“Really wanted to like this place”
Review of Blackhawk Tavern and Grill - CLOSED

Blackhawk Tavern and Grill
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stopped here with my boss on a work trip to Madison. My hubby and I drive through Fort to go camping a few times a summer and I always wanted to stop. Glad we didn't waste our time. First of all we were not greeted, we stood around for awhile and just picked a table. The regulars sure liked to stare! Now I know why- because their bartender was also the only waitress working. So waiting on us would cut into their drinking time. Anyways, we finally got menus and she went to get us water- which took forever because she needed to get people their beer... The menu was pretty basic, appetizers, burgers. sandwiches, fish fry. We shared the spinach artichoke dip which I am pretty sure was not homemade but sure took forever to come out of the kitchen. I had the Prime Rib sandwich- thinking it was like a French Dip but I had to ask for the au jus. It came with cheddar instead of provolone or mozz like you would expect and I scraped it off- too salty of a cheese to put with the prime rib. The prime rib was so fatty! And I do love prime rib don't get me wrong! But I trim the fat off- which wasnt a choice for this sandwich- if I had there would be nothing left. The sweet potato fries I had tasted burnt. My boss said her baked cod was OK- nothing special- I saw her add quite a bit of salt to it. Which is funny because I could have used less salt on my food! It was so bad I drank my water in no time but then had to wait forever to get more water. We over tipped because none of the issues were our waitresses fault -clearly this place has no management- or they just care about those bellying up to the bar.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Blackhawk Tavern & Grill has history dating to 1915. Located in the historic downtown of Fort Atkinson, just 1 block from the Rock river, Blackhawk Tavern & Grill serves a delicious sandwich and ice cold beverages as locals and visitors rub elbows and exchange conversation at the U shaped bar. Our bartender, Aimee, was friendly and attentive - serving a tasty Bloody Mary and a pint of Guinness. Today I had the Turkey - Bacon Club with fries and she had the Hawaiian Panini with sweet potato fries, we each had a cup of scallop bisque on this cold and blustery winter day. The bisque was superb. The sandwiches were well prepared and delicious. The krinkle cut sweet potato fries were perfect - crisp on the outside, tender and tasty on the inside. Stop by the Blackhawk Tavern & Grill the next time you are passing through, I know you'll enjoy their food and being treated like a "local". Enjoy.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We were recommended to go here by our B+B host, as it was open late on the Sunday of our arrival. The service was quick and pleasant, and although it was quiet, the atmosphere was friendly. Both my husband and I had burgers which were excellent. If they have the stuffed burgers on special I highly recommend them. The sweet potato fries were good too, as they can easily turn to mush if overcooked. Good pub food.

1  Thank Amber2413
Reviewed 17 July 2013

One of the later places open in Ft Atkinson. Nice service good food . Great place to meet friends for a bite or after an event. we depended on this place while we were there.

1  Thank professorDee