“"BEE" smart - STAY HERE!!!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Horicon
Honeybee Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Horicon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 April 2012

The Honeybee Inn is truly one of the experiences that you really MUST treat yourself to during your lifetime. Call it a "bucket list" essential! I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this "Historic" Inn. The ambience starts as soon as you enter, and sets the tone for a wonderfully relaxing and spiritually invigorating stay. I can see why it was voted one of the Nation's TOP B & B's in U.S.!
With a background in architecture, I am astonished at the quality and preservation of this period home, and it's characteristically perfect feature wood elements: The mantels, which are decorated by the innkeeper Barb's simple but glamourously rich decorations, are absolutely stunning and gorgeous; the trim and crown moldings are luxurious, and the built-in buffet in the cozy dining room is really lovey, and hosts a selection of tasty teas and coffee for your breakfast delight.
The Innkeeper's Barb and Fred Ruka are gracious hosts who have seemingly gone to great lengths to ensure the comfort of their guests.
The rooms are located on the second level, after a simple climb up a stunning grand staircase, decked out in warm and welcoming wood, with a landing that presents an incredible "must see" stained glass window wall, which casts a soothing and glorious light for the eyes to behold.
My room was meticulously adorned, very comfortable with a feather bed, soft comforter, smooth ironed linens and all the amenities of the big hotels chains, where I normally stay.
I didn't see a thing out of place and the entire Inn is spotless and meticulously clean. I'll have to go back to find out what they use on their wood to keep it so rich and luxurious.
I'll definitely go back for the atmosphere, and for sure the breakfast, which is incredibly tasty and perfectly balanced. The juice of my choice was keep filled and I enjoyed a fresh fruit, granola and yogurt "appetizer", with a monterey jack, ham and egg creation that was out of this world. I also enjoyed the hand-crafted Wisconsin sausage links that were not only delicious but gave me the protein that I needed for my busy day!
This is by far one of the best places I've stayed in my lifetime of travel. Now I wish I could transport the Honeybee to all the other locations that I must travel to in the course of my work.....wait, I think not, as the Honeybee Inn is a DESTINATION unto itself!!!
I highly endorse and fully support this glorious Historic Inn and can't wait to visit again! "I'll "BEE" Back!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 April 2012

My husband and I wanted a nice getaway for our 30th anniversary in January and remembered the Honeybee Inn. Good choice! We went there once before and loved it. We cozied up in our clean and quiet "Queen Bee" room utilizing the roomy whirlpool, multi-spray shower and the DVR. Everything was warm and comfortable once again. The breakfast was incredible and Barb was kind enough to make our requested (to die for) pineapple in maple cream sauce that we remembered from last time. YUM! This time we just snuggled up in our room, but next time we want to come at a time of year when we can take the marsh cruise Barb and Fred told us so much about.

Room Tip: If you want the best room in the HoneyBee Inn, the Queen Bee is very luxurious with large hot tub, m...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My husband and I don't usually frequent B&B's as we prefer the animosity and cleanliness of a top rated hotel. We decided to give Honeybee Inn a shot for our anniversary. We thought it would be romantic and different than our normal getaways. Boy are we glad we did!

We stayed in the Lodge (or something like that) and found it incredibly cozy and clean. We had a chance to check out the other rooms and we were happy with our choice. It reminded us of a warm cabin in the way it was decorated. The bathroom and room were spotless - putting our minds at ease regarding cleanliness. (And let me tell you, we are super OCD about cleanliness!)

After reading the last review prior to writing this review, I want to say that the breakfast was rich. Rich and amazing! We usually eat lighter but we were splurging! This was our anniversary and figured we would enjoy ourselves. And boy are we glad we did! I'm not kidding, best breakfast we've had in a long time. (Although, if you have any food issues, the innkeeper did tell us that as long as you let them know ahead of time, they are more than happy to accomodate.)

We didn't venture out too much from the inn. We had a massage in the massage room. Again, super relaxing. But we plan on coming back and checking out some of the local tourist spots. The innkeepers gave us lots of information on the little town and the marsh. I think we may return in the late summer and take the boat tour.

All in all, we were super pleased that we decided to give a B&B a chance - especially this B&B. We will be back!

Room Tip: If you want a jacuzzi tub, make sure you let them know. Two rooms have one and two rooms don't.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2012

While the building is beautiful, our experience at the Honeybee Inn was terrible. The owners' 1-year-old grandson was staying the weekend (unbeknownst to us before checking in) and was put in the room directly next to ours. We spent the evening and morning hours listening to him cry. I find it hard to believe that this was rated one of the most romantic inns when all we heard was neighbor kids screaming and a baby crying in the room next to ours.

The room was only tolerably clean. There was hair in the shower and the floor was dirty. The blinds were caked with dust, which made it very unpleasant to open and close them. Cobwebs were in the corners of the baseboards. We stayed in the lodge room. The much-hyped four mounted jet sprays in the shower aren't worth mentioning as the water pressure is too low to make them work adequately. The website fails to mention that the private bath consists of a sink in room, a separate toilet closet and a separate shower closet, with a shower door that you have to fight with to open and close.

