“Nice Environment/Scary Clientele”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Glendale
Chicago, United States
“Nice Environment/Scary Clientele”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

In a nutshell, this hotel has a nice, newly renovated environment with spacious rooms. Most of the reserved clientele look and act like gang members, however. A loud party with super loud funk music and multiple visitors slamming doors all night next door made for a sleepless night and somewhat frightful stay. Hotel staff don't enforce their own rules. This hotel needs bouncers or police touring the hallways. I do not recommend this La Quinta at 5423 North Port Washington Rd, Glendale, WI 53217.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Carol A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 March 2014

It was a great stay for me and my husband we enjoyed our selves and it was very convenient that it was right down the street from bay shore mall and the king suites are very cozy for couples . I would suggest la Quinta inn and suites to a lot of people because I really enjoyed my stay and I think they will too and it's just great if your trying to get away by your self or with you kids and family

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Green Bay, WI
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I first want to say that my wife and I are La Quinta Returns members. So, when we travel we choose to stay at La Quinta's when we can. We also know that most La Quinta's are not 5 star hotels but, there are certain things that you do expect when staying at a above average hotel.

We recently stayed at this La Quinta Inn & Suites on Feb. 21st & 22nd, 2014. We upgraded from a standard room and got a suite for those 2 nights. We have stayed at this property before in a suite and did not have any issues. So, we expected the same great room on our this recent stay. We were very wrong in thinking that would be the case.

After arriving and checking in, we headed to our room (Room 310). Upon entering our room, we were overwhelmed with the smell of cigarette smoke and musty carpets. The suite is divided into 3 rooms. A living room area, a bathroom and the bedroom. The cigarette/musty smell was mainly in the living room area. And upon further inspection, we found cigarette ashes in that room. We thought that all rooms were suppose to be non-smoking? There was even a sign on the desk next to the cigarette ashes the said "This is a Non Smoking Room". Then upon entering the bedroom we found food particles on the floor and there were also stains on our bed comforter. The heating/ac unit also made a very loud vibrating noise when turning on and while running. This caused us both to hardly get any sleep for the 2 nights we were there. Then moving into the bathroom, the light above the shower did not work and there was no fan in the bathroom. Instead they had a circulation vent in the wall. This brought air in from the outside. Which would be fine most times but, it was in the single digits outside. This made the bathroom extremely cold and you felt like you were walking into a freezer. The vent also pointed directly at the shower. So, when you used the shower, you had the stream of cold air coming right at you. This made no sense and we had to take quick showers because of the cold air blowing directly on you.

We did complain about the issues we had when we checked out but, they did not seem very concerned. They said that they had our e-mail and they might send us a voucher for a free night. But, I highly doubt that this will happen. This was probably the last time we will stay at a La Quinta. It just was not a nice experience overall and a waste of extra money for upgrading to a suite.

1 Thank Nthamix92
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed here for three nights between Christmas and New Year's. We had a two room suite with two double beds and a sofa sleeper. The suite was perfect for a family of four with a 17 year old and three adults. The hotel was clean and has one of the largest indoor pools I have ever seen at a non resort hotel. It was great to swim while there was snow on the ground and single digit temperatures outside. I was informed of the wristband policy upon check in but we didn't use the pool at night and there were only a few people in the pool area during each of the evenings we were there. The breakfast area was nice and there was plenty to eat. My only complaint regarding that was each morning there was at least one visibly ill guest in the area serving themselves. That certainly is not the fault of the hotel. People, if you are coughing and sneezing do NOT serve yourselves food and do NOT sit in the communal food area! I realize this is a hazard of winter travel but please have common courtesy and common sense. The hotel is close to a number of restaurants and shopping - you can't go wrong with Bay Shore Town Center and Kopp's - both are worth a visit! We really liked this hotel and will probably return. The only thing I would change is exchange the double beds in the suites for queen beds. Maybe some day...

