“Red Pine Lodge was great for the seven of us”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hazelhurst
Black's Cliff Resort
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed for a long week-end at the Red Pine Lodge, owned and run by Blacks Cliff Resort. We were a family group of six adults and one ten year old. We really enjoyed the home (it is more a vacation home than a cabin) and had a great time (except for the weather, but no one can control that!). The cabin was very roomy, and we had more than enough space for everyone. We were not expecting, and did not fnd, Ritz Carlton level accomodations, but we found a nice, comfortable, enjoyable home with everything we needed. We had a private boat dock, with a canoe, row boat, and paddle boat all to ourselves (life vests were provided). There is a nice firepit near the house, and a sandbox for the younger crowd. The kitchen had all the necessary utensils, with appliances in good shape. There is a deck off the living/dining rooms, with a charcoal grill (bring your own charcoal). The basement rooms smelled a little musty due to dampness, but there is an anti-humidfier running and the ones who slept down there said they had no problems with the odor or dampness.
Overall the beds were reasonably comfortable, with plenty of blankets, pillows, and dressers/chests for the clothes. One very minor complaint is that the living room only had sitting space for six, so if everyone was watching the tv we had to bring in chairs. The tv is a new flat screen with a sufficient amount of channels available. There is a garage, but the resort uses it for storage so plan on keeping your vehicles outside. The walk down to the dock is fairly steep but there are stairs. If anyone has mobility problems, I would not recommend the house because of the stairs inside and the stairs down to the water. For the average person this is no problem.
The home is down the road from the resort, and you can use the resort facilities if you wish. In order to walk there, you need to walk down to the main road and then walk along that road (about 1/4 mile) - or paddle over there. We rented a pontoon boat for half a day and enjoyed it. The rental seemed a bit pricey but I do not know the going rate in Wisc. so it might be the norm. We used the boat more than the alloted four hours, but the owners graciously said we could keep the boat as long as we wanted for the half day charge.
When we left we said we would definitely consider staying here again, although we probably would fish elsewhere as the fishing was terrible (maybe due to the weather?). The home next to us also looked very nice as well. In my opinion, I would not want to stay with more than our 7 people, even though the home would hold more. Seven seemed about the max that I think we would be comfortable with, although if there were some small children maybe 8 or 9 would be ok.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, and/or are sharing like we did, I recommend the private homes over the resort...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Phoenix_dream

Reviewed 3 January 2011

I've been vacationing at Blacks Cliff for about 8 years now. Blacks Cliff to me is the Northwoods. I couldn't imagine staying at any other place. There is a nice beach area for kids to play and adults to read. Nice quiet lake. The swing beds on the screen porches make a perfect place to take an afternoon nap or read a book. I would highly recommend Blacks Cliff to anyone wanting a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank FunILVacationer
Reviewed 8 December 2010

We recently returned home from another great stay at Black's Cliff Resort in Hazelhurst. My family and I have been going there for almost 12 years and each time we always have a terrific stay. The accommodations are excellent and Jenny and Troy are the most accommodating people I know. It's a very friendly atmosphere. We enjoy staying ther so much that we now go there 4 times a year. It's a great place to relax and the scenery any time of year is fantastic, which is why I check Jenny's Blog every day. I would definitely recommend Black's Cliff to anyone who wants great accommodations in the Northwoods and well maintained cabins of any size. It's just a great place to stay!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank northwoodsnut
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Over the last 5 years I have used this resort both as a personal get away and with family and friends especially for Beerfest. The owners have always been super accomodating no matter how large or small a group we are. It is close to Minocqua's activities, yet away from the large vacation crowds. I especially enjoy their dog Poe, who seems to like to check in with me to just say hi are you doing ok. To keep enjoying the northern activities I rely on Jenny's blog, gives me a sense of peace and fun, even when I am working hard in Chicago!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Meerkat114
Reviewed 24 November 2010

It has been over 12 years since I first came to Black's Cliff. It was a recommendation from a co-worker who knew the challenge of finding a resort that accepted dogs. I have been back every year since then visiting with a group of friends in the winter and often returning in the fall. The cabins are very clean and have well equipped kitchens, a good thing since we often stay in and cook to enjoy the cabin. Its great knowing beforehand the quality of the cabin we will have. The owners are very friendly and available for any questions or concerns but leave you to yourselves to enjoy the resort.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2010

I've been staying there with family for a little over a decade. The cabins are clean and well maintained. The smell of the pine trees is great and the lake is very picturesque. A pair of loons nest on the lake every year and are often seen and heard. Other wildlife that are often seen include herons, otters, bald eagles, pileated woodpeckers, and deer. Jenny and Troy are gracious hosts and are always available, if needed. If you're looking to get away from it all, this is the place. If you like biking, a state bike trail is within two miles of the resort and can be ridden into Minocqua.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank blueslover67
Reviewed 22 November 2010

This is a wonderful place to stay while visiting Northern Wisconsin. I have gone with friends for the past 10 years in the Winter months. The cabins are easy to relax in, cozy and warm with natural fireplaces. The location is exceptional, allowing access to outdoor activities, (skiing, snowshoeing, hiking), amazing scenery and wildlife .
Our accommodations have always been as expected, great!
The owners are warm, welcoming and at hand in any situation. I know we will be returning as it is an annual outing, Black's Cliff is our Winter tradition.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Margee1952

Been to Black's Cliff Resort? Share your experiences!