star rating. We appreciate your kind comments about staff members Alex and Charlie. I have shared your comments with their manager. As you would like to return, I would encourage you to visit our website and sign up for our email offers or follow on Facebook. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

My partner and I had a group on for a one-night get away at the Abbey Resort. Right off the bat, customer service looked a bit distracted. The receptionist kept mentioning that we had a Group on reservation which sounded devaluating and inappropriate in front of my partner. Also, the resort slips you in surreptitiously a 12$ resort charge which there is no mention of when you book your stay there. Overall, the experience was peasant but ended on a unpalatable note as we were gathering our belongings to leave the room, the housekeeping ushered in and start flushing the toilet, collecting towels, starting to clean the room so we were literally forced to leave so that she can go after her duties even before our check out time!This was my last interaction with the Abbey stuff which wasn't up to the par in my opinion.

Room Tip: Ask where the room is located. They just hand you a room whiteout mentioning if it is on the first...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Vkadimir Y

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Resort. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your getaway and I appreciate you sharing the areas were we can improve. The $12 resort fee that you referenced was included in the Groupon website listing/offer page and is also posted on our website. This resort fee is charged to all guests and covers a variety items that we provide to our guests such as resort wi-fi access, USA Today newspaper, sports equipment rental, fitness center access, scheduled transportation to Lake Geneva and more. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again and exceed your expectations.

Guest relations manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
#7 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Inns Of Geneva National
Inns Of Geneva National
#6 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!