Holiday Inn Express Janesville - I-90 and US Highway 14
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Janesville
Paradise, CA
“Very welcoming”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We thoroughly enjoy our stay here. Our extended family booked several rooms while we were here for an off-site family reunion. The large, open breakfast room was a great spot to meet up as we came and went throughout the day/evening. We particularly appreciated that there was always water and coffee available in the lobby. The staff was very welcoming and helpful with any request and area info we needed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Hard to review this hotel as renovations will be going on until summer of 2014. Workout room has only 3 machines but was told a new one will be on 5th floor. Check in was slow as Heather asked if she could take a phone call. We agreed, but then she took two more while was just stood there. Meanwhile the person behind us in line was taken care of by another employee before us. Seems to me the people present should take precedence over those calling in. Website said there would be discount restaurant coupons for those who had reservations but only two apply, and one isn't valid on weekends.
Room was fine, breakfast very good and area kept clean. Good place to stay and should be better when renovation is complete.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

First of all, let me start of my review by stating that my husband and I were in town for an event that was being held at the Holiday Inn Express. For this reason alone, we chose to stay at this hotel. Unfortunately, because we booked a little late, the only room left was a suite. This ended up costing us $174 for one night. I was not happy about the price, as this is the most expensive hotel we’ve ever stayed in…even more expensive than our fancy, downtown hotel in San Francisco. Despite the price, we bit the bullet, booked the room, and hoped for the best.

Once we arrived at the hotel, we immediately noticed the construction at the entrance of the building. It was a bit of an obstacle to get around, but once we made it inside, we were greeted by a friendly staff member. We checked in and went to our hotel room.

When we entered the room, my husband could immediately see the disappointment on my face. It was a gigantic, apartment-like, room with a separate living area, kitchenette, bathroom and bedroom. Since it was just the two of us, we were only staying one night, and most of our time was going to be spent at our event, I knew most of the room would be wasted. I was right – we never even used the living area or kitchenette. We expected the room to be fancy for the price, but the room was horribly out-dated (from the 80’s or early 90’s maybe). We later found out that they were going to start renovating the interior of the hotel this month…it is much needed. I was happy that we had a king sized bed. However, the bed caved in towards the middle. My husband and I found ourselves rolling toward the middle of the bed all throughout the night. At 4:00am, we both woke up to the sound of a dump truck backing up (beeping) and picking up trash. The loud noises and constant beeping lasted for 15 – 20 minutes. Luckily, we were both able to go back to sleep until around 7:00am when the construction crews arrived and their trucks started making noises as well. It was also loud from the traffic since the hotel is near a busy road. Needless to say, between the uncomfortable bed and the loud noises (construction/traffic), we did not get a very good night’s sleep.

As for the amenities, the breakfast was delicious (hot cinnamon rolls). This hotel also has a hot tub and indoor pool. Unfortunately, the heater on the pool was broken the night we stayed, so we could not swim in the pool (way too cold). We did get in the hot tub though. Those were the only amenities that we used.

In summary, we paid $174 a night for an out-dated room that we only used 1/3 of, an interrupted sleep, and a pool that we couldn’t use. For that price, I expected much more. There was a Microtel right across the parking lot. We had contemplated booking this hotel in the first place due to its extremely low price ($68 per night), but we didn’t know that it was so close. Had we known that it was so close, we would have booked it in a heartbeat. I would not recommend the Holiday Inn Express, at least not until the renovation is complete. Unless you can get a room for under $70 per night, the price you pay is not reflected in the room or amenities.

Positives: friendly staff members, hot tub, delicious cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and a very convenient location near food and shopping.

Negatives: Expensive, out-dated rooms, uncomfortable bed, noise/construction, and broken pool heater.

Skip this hotel and go for the Microtel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
mkshis_11, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Janesville - I-90 and US Highway 14, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
I do apologize for the inconveniences you suffered. The pool heater has been fixed and the water is now warm. Our renovations will be ongoing through the Spring of 2014. And, once done, we will be close to a brand new hotel. I am sorry that that was not explained to you at the time of your reservation. A problem resolution has been sent via a private e-mail. Again, I apologize and hope that if your travels bring you back to Janesville you will stay with us again.
Victoria Point, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Not writing this review from my own experience, but my husband and son stayed here in June. Staff were excellent and accommodation good.
Whilst Janesville is not somewhere most people would be rushing off to visit, nevertheless their experience was a really positive one.
From my point of view here in Australia at the time, I needed to get information to my husband the next morning before he left for Chicago. I called in the middle of the night their time and spoke to this wonderful woman, who gave me her email address, which enabled me to send to her what I needed to. Sure enough it was slipped under my husband's door for early morning.
Holiday Inn's are usually pretty good, but because of this lady, I think Janesville, to me anyway, is exceptional.

Room Tip: All rooms here pretty good at this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This hotel has been tired for at least the last 5 years. They've begun the process of renovation, which is a good thing.

We stayed here again recently due to work being done in our home, which necessitated us staying elsewhere for a long weekend. Our "suite" was the strangest layout ever -- and in the worst possible spot. (Under the stairway, across from the door to the stairs, and next to the door to outside. *sigh* Noisy, to say the least. And the room smelled like dirty, sweaty feet!!! Ick.

Plus -- front desk staff was sweet and helpful. Avoid staying here until after renovations are complete, if you can.

Room Tip: Don't get the two-room suite!!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank GloriaH022
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Janesville - I-90 and US Highway 14, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear GloriaH022,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is nice to hear that you found our staff to be sweet and helpful. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the cleanliness of the room may have caused you. We greatly appreciate your feedback and guarantee you the issues that you have experienced will be rectified immediately. We assure you that your future stays will be much more comfortable. Thank you again for your comments.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was hesitant to stay at this hotel based on other reviews that I read, but I am glad we stayed here. I found the hotel and room very clean. All of the staff we encountered, both front desk and housekeeping, were very friendly and pleasant. The breakfast area was kept very neat and remained stocked during the busy breakfast time. I thought the bed was very comfortable, but my husband thought the bed was too soft. There were plenty of pillows, which I like. The physical property is dated, but they are currently undergoing renovations. We were repeatedly told about the reconstruction. However, the 7am hammering and outdoor machinery was still hard to take. There are nearby eating options so we did not have to drive. But if you want to, there are many nearby choices. In addition, there is also a movie theater close. I would recommend this place, especially after the reconstruction. During remodeling I may take advantage of other comparably priced hotels nearby.

Room Tip: The outside is undergoing reconstruction now. When it begins inside they will start on the top (5th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bruinvbmom
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night. My experience was very positive. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was clean and very quiet. The location is great, restaurants within walking distance and right near the freeway. My room did not face the freeway. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because the bathroom sink area needs updating in my opinion. Also no alarm clock in the room. That seemed really odd to me. I can't remember the last time I stayed at a hotel where there was no alarm clock in the room. The free breakfast was adequate, better than others I've experienced. Overall it was a good hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo