“Not a place to stop...”

Mackinaw's Grill & Spirits
Ranked #7 of 480 Restaurants in Green Bay
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had a family gathering so stayed nearby and Mackinaw's was recommended so we went to dinner. It was restaurant week and they were out of all the specials. They had an extensive menu which scares me because a restaurant just cannot make all that many things and keep it healthy food (fresh food). We ordered corned beef sandwiches. Huge mistake. The pieces of corned beef were really slabs that tasted like rubber. The coleslaw also had that cisco food taste. The atmosphere was also not appealing as you felt like you were in a glorified bog boy with stuffed live animals hanging all over. Not a good experience.

kevin q, Owner at Mackinaw's Grill & Spirits, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

So sorry to hear your experience was less than desirable. You are correct, our menu is rather extensive but it is our best effort to try and have something for everyone. I am very shocked to hear that we were out of restaurant week specials as it was never brought to my attention but again, my apologies. If we ever run out of something it is because we only order in certain quantities to maintain freshness. We also do our best to keep healthy, fresh items on the menu by using local businesses like Zimonick's Produce and Navarino Valley Elk & Bison Meat. We make many of our sauces and sides, like our cole slaw but sorry it was not to your liking. Our atmosphere may not be for everyone but we take pride in featuring many animal mounts that were donated by local hunters. We always feel at home in the woods and wanted to convey that feeling to our customers. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please message me. Would love a chance to correct the situation. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

They had a special going, a "menu du jour" which was great. Entree, plat, et désert for $20. Coming from France, we were impressed! Plat was choice of steak, salmon and something else, yeah! Steak was delicious!
Desert was yummy. There was enough food to take home some for lunch next day, typical in US.
Service perfect. Brandy old-fashioned sublime. And I love that there are a variety of places to sit:nooks and crannies. Sports bar loud and peopled or booth for a little intimacy and conversation. Nice layout of place. Thank you!

Ooooh international travelers, we feel very special! You must have visited us during "Restaurant Week" when we had our $10 lunch options and $20 dinner choices. Yes, our portion sizes tend to be a little on the heavy side but that way people don't have to cook the next day haha! Very happy to hear you enjoyed your steak, dessert and classic midwest drink, Brandy Old Fashioned. Hope you enjoyed your visit with us and really appreciate you taking time to write us a review!

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I met her brother, wife, and 6 of her family for a Friday night dinner. Despite being very busy they had no problem accommodating a large group. We were seated in their first floor back banquet room with some other large groups. Here lies the only rub, to keep with the atmosphere the banquet room has a high vaulted tung & groove wood ceiling. Due to this it tended to get quite loud. Not much you can do about, so this more of an observation then complaint.

That said, the sever, bartender, and food more than made up for it. Despite handling the entire room by herself our sever was sincerely friendly and efficient. The bartender made a special trip to restock the beer I was drinking, and together they handled the entire room quite well.

Everyone found the food to be excellent, from Perch to a Porterhouse Steak. My wife found her side dishes lukewarm and asked they be reheated. Instead, she was brought a complete new meal. This is what stood out most to me me, the service and friendliness of the staff. We're all human and things happen, but it's how you handle those things that make difference. In this case you couldn't ask for more. I definitely recommend Mackinaw's.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review! We try to be as accommodating to large groups as we can and thank you for understanding that although vaulted ceilings look great, they can create a little excess noise. Also really appreciate you noticing the hard work your server was putting in. It's all about doing the little extras and giving 110% that keeps people coming back. And of course, thank you for complimenting the entrees. The Perch and Porterhouse are both very big sellers and glad your table enjoyed them! Sorry about the temperature on your wife's side dishes but very happy to hear the staff addressed and corrected the problem appropriately! Next time you are in please ask to speak with Kevin, would love to introduce myself! Cheers!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Had a nice evening meal here. I went for a buffalo burger with bacon, cheese and pulled pork. It was awesome! I made a school boy error with the thick cut chips - you'd have to be British to understand! Great special on margaritas and a good selection of draft beers (as in "on tap"). Recommended.

kevin q, Owner at Mackinaw's Grill & Spirits, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Oooh, sounds like you had our Lumber jack. That is definitely one of my personal favorites! Sorry about the "chips" misunderstanding but hopefully they were still to your liking. We try to keep some local, microbrews on tap as well as crowd favorites. Glad you enjoyed the draft beers. Next time you're in, ask for Kevin, would love to hear about your experience in person! Cheers!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

we have never had a bad meal here until today. buffalo burger- bottom bun so soggy i could not pick it up.my wifes burger was served with a yellow, rock hard tomato. why put that on a plate. the prices have gone up and quality down. everybody has a bad day so they will get one more chance, hope next time is better because we really like the place

kevin q, Owner at Mackinaw's Grill & Spirits, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you for giving us the benefit of the doubt. We definitely strive for 100% customer satisfaction but as you said, everyone can have a bad day. I apologize for the less than satisfactory meal and would like to discuss this matter with you more personally. Happy holiday!