“BE WARNED”

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Hayward
Hurley, Wisconsin
“BE WARNED”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

***Worst experience I have EVER had! Please do NOT use this motel, I honestly think the owner is crazy and fear that one day a guest is going to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when this guy snaps! ***
The original conversation with his wife was great. They were the only motel in the whole town with a room available because of a major event (I wonder why). We told her that we would have 2 to 4 people. She said no problem if it ends up more than 2 they would just charge us 10 dollars extra per person. We asked that they not charge our card on file because we were going to pay in cash. Before we even arrived, we began receiving phone calls from the owner saying that if we weren't there by 6pm he was charging our card. We explained that we would be later and please don't charge the card, but promised we would be arriving later and paying with cash. He told us too bad be there by 6 or we charge the card. I withdrew cash from my debit that he had on file because I didn't know what he was capable of charging at that point. At 5 minutes after 6, he began calling and leaving messages telling us that we had a problem, our card is not going through and we needed to get this straightened out. Finally, we arrived at the hotel after 7 and he was livid, screaming at me about a valid credit card and yelling that he sees 5 people in our vehicle (there were 4) and this is a motel for couples only. I explained that the lady I spoke with told us we could pay for additional guests and he screamed "that LADY is my wife!" and you're not getting any extra towels! I then told him I didn't want to stay at the hotel as his aggression was way out of line and he turned it around and informed me that we were not allowed to stay there any longer. As we were walking out the door he continued yelling obscenities. I seriously thought I was on an episode of PUNKED! Scary, irrational man.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
18 Thank ionnv
Edelweiss M, Owner at Edelweiss Motel, responded to this review, 30 March 2015
I am sorry but this is not exactly what happened. Upon booking you stated 2 people and we never discussed additional people for this room as it was just you and your friend. You were also informed that our system is set up to charge a credit card if not check in by 6 pm. You stated you would be running later than that so I clearly stated it will charge your card but I can reverse it if you choose to pay cash when you arrive. 6pm came and the card automaticly came up declined. I at that point I (female) called you and asked for a valid card... or I can't hold your reservation. All credit cards are run for validation. We requested an additional VALID card and only then didn't have one. We let that slide until after 7 when you arrived and unloaded 5 people. When I approched you about the 5 people and asked you to pay for the addtional people you got very upset and say why does it matter I only brought enough for what you quoted me...at that point I (FEMALE NOT MALE) again asked for a valid card to compensate for the addtiional people. Since you didn't have a valid card or the extra cash and had 5 people instead of 2 I thought it was best for you to find another place to stay. What you stated in your review was misleading and invalid. People need to know that it seems that people only leave feedback when they KNOW they did something wrong and try to blame it on the motel. You never even talked to my husband as he barely EVER deals with any part of running this place.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We thought check out time was 11:00 and at 9:59 a knock on the door (day before they went into our room while we were out to shut off the air conditioning, it was 90 degrees outside). I had already left and my son was sleeping. He told them he'd be out soon and that he had to get ready. There was 3 more knocks with last one being the owner. The owner is a mad man. He called my son the [--] word several times and went to grab his arm to throw him out and was calling the police while holding his very young child. My son was in his truck by 10:12 a.m. When I heard about the way he treated my son I went back to motel to request my final bill from the front desk guy and owners wife. At that time the ownder came out and wanted to know what was going on. I told him it was not necessary to treat my son like that. I wanted my final bill to be sure they weren't charging me for late checkout. He then proceeded to yell at me and told me to get out of his place and went to phone several times calling the police. He should not be allowed to run any business let alone a place that people stay overnight. Would not trust him for anything. Stay away from that place. His poor front desk man, wife and kids:(.

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
14 Thank DeaconWisconsin
Edelweiss M, Owner at Edelweiss Motel, responded to this review, 30 March 2015
You are talking about the previous owners!!! This is not the new owners. Sorry for the confusion or misleading information.

Travellers are raving about these Hayward hotels

Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed 2 August 2010

on the phone, these people are really nice. This all changes once you actually get there. They have a strict non smoking policy, which is absolutely fine. I traveled with my mother who is smoker. We were having a big family reunion in Hayward and our family rented out this entire place. My mom and I got there first on Thursday. Thursday evening, my mom walked down the street past their property and smoked. The owner was waiting for her when she walked back!!!!! Going on about how this is a non smoking place and my mom was real nice and said she respected that and went down the street. Then he says 'well then you come in my room and stink it up and make my linens on the bed smell.' (so what, you don't wash your linens???) He said he would be HAPPY to find us another place to stay. We declined as our whole family would be coming in to join us that night. Friday morning, we left for breakfast, as soon as we got back, he banged on our door like he was the police and said we had 30 minutes to vacate his property. So we left. My uncle checked in later that day and immediately went across the street to smoke. He was allowed to stay, as was the rest of my family. this man has 8 rooms and had 5 other smokers in his rooms that were allowed to stay but my mom and I got the boot. This man is crazy..... I will never go back and will never refer this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010
14 Thank 37027Mandymay
Edelweiss M, Owner at Edelweiss Motel, responded to this review, 30 March 2015
You are talking about a previous owner.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayward
Americas Best Value Inn
Best Western Spooner Riverplace
Northern Pine Inn
Northern Pine Inn
#13 of 14 in Hayward

Been to Edelweiss Motel? Share your experiences!