“If you've been lucky enough to visit Ireland, a trip to the Monarch will bring you back.”

The Monarch Public House
Price range: US$8 - US$14
Cuisines: American, Irish, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the Mississippi River, at the foot of Eagle Bluff, the tallest point on the river. Wisconsin's oldest operating tavern and original to 1894, also features The Absolute Rock Bottom Pub and is home to the 1860's recipes of The Fountain City Brewing Co. 15 Foot pressed tin ceilings, hardwood floors and hand carved back bar, tables, etc. Soon to be listed on the National Historic Register.
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Am lucky enough to have spent some time on the Emerald Isle. Had some great meals there as well. A trip to the Monarch brings those memories back. Great pint of Guinness. True, traditional Irish food. Great atmosphere. Quaint location. Super people. My son and I made the 90 minute trip down for St. Patrick's day and couldn't have felt more at home. My son spent a semester in Limerick for college and his response to the Monarch was, "surprised to find something this authentic in the states". Highly recommend the Bangers and Mash. Can't wait for the next time I'll be in the area.

• Visited March 2014
LookinAllOver, General Manager at The Monarch Public House, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Always a pleasure to make new friends and we very much appreciate you taking the time to write such a nice compliment. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Long roads and happy memories to you!

Rochester, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“disappointed”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

while enjoying the atmosphere at the bar and the bar staff especially Karen, I was disappointed to overhear a verbal fight and confrontation that was occurring at the bar, as the night progressed I found out it was a band member and a employee. this continued all night. what a disappointment to an otherwise delightful night. if I was the owner I would let this employee go, if my husband and I overheard it, so would have others. the Irish Dinner as to die for

• Visited March 2014
LookinAllOver, General Manager at The Monarch Public House, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback. As a matter of fact, I became aware of that problem and did my best to speak with the band member about it. Like normal for young people, it involved a girlfriend. We had to convince him to follow through on his contract to perform with the band. Which he did and that was the end of it once the performance started. I apologize that this temporary "drama" disrupted your enjoyment of the evening overall, but also glad you enjoyed your meal, server and the place itself. Some things, like young love, are just out of our control.
Unfortunately, it ultimately meant the breakup of a good band too.
Rochester, Minnesota
“Destination worthy!”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

When you walk into this quaint pub you’ll be welcomed like an old friend! The wait staff are plain and simply “just good people”. The owner is entertaining, witty and has a million stories – some perhaps even have a thread of truth…;-)

They pour an excellent Guiness, Our meals have always been great and plentiful and the restoration of the building is a story on its own. Highly recommended for those who possess a bit of humor and appreciation for common “salt of the earth” type human beings. We are looking forward to our return trip on St. Patties day - Sláinte chugat!

• Visited January 2014
LookinAllOver, General Manager at The Monarch Public House, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
VERY much appreciate your review and we will look forward to seeing you on St. Padraig's Day. Glad you find us as a relaxing and "common man" kind of place that makes you feel welcome. We enjoy your company too!
St Paul Minnesota Usa
“Super good pizza and best sweet potatoes fries ever!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Love, love, love this bar! Love the history that it is the oldest bar in Wisconsin. It is fun just to soak in the ambiance of this old place! The staff has always been friendly, and the pizza was wonderfu, not greasy. The sweet potato fries are baked in an "air oven" is what we were told, so no oil on them, and they were the most tasty sweet potato fries we had ever had! Delicious. I am not a beer drinker, so cannot speak to this, but my husband and friends certainly seemed to enjoy theirs. The wine is ok, nothing to write home about but I didn't expect a good glass of wine at a little bar, so I did not have high expectations, that is not their focus. We would go back in a heart beat, and in fact, I have gone there several times with my husband and friends and girls on a girls weekend. Wonderful find!

• Visited March 2014
Thank you for your kind words and review. Glad you enjoyed your visit and we will look forward to seeing you again one day.
Lincoln, NE
“small town Irish bar but...”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

the owner greeted us with a strong Irish accent but by the end of the nite the accent had faded. The atmosphere was very good and the food was good so enjoy it for a "we bit of irish"....I would go back.

Visited February 2014
LookinAllOver, General Manager at The Monarch Public House, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Folks,
Thank you for dropping by and glad you enjoyed your meal and time with us. As to my accent fading...yes it does as my wife prefers. Use it to welcome folks initially and make them feel welcome. Glad to see you enjoyed the Hawksview room and had a chance to visit some of the other places in Fountain City. Stop again when next you are traveling and enjoy the day!