“Wanted to give them an "excellent" but couldn't”
Review of Plae Bistro

Plae Bistro
Ranked #2 of 487 Restaurants in Green Bay
Price range: US$10 - US$34
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I reserve an "excellent" rating only for those restaurant experiences that are at the top of all categories - ambiance, food quality/creativity, service, and value, and Plae Bistro is one of the best in Green Bay, but not quite an "E". I made reservations five days in advance and informed the owner that my wife and I would be celebrating our 34th wedding anniversary there. I also asked if I could bring a special bottle of wine (yes) and would there be a corkage fee (yes, a modest $15). We arrived and were taken to our table on the not-so-quaint nor quiet bar side of the restaurant. Not what I had in mind but acceptable. Our server, Megan, greeted us promptly and was excellent throughout the night. They have a good wine selection and even flights of wine which are a nice touch, so we ordered some. I asked if they had a decanter for the wine we brought and was told no, it broke (?) Most of their red wines are young so I'm not sure what they would do if someone ordered the 1999 Chte. Simard (or other older reds) on the menu without a decanter. Anyway, we asked Megan to pre-pour two glasses of the wine we brought to let it open and she obliged. In no time the room became uncomfortably loud and the small bar area turned into a boisterous waiting room. We ordered Burrata as an appetizer (recommended as a dish a chef from Napa created) and it was strange - more like a huge, tasteless marshmallow puff than a gourmet cheese. The beet & pistachio chutney that came with it was excellent though. I mention all this only because it was the only thing on the menu we didn't care for. The pasta, the gnocchi and the duck confit were outstanding and creatively prepared. We did ask the owner over to our table to introduce ourselves and ask her to share our wine if interested since we knew she was a fan of Napa cabs. She joined us, thanked us and hurried off. It just struck me as odd since there wasn't even a mention of our special day. Restaurants on top of their game would have acknowledged the event. Would I go back? absolutely, but probably during the week.

1  Thank mywinetutor

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We came to GB for a concert with a goal of avoiding Packer oriented situations and Plae Bistro fit the bill. We had a wonderful meal. I loved how many options there are; I'm used to a place like this having about a page of options. It was good for vegetarians and people on different budgets. Our server was fantastic as well. We would definitely be regulars if we lived here. We had reservations which was a good idea.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I gave this restaurant 4 out of 5 stars because the ambiance and/or seating arrangement leaves a little to be desired. I do not care for restaurants that have long benches with a few tables in front of them and then chairs across from the benches at the tables. I don't know why that arrangement bothers me, but it does. If someone next to you spills, they spill on you too. We had to move because the woman next to us was so very loud and it was like she was in our lap. This is not a HUGE issue, but for a place as nice as this, I think more intimate seating style would be more appropriate. Again, the food was very well prepared, the service wanted for nothing, the prices were high-ish, but I felt that we got high quality food, so that was not a problem. We will go back again with friends. That way the loud people won't disturb us because they will BE us, lol.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I took a group of 7 there (made reservations because even on a Tuesday this place was hopping). Our server was great, the place has cool vibe to it, and the food is absolutely top notch. This is not a top rated place for nothing - it is simply one of the best restaurants in Green Bay.

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We selected Plae Bistro because of it being ranked #1 on Trip Advisor for Green Bay Restaurants. After our visit, we agree with this ranking! We called day of & were able to make reservations for that night. Service was great by all we encountered there. The menu offered great selections of small plates, soups, salads & entrees. Prior to our meal, they served bread with dipping oil, olive tapenade & a bruschetta butter-all were delicious. They also had a great drink menu. My husband & I both chose pasta dishes & were very happy with our meals. They have nice gluten free options including the bread & pasta. We were totally satisfied with our experience & plan on returning for another great meal!