“Exactly what I wanted”

The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Reviewed 24 January 2011

We stayed over a Friday night last week for one night, and absolutely loved it. Everyone was very friendly and attentive to our needs. The room, beds, and bathroom were great- just perfect for us. I was a little worried because we had an end room right next to stairs which I thought would be noisy. Maybe because it was winter, or we lucked out, but no problems except for some rowdy kids who knocked once and ran. We did a bed and breakfast package, which was worth the $159 just to go to the spa. Loved it, and did not have any treatments, but just soaked up the atmosphere for adults. (Though we didn't use it, the kid's pool, activities, skating rink, and movie theater looked terrific). Our meal for breakfast was terrific, which you don't usually get in places like this.
Can't wait until warmer weather to return again, and hoping we can afford it then!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
JohnatTheAbbey, Manager at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2011

Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for sharing your comments about your recent visit to The Abbey Resort and Avani Spa. I am thrilled that your stay went so well and I will be sure to share your glowing review with our entire team of associates.

Our Bed and Breakfast package is extremely popular as it is a terific value. Our guests continually rave about the wonderful amenities that are present in the Avani Spa. Many people will spend all day by our pool just relaxing and escaping from all the stress in their everyday life.

We look forward to your next visit.

Sincerely yours,
John Morris
Avani Spa Director

998 - 1,004 of 1,127 reviews

Reviewed 12 January 2011

We were up there for an extended trip over New Years. The resort was great because it was cold out and we didn't step outside for 3 days. Going to the spa is worth the price of admission just hang out, the massage and wrap were excellent also. The meals were good in all the restaurants and the New Years party's were fun!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We stayed at the Abbey after another busy Christmas holiday season. The staff was gracious as always, the skating rink was enjoyed by our chidren and the pool was relaxing in the evening.

We have stayed at the Abbey several times throughout the past several years and always enjoy our stay. On this trip, the food at the Waterfront was particularly tasty! The entire family enjoyed all of our meals and did not mind eating at the same restaurant for each meal (there was a large group in the hotel at the same time and the Fontana Grill was not open to the public).

Thanks again for an enjoyable and relaxing stay at your resort. We look forward to our next visit.

Best Regards,
Michael Drelicharz

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2010

Went for a girls weekend with one of my friends and left with my belly full of great food and excellent wine. The staff at both restaurants were friendly, knowledgeable, and fun. The food was very, very, very good. I had the pulled pork sandwich one night and all I can say is YUM! There is a reason there BBQ wins awards-you need to try it for yourself. The hotel room was very nice. The hotel is slowly going through renovations and the rooms are cute. The beds super comfy and the bathroom had the double sinks-perfect for girls traveling together. I am planning a romantic getaway weekend early next year for my husband and me.

Only negative for me was wi-fi not available in room. However, it is available in public areas throughout resort.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2010

From the time we walked into the door until we ended our stay, the experience was outstanding. The holiday decorations in the lobby just addeded to the excitement of our get-a-way. The Avani Spa area is truly a treat for oneself! I will be making this a yearly tradition going into the holiday season. Thank you for giving me a piece of heaven on earth.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I've had several conferences at the Abbey now and each time found the room clean, well appointed, and very comfortable. Nice beds, furnishings, TVs, good wireless. The restaurants and bars are great, as are the lake and boat views, and I've had some nice times having a post-work drink around their outdoor fire pit.

The challenging thing about the Abbey, however, is that even after several trips, it is very near impossible to find your way around. The grounds are huge and the hotel comprises numerous buildings. The directional signs posted sporadically on the walls are not helpful, so when you are running about from meeting to meeting and back to your room, you'd better have some good walking shoes and patience, or maybe even a GPS.

On my latest trip this summer, I had a very upsetting experience with several members of the front desk staff. A post-stay call to the manager yielded a gift certificate, and the manager was polite and did his job well, but that experience soured my taste on the Abbey. It's a lovely place to be for a work event, but if you have one scheduled there, or are planning one, give your attendees maps and plenty of time.

I have not visited the Abbey for leisure purposes, but noted that we weren't the only (very large) group of business travelers meeting there each time. There might be a little too much hustle-and-bustle for a relaxing weekday trip away, although I'm sure the weekends are a different story.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2010

We loved our stay at the abbey resort. This season was over so it was rather quiet but everything was open and fully staffed. Enjoyed our room overlooking the marina and the 10-15 min drive to lake geneva is beautiful. Had a great spa day I highly recommend it with full sauna and steam room and private Adults only pool and jaccuzzi. Awesome! Thanks Abbey Resort!!

• Stayed: November 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
The Ridge Hotel
#7 of 15 in Lake Geneva
Inns Of Geneva National
Inns Of Geneva National
#6 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa? Share your experiences!