The breakfast is incredibly heavy and rich, with no options given other than beverage or a continental breakfast in your room. It is also a lengthy affair. Make sure you allow at least an hour for breakfast. Our breakfast was serenaded by the owners' grandson gurgling and scooting around the kitchen. Again, not what we were expecting or wanted at a bed & breakfast that does not allow guests under the age of 12.

When I mentioned our concerns to the owner, she muttered a half-hearted apology and proceeded to charge us full price. We will never stay here again and cannot dissuade others enough. The customer service was terrible and the inn was so-so.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KGL919
HoriconHoneybee, Owner at Honeybee Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Due to several family members visiting for Easter weekend, we made the poor choice of allowing our daughter to occupy a guest room. Unfortunately, we didn't realize how noisy our grandson was until it was brought to our attention in the morning. That afternoon my husband and I discussed the situation and one day later we wrote a letter to these guests apologizing again and totally refunding their entire stay. We are navigating unknown territory as new grandparents, but we know that our business relies on our customer's satisfaction which we have always made our top priority.

We appreciate the comments concerning cleanliness. Although we do feel the comments above were exaggerated, it did remind us of how important cleanliness is, and we gave the room a top to bottom cleaning.

As for the shower, we investigated and found that the door is a little tricky to close. We have ordered a new door for the shower and it will be installed in the next couple weeks. As for other plumbing concerns, in ten years, our bathrooms have only received the highest praise. I have always taken great pride in my husband's skills as a master plumber and certified remodeler.

We do what most B&B's do for breakfast and that means chef's choice. Breakfast usually takes 1/2 to 3/4's of an hour to eat, depending on how lively the conversation gets. In ten years, no one has ever complained about the food. In fact, I am proud to say we get raves.

As for customer service, I think Honeybee Inn's ten years of great reviews speak for themselves. Once again we are sorry these guests were unhappy and we hope they do find lodging that pleases them.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Our stay at Honeybee was peaceful and relaxing. The room was super clean and breakfast was tasty. We stayed in Honeypot Cottage which was as adorable in person as it appeared in the web photos.

Why not an excellent rating?
There was a flood light that shone into our room and kept it very bright throughout the night. I'm sure the innkeepers would have turned it off if we asked, but it was late. The other concern we have is that the innkeepers did not know the history of the home. There was reading material, but there was no oral history provided on the home. Also it seemed that they were not well versed about tourist locales in the area.

These are minor critiques--the place is relaxing and comfortable. We would reccommend it to someone else.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nature_Nugget

We apologize for the light that stayed on later than normal. I had my husband check the timers, and they were wrong due to the daylight savings time change a few weeks ago. We have corrected them.

We do know the complete history of the inn, but very few guests want to hear all of it, so we usually give a brief history and then steer them to the complete history which is in our room information books. If guests want to know more, we are happy to tell them, when we are asked.

We love to tell guests about the many places where you can go birding, hiking, biking, etc., as we are very proud of the Horicon Marsh area. I do not recall these guests asking for any information on tourist attractions.

Thank you very much, Barbara Ruka/Owner

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Honeybee is a treasure discovered while planning a last minute winter getaway to the Horicon Marsh Candlelight Hike event. Everything about the Honeybee experience was outstanding. The hospitality was superior, the house and room extremely clean, totally comfortable and well-appointed, the private bath facilities are modern and high class, the breakfast was well-planned and perfectly executed. Feel very fortunate to have found a Honeybee vacancy on short notice; highly recommend this B&B and suggest booking well in advance so as to not miss the experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The Honeybee is a delightful, gracious bed and breakfast. My wife and I spent one night here in November as part of our trip to view the migrating waterfowl at Horicon Marsh, and don't think we could have found more comfortable and inviting accommodations.

The early 1900's house is large, gracious and immaculately restored. The common rooms are attractively furnished with late-Victorian furniture. The large living room is stocked with books and games if you want to spend some time indoors. The large, darkly wooded dining room is set with two tables for four. On the morning we were there, a gas fire was burning warmly in the fireplace.

Our bedroom was high-ceilinged, spacious, bright, clean and comfortably furnished with a four-poster bed, side chair and table, dresser, and bedside tables. It had a flat-screen TV discreetly tucked behind cabinet doors above the fireplace.

Two bookcases on the large landing outside our room were stuffed with tapes and DVD's of movies both old and quite recent that you can borrow for viewing in your room. Also on the landing were a refrigerator with complementary bottled water, complementary popcorn and a microwave to pop it in, and a Flavia coffee and tea maker.

A previous reviewer complained about the Flavia machine as somehow being inappropriate or inadequate, but we found it to be a useful amenity. It's a high-end machine that rapidly makes single-serving cups. There was a wide variety of choice of hot beverages. As tea drinkers, we were particularly happy with it. The ubiquitous hotel in-room coffee makers are useless for making tea, because they infuse everything with the taste of stale coffee. This was a much better option.

In our stays at a dozen or so bed-and-breakfasts, we've found two distinct approaches to breakfast. Some provide a serve-yourself buffet with a wide time window for dining. Others offer table-service breakfast at a fixed time or times. Neither is better or worse, they are just different. The Honeybee is table-service breakfast, with three dining times to choose from. The service is wonderful, the food is excellent, and the atmosphere relaxing.

The owners are gracious and friendly, and truly seem happy to have you as their guest. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Steve D

Been to Honeybee Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!