“Driving by”

Ranked #3 of 7 Nightlife in Hudson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

On our way home (back to hotel) and stopped for one. Our first time. Very friendly staff, very cool atmosphere. Just happened to have live music. He was a one man band and he was pretty good. Not to loud, able to have a conversation without shouting and still able to hear him. They have video games and board games. We played Cards Against Humanity. A neighboring table was playing Trouble and another was playing Cribbage. They only serve local brews, and no soda except for their homemade root beer. I had a root beer, very good and smooth, not bitter. My wife had a Beer Can Island Blonde (named after a local island). She said it was good. Great, fun atmosphere. Great view of main street.

Reviewed 6 January 2018

This place has a great patio that will be a huge attraction in summer. They brew an impressive variety of beers, light & dark, regular tap & nitro, and have really yummy free popcorn. They encourage people to get local take-out or delivery to enjoy food w/ the beer, as they do not serve any food (besides the yummy popcorn). My husband and I stopped in last night. It was kind of bizarre - we walked in & no one said hello, have a seat, no instructions, nothing. We finally took a seat (cute but very uncomfortable stools) and wondered if we should elbow our way at the crowded bar or if someone might actually come & take an order. We finally went up to the bar & stood there until one of the workers asked us what we wanted. It’s weird - the menu says they can do flights, but doesn’t give any pricing or info. We got two flights. I have to say that many of the beers were rather underwhelming, lacking much depth of character. We tried 7 different beers between the two of us. Nitro Panda is incredibly easy to drink, but it wasn’t amazing. Crooked Grin IPA was very clean, nice IPA pine characteristic. The most complex beer we tasted was the Big Mik’s Nitro - a lovely coffee stout. Would I go back again? Probably. It’s a convenient downtown location. In my opinion, the beers at Pitchfork Brewery (Hudson, WI) are much more interesting with more depth of character. Try them both, for sure. I just hope Hop & Barrel can warm-up their staff to make newcomers feel more welcome. That counts for a lot in the overall experience.