“One good, one not quite”

The Black &Tan Grille
Ranked #60 of 465 Restaurants in Green Bay
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
De Pere, Wisconsin
“One good, one not quite”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Nice place. Bar area has nice views, wait staff was good. Great martini choices, though we had the Black and Tan. Dining room is upstairs, and also provided a nice view of downtown. Wait staff was good, also. Lots of great choices on the Spring Menu. My wife ordered the Grilled Rib Eye, I ordered the Manhattan and Scallops. Her rib eye was very, very good. My dish was supposed to be a NY strip and scallops. Scallops were excellent - perfectly done. My steak was cut into small "quarters", I think to make it look like there was some amount of meat included - it was a small portion. The steak was also rather tasteless. I tried a taste of my wife's rib eye - and there was no comparison. Other than that, it was a nice dining experience. We will go back, but I will not order any kind of "surf and turf" as it seems they held back the portions (the 3 scallops and very small steak was more expensive than my wife's rib eye). It was our anniversary, so our desert was no charge - and the pecan pie was very, very good.

• Visited May 2013

Naples, Maine
“Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Great food, great service! despite being a meat restaurant, the salmon was superb - well matched with wine. Bread was fresh and a treat with several home made options. side dishes offered were varied with zesty options! My waiter was the most professional and helpful - He made the visit extra enjoyable with recommendations and appropriate attention!

Visited March 2013
2 Thank localfoodie_12
“Do not miss the chance to dine here!”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Fantastic. Upscale, refined and did I say, fantastic. Manhattan strip is perfection. Prawns perfectly done. Bread course, great.

1 Thank TRP21
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Always a pleasent experience”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

My husband and I have been going to Black & Tan for quite awhile now. Every time we go it is a very nice time. The food is innovative and fresh, the service is good and the atmosphere is relaxing. We have also found that eating at the bar downstairs is a lot of fun and you can taste and share smaller plates. I recommend checking out this established restaurant in a historic building in downtown Green Bay.

• Visited February 2013
Morris Plains, New Jersey
“Good Restaurant that is not too noisy if you want conversation”
Reviewed 12 January 2013

The restaurant was sold about a year or so ago but retained its name. Previously it was part of a mini-chain of other establishments in the area, owned and managed by the same person (e.g., Legends, The Swan Club, Caliente). The Black and Tan itself was previously in De Pere, WI but moved to downtown Green Bay, its present location, about four years ago.

During the week the restaurant is usually not very full, but that's probably because downtown Green Bay is not very active most evenings (unless the Packers are playing). It is across the street from the Meyer Theater and close to City Hall. It is in a historic building (The Bellin Building).

On the first floor is a very nice bar that's part of the Black and Tan and the restaurant itself is upstairs. The flagship meal is the Black and Tan, a tenderloin steak over toast and a mellow sauerkraut type of bedding. Very good.

• Visited November 2012