Phipps Inn
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Hudson
See available hotels
Quality Inn(Hudson)
View Hotel
All reviewsb bmary ellensconesthe queen anne suitepool tablegreat tipsnice changetwin citieschecking inbed was very comfortablebreakfastbasketvictorianwhirlpool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I recently had to travel to Hudson on a business trip and was fortunate enough to choose the Phipps Inn to spend my 2 night stay. Rich and Mary Ellen were wonderful hosts. Very welcoming and they had great advice for choosing area restaurants for my 2 night stay. I took a brisk walk in the morning before breakfast thru the quaint downtown along the river and arrived back to find fresh brewed coffee waiting in the parlor before breakfast. Breakfast was very tasty and the presentation was wonderful and unique. The sheets on my bed were heavenly and the entire inn is immaculate! My experience was great and I will definitely be visiting the Phipps Inn again, when I'm in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelerGreenLake
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a one-night stay in the Queen Anne suite of the Phipps Inn in Hudson. This is a very fine B&B in a quiet neighborhood, easily within walking distance of a number of shops, restaurants, parks, the library and the arts center in downtown Hudson. There is plenty of on-street parking and one small lot for guests. We very much enjoyed the breakfast and our suite and had great conversation with other guests.

So why not 5 stars? I'm a picky reviewer, and there were three elements that I thought should have been handled better for the full B&B experience:

1. I was surprised and disappointed that there were no evening hot beverages, either served or self-serve. Water and soft drinks were provided, but on the cold and damp night we arrived my wife was hoping for a cup of hot tea and it simply didn't seem to be an option.

2. I understand this is a B&B and an old property, but more care should be given to covering up rehab projects - things like properly filling and painting nail holes, matching tile repair, etc.

3. Finally, and I realize this might be an oddity of our suite, but there was no door (just an entryway) between the bathroom and the bedroom. We had a wonderful romantic time with the hot tub, shower for two, etc., but I'm the type that wants privacy for "other" bathroom needs and it just felt awkward. A curtain would have been sufficient.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
queenanne, Owner at Phipps Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

We are happy to provide hot beverages in the evening when they are requested either at check in or if the guest rings the innkeeper call button later on. Most of our rooms have doors on the toilet area of the bathroom and room layout/privacy concerns are easily answered ahead of time with a phone call.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

The Phipps Inn is in a class of its own. This B&B has it all -- gracious, thoughtful and interesting hosts; a beautiful 19th century home lovingly cared for; comfortable and well-appointed rooms; scrumptious breakfasts and nearby fun and interesting attractions. To add to that, we had perfect springtime weather (which has been in short supply this year). MaryEllen and Rich are wonderful hosts who attend to the smallest detail of their guest's stay. Our two night stay in Bridget's Room was fabulous -- the bed was so comfortable it was hard to leave it in the morning. The bathroom, with a whirlpool tub, is unbelievably spacious (it was once the home's library). We loved the natural light and the airy, open feeling of the room. We enjoyed playing pool, relaxing in the sitting room and spending an hour reading on the open front porch on a beautiful early May evening. We have stayed in many B&Bs. The Phipps Inn rates among the very best we have experienced.

Room Tip: The rooms are on the 2nd and 3rd floor of the Inn. The larger rooms are on the 2nd floor. The 3rd floor has 2 rooms along with a fairly large sitting room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lv2trvl55
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Location of the B&B was perfect, just a short walk to wonderful downtown shopping, eating and drinking. The hosts were super friendly and the breakfast was amazing. Loved, loved, loved, the free library outside of the inn. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jamie D
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Mary Ellen and Rich were the perfect hosts for our weekend trip to Hudson. They are very active in their business and take care of the smallest details in order to make your stay comfortable and relaxing. They have been perfecting their trade at the Inn for 12 years now.

The rooms are spotlessly clean, floor to ceiling. The rooms are also amongst the largest bed and breakfast rooms we have experienced. And very private as well. The Inn is actually listed in the National Registry of Historic Places. It is well very cared for.

Soft robes, huge spa tubs, local chocolates and even a billiards room give you lots of options during your stay. The breakfast is a delicious 4 course affair served with fresh squeezed juices and coffee.

This is our second stay at the Inn. We reserved the Peacock Room, which is on the 3rd floor. Beautifully decorated in more of a manly theme, it suited our tastes perfectly. Be sure to check out the historic Octagon House right across the street from the Inn.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple