“Great food, great atmosphere, SLOW service!”
Review of The Wellington - CLOSED

The Wellington
Price range: US$16 - US$53
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Great food, great atmosphere, SLOW service!”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We were at party of 8 with reservations on a very busy night. We were seated immediately, but our entire sitting time was 3 hours. Our orders were taken right away and we got our salads in a timely fashion. Over 30 minutes, closer to 40 minutes later, we received our entree. My meal was not what I ordered, but I ate it anyway, as I didn't want to have to wait another 40 minutes for my food. It took at least 20 minutes to get our dessert after we ordered it. Now, let me tell you how great the good was! It was AWESOME! Very delicious. The steaks were very tender. Everyone enjoyed the food. I would recommend the Wellington if you have a lot of time on your hands, because the good is very good. But if you don't want to be there for 3 hours or more, I would not recommend it.

• Visited November 2013

Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Well Worth the Bridge Detour!”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We have had terrific experiences at the Wellington in the past, but had not been there for more than a year and were concerned about the bridge detour. A Deal Chicken Appetizer and Wine coupon offer brought us back last evening (Yes -- a coupon offer! We treat ourselves to a very nice "dinner out" a few times a month and absolutely shop for deals and reasonable prices). The Wellington was even better than we remembered. We called for directions, and Mary was so helpful. It really was easy to get there and only slightly out-of-the way with the detour. After last evening, we agreed we would have driven MUCH further. The coupon was a great value, and we also ordered a sautéed scallops dinner to share. We requested a slight variation in the sauce, and the chef accommodated it perfectly. Everything about our experience was "5 stars plus"-- the food, it's presentation, timing of courses, the hostess and waitress, Jack the bartender, and the always elegant and romantic setting. We could not find a single thing that could have been improved upon, and it was a tremendous value (with or without the coupon). We promised ourselves we will make this our "go to" choice in the future.

• Visited November 2013
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
“SICK of super club, super club!”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The food is the same as all the other super clubs in Green Bay! When are the Green Bay people (yes i am one of them, but so sick of the 80's super club thing) going to have enough of the same thing, different location!?!
Oh well, anyway. The food is subpar and the steak was well done, not medium, so over cooked by a mile. The waitress made me feel like I was asking for her arm to get another steak. So, I am hoping I didn't get her introuble for the "chef's" mistake.
Just moving on.......fun to try somewhere new, but only ONE time for this place.

• Visited October 2013
Cole D, Manager at The Wellington, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Hello, my name is cole ductan, i have been the new chef at the wellington for the past 3 months(as you can see by reviews). I fully agree on your "supper club" comment about this area and i have been hard at work putting the passion back into the wellington, i hope you will decide to give the "new" wellington a try and see if that changes your review opinon! i look forward to seeing you in soon!
p.s. if you look on our facebook page, www.facebook.com/thewellington1060 , you can get see some of the menu progression.

thanks!

Cole Ductan
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Quality Food & Professional Service”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The fellow who wrote the review about the peculiar onion sandwich, obviously isn't from Wisconsin - home of the "fish fry" - sorry dude, no matter where you go in Green Bay for perch, you're gonna get a slice of rye, buttered with onion - it's just the way it is. But next time, you could try asking your server about it before writing a review about it.

The quality of the food and the presentation is one thing that makes the Wellington a step ahead of many. If you're looking for a steak grilled to perfection, juicy and well seasoned - you'll be glad you went. The seared scallops, lobster tail and crab legs are also great choices.

Homemade salad dressings and butter cream cakes are an added bonus.

The service is great most of the time. Everyone has their busy "off" nights and new servers have to start somewhere, of course. But, no reason to offer a 1 out of 5 for a restaurant like this.

I'd say, if you really want to be sure about the Wellington, give it a whirl! Everyone's experience is different. Just don't let negative reviews, or people with mood issues turn you away from the possibility of enjoying a darn good meal.

• Visited October 2013
Calumet, Michigan
“Great place!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

A nice atmosphere to have a higher end dinner. It was a slower time of day for our visit so the staff spent some extra attention to details. Good food, the nicest place in Green Bay. Prices are placing it at the higher end market, but good value in that space.

• Visited September 2013