“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holmen
Coon Rapids, MN
“Excellent”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I stayed one night in May 2012. The rooms were immaculate, the hotel was quiet, and the employees were courteous and helpful. I was with my two dogs for a show and there was no extra fees charged for them - they totally enjoyed the outside space. I have stayed at many hotels/motels while traveling and I have to say this is the BEST OVERALL. The continental breakfast as well was great. Thanks so much to the owners/staff for having such a great place to stay in La Crosse :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cambridge, WI
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Just enjoyed a couple of nights at this hotel. When I came on to write my review I was shocked to read such inconsiderate comments from a few people. Remember there are two sides to EVERY story! My review is this....The hotel is absolutely gorgeous and so clean. The beds were comfy and the room was very quiet. The staff was quite friendly and helpful with all of our needs. We did not know the area very well and the manager gave us detailed directions to get us right where we needed to go. I would definitely return and recommend Prairie Inn and Suites to anyone who is looking for a relaxing and clean, yet inexpensive room. It's truly a diamond in the rough!

8 Thank jody s
HOLMEN
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My family and I travel alot! The Prairie Inn and Suites was one of the nicest places we have ever stayed. The entire staff from the owner to the housekeeping was very friendly and helpful. The manager greeted us upon arrival and always made us feel welcome. The cleanliness of the hotel is second to none! We have stayed at many big chain hotels and the service and cleanliness does not even come close. As I read some other recent reviews of this hotel, I was stunned! It is COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS to think that you can check into a hotel early (especially if it was on a weekend). The manager was right, if these people wanted to get in a room early they should have stayed the night before. You cannot just expect that a room will be ready before check in time. I am sure that the housekeeping staff takes extra time to ensure that the rooms are just right. We have stayed at hotels were at check in time our room still was not ready. Unless this person who wrote the nasty review has ever worked in hotel housekeeping, i am sure she couldn't possibly understand. In conclusion we have always enjoyed our visits to the Prairie Inn. It's a great value for the money!

7 Thank TARA R
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Months in advance, several family members reserved rooms for an October 8 wedding . When I informed the desk clerk that I had spoken to someone two days earlier regarding early check-in (prior to 3PM), the clerk left to summon the manager. The manager was in a rage. I have no other applicable word to describe the incident that ensued -- rage. This manager disputed the fact that I had called regarding early check-in. She angrily grilled me about exactly what time I had called, and stated that noone would ever agree to early check-in. I repeatedly stated that we understood the situation and asked if we could at least have access to one room to take turns changing clothes. At this point she informed us that if we had wanted early check-in we should have also booked the previous night. As she headed up the staircase, she turned and said in a loud voice “Maybe you should just go stay someplace else”.

At this point I turned away from the desk and walked toward the lobby area, muttering to myself “oh my gosh”. I really could not believe what had just transpired. The manager, from the top of the stairs, started yelling “What did you say???” I chose to avoid any further interaction with her and ignored her.

The situation was surreal for all of us. My husband was speechless, my niece was stunned and my sister couldn’t believe her eyes and ears. Never have I been treated, nor seen anyone else, treated so rudely by someone in the service industry. Please understand that my complaint is not with the desk clerks. Both clerks (via telephone and in person) were friendly, polite and very helpful. Even if the clerk misinformed me about early access (prior to 3PM), that’s OK. Mistakes happen. On the other hand, the demeanor and behavior of this manager regarding the situation was deplorable. A hotel employee later stated that “she can be like that”.

Prior to my retirement, I managed a customer service group. If an employee (let alone a “manager”!!) had ever acted in such a manner to a customer, he/she would have hit the street. This incident certainly dampened our enjoyment of what should have been a wonderful weekend for a wedding. The owners of this facility should have a serious concern.

5 Thank JAP1952
blair wisconsin
Reviewed 20 September 2011

A couple of years ago, my husband and I booked a room here for our wedding night. Actually, we booked a handful of rooms for our family as well. Shortly after we got there after our reception, my husband stepped on a sliver of glass in the carpet in our room. We didn't realize this until we saw blood everywhere from the cut on his foot. We pulled the small sliver out of his foot and, naturally, threw it away; it wasn't the end of the world. Now being that it was our wedding night and we were both exhausted, I had left my beautiful white wedding dress on the floor. Unfortunately for us, blood from my husband's foot somehow made its way to my dress! We didn't notice this until some time after cleaning up the cut on his foot. We went to talk to someone at the front desk, and see if they could help us with the problem. The woman downstairs proceeded to take a picture of my husband's foot for "evidence", after we told her what happened. This was all fine, but she told us that we needed to dig the glass out of the garbage can and give it to her for proof. She strongly suggested to us that we had broken a beer bottle in the room and that was how he had cut his foot. Well, now I was very offended. This was not the case! We didn't even have any beer bottles! I told her that I had blood stains on my wedding dress because I had laid it on the floor. I was told that, "we didn't leave your dress on the floor, so that's not our fault." No apologies, no nothing. Our guess was that a small piece of glass had been left buried in the carpet from the last guest that stayed in that room. It's understandable that a vacuum could miss this; I'm ok with that. I wasn't going to complain, but every time I drive by, I think about it, and get worked up all over again. I am a manager in a prominent local company, and strive very hard to make sure that every customer leaves our store satisfied. The manager of this hotel definitely missed the mark, as she blamed us for this mishap, assuming no responsibility whatsoever. I will not be staying in this hotel again, nor will I be recommending them to anyone. Sorry, I just can't do it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jln100580
westhills
Reviewed 16 August 2011

On our second visit to the Prairie Inn & Suites we were greeted with the same wonderful service, cleanliness and comfort we found the on our first visit. But this time we were even more impressed by the sheer honesty and respect we received! I called 2 days after our stay to inquiry after items I had mistakenly left in a draw in our room (including an ipod and other electronic devices!). I was relieved immediately with, "Oh, yes we have those things here at the front desk and will put them safely away for you to pick up"! You can imagine my relief and renewal of belief in human kindness and honesty. Thank you Prairie Inn staff for another wonderful visit.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank laura g
Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The location was perfect as I was attending an event in Holmen but its close enough to LaCrosse to attend events there as well. Pros: Very reasonably priced. Super comfortable bed and I'm very particular, large bathroom, clean, friendly staff, free breakfast and fast food at the doorstep. Cons: Slightly off the beaten path, no warm breakfast items, only two thin pillows provided, minimal amenties, no elevator to the second floor and no pool. As I travel frequently for business, I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. Overall, this is a good buy for the money.

• Stayed July 2011
5 Thank TravelinCPA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holmen
Comfort Inn
Days Inn La Crosse Conference Center
Motel 6 La Crosse WI
Motel 6 La Crosse WI
#14 of 20 in La Crosse

Been to Prairie Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!