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Brillion, United States
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The hotel was very clean, breakfast was great, and the staff was friendly and very eager to ensure our stay was nothing but the best. The only issue we had was the parking lot, it is a bit small and we had issues finding available parking.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed there this past Friday-Monday and yikes!!! We checked in about 930pm on Friday night and were "welcomed" by the rudest front desk person we have ever encountered at a La Quinta. We stay almost exclusively at LQ's because of the discount we get through our employer. My husband dropped me off at the front door so I could register us while he parked the car and grabbed our luggage. I had to wait because there were some people in front of me apparently trying to register as well. I was finally acknowledged and was told that they couldn't honor the discounted rate unless we had proof that we worked for the company that we got the discount through. When we asked why, since we had never been asked to show proof before, she said it was because too many people are lying about working for the sponsoring company. So we have now been accused of lying about where we work and have to produce a check stub from employer, which we were able to do, and she still didn't believe us!!! NEXT we had to sign a waiver stating that we understand that if there is one complaint about us the City of Glendale police will be called to evict us from the hotel. Again a first for us. Relaxing weekend off to a great start...not!

So by now it is roughly 11pm. We get to our room and we can hear yelling coming from the pool area. We look and it is full of young kids. There is also kids running and yelling in the halls by our room. The toilet paper dispenser is sitting on the vanity. Maintenance must not have gotten around to fixing it. More about that later. We finally get to sleep. In the morning I go to take the hand towel off the rack and it falls on the floor!! Again more running and yelling in the halls. We went to front desk on our way out to let them know of the repairs that need to be done and are told they will get done. When we return to the hotel that evening about 11pm we notice that there are not 1, not 2, not 3, BUT 4 City of Glendale police cars in the front of the hotel. We proceeded to go to our room to fall asleep to the sounds of running and yelling in the halls.

The next morning we go downstairs for the breakfast and there are all the kids eating and making a mess in the breakfast area. Not sure where the parents were but no one was keeping the kids in line. They were disrespectful to the lady trying to keep it filled and neat for the rest of the hotel guests. They left food on the table, dropped food on the floor and lacked manners in general. When we were done we were going to stop at the front desk to talk to the manager but she was already hearing a complaint from another guest. So we went back to our room to change and head out for the day. When we got off the elevator and looked down the hall I felt like I was at college again!! There were pizza boxes tossed in the hallway and food all over the hallway some of it smashed into the floor!! The kids that aren't in the pool are running up the halls and banging on doors.

We went downstairs and talked to the General Manager, Angela, about what an unpleasant stay this has been. We told her about the food in the hallway, about the running and yelling in the hallway. We said we felt like we were at a zoo. She told us that unfortunately what happens, usually from January to April, the "locals" will rent the rooms for the weekend when they get their income tax refunds. She said that sometimes those people aren't the most well behaved and the police need to be called to remove them from the property. She did say that they were looking into adding more "security" and maybe closing the pool earlier on the weekends. Somehow this doesn't make me feel better. Now we know why maintenance didn't get to fixing the broken toilet paper holder and towel bar in our room. They were too busy cleaning up after the animals. She apologized for the poor stay we had, albeit not a very sincere one. We didn't feel like valued guests.

When we got back to the hotel our last night there, the zoo had cleared out, except for a few. Guess not all "local" kids have school on Monday? Don't tell our daughter that, we made her go to school on Mondays.

So...I can't say when or if we will stay at this particular LQ again but it for sure won't be during tax refund season.

2 Thank tam2gab
LQGS, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Milwaukee Bayshore Area, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thanks for your feedback about our La Quinta Inn & Suites Milwaukee Bayshore. WOW - this is definitely not the typical La Quinta experience, and one we are very concerned about! We'll definitely be speaking further with our Front Desk and Maintenance teams about the security and room issues you've mentioned in your review. It's a frustrating experience to have this type of situation happen, and then to not have much of a resolution. We're sorry for these issues occurring during your stay, and we appreciate you taking your time to write of your time with us.
milwaukee, United States
Reviewed 19 February 2014

i enjoyed this place its not bad if children can stay away frow the adult pool! thie kidss hade fun so did i it was like a last minute thing for the kids on valentines day i really didnt get to enjoy my time but one day i will all alone me and my self

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glendale
La Quinta Inn Milwaukee Glendale Hampton Ave
Holiday Inn Milwaukee Riverfront
Manchester East
Manchester East
#4 of 6 in Glendale
Four Points by Sheraton Milwaukee North Shore
Comfort Suites Milwaukee - Park Place
Courtyard Milwaukee North/Brown Deer

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Milwaukee Bayshore Area? Share your experiences!