“Inhospitable, small, not very clean”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Janesville
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Janesville
Reviewed 10 August 2009

My sister-in-law stayed at here due to a family picnic. We were having a great time so I called the desk to tell them that she would be checkiing in late. The clerk assured me that there would be no problem. Our first impression of the Inn was the extremely dirty furniture in the lobby. The check in clerk was extremely rude and unwelcoming when she checked in. I asked him twice where the elevator was. I could not understand what he said and finally he pointed and said "no elevator, stairs." I helped her with luggage and took her to her room. The bathroom was very clean. However the room was the smallest room I have ever seen. The room had no furniture other than the bed. The only place to sit was on a padded window seat which I would have to jump up to sit. The window seat had not been vacuumed. It was obvious that someone had been shopping and had removed tags because the plastic tag holders were still remainingon the cushion with assorted detris. I opened the drawers that were in the window seat and quickly closed them as they were extremely dirty - hair and cola or coffee stains. I looked for the TV and saw it perched from above a closet. We frequently have out of town guests. I would hesitate to recommend this Inn. [--]

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank mrmole1949
hotel28413, Front Office Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Janesville, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

We are sorry that your sisters stay was not a welcoming experience. We have changed management and staff since her stay and we hope you will give our hotel another chance again.

Reviewed 26 December 2008

excellent price and great stay i had. I would stay here every time i am traviling for my business. Usually i would stay at Holiday Inn and Baymont but they didn't have any non smiking room for me, i ended up going at Microtel Inn and what a great friendly staff they have there. The room and bathroom was very clean. I am a professional business man and thats what i look at. Great stay for less money. I recomend this hotel for everyone!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank smith1989

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2008

Was wary about staying here based on some reviews Ive read,but was pleasantly surprised.Good location,efficient clerk,and a low price made this a comfortable stay.If you are on a budget Id recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank BlueStriker

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 25 November 2007

When this hotel was new, it was a great addition to Janesville's hotel lineup: clean, modern, budget price, "loyalty" program where frequent stayers received a discount. They had a couple of long-term staff who were friendly, helpful and knew what they were doing.

Now, several years later, you have new ownership that has: raised rates, failed to update carpet, decor or paint, had a revolving door of less than competent staff (with one exception) and have, in short, made this place not worth the price charged per room. Paying $45 for a bare-bones Janesville room, with small bed, forgettable breakfast and paper-thin walls is acceptable. Paying $65 and adding a tired, worn-out feel to the rooms and incompetent/disinterested staff to boot is not acceptable.

• Stayed: August 2004, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ICB

We do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do hope that you will give the new management and desk staff another chance to prove that it was just one bad experience.

Reviewed 25 October 2007

We stayed here twice in the trip. Quality of experience seems very dependent on when you are there and what room you get.

First visit:
-- The original concept of Microtel was that some luxuries add little to the value of a room but cost the hotel. Microtel was to do a quality job on the basics, but to cut all the right corners. They would then pass the savings on to the customer. However the price of this Microtel was not very much less than the other motels we have stayed in. For the price the place is Spartan.
-- There are no individual lights over the beds, the room has minimal functional furniture. Certainly no refrigerator, no microwave.
-- I use a CPAP and at first when I plugged it in the electrical outlet seemed dead and then came to life. It must have had bad wiring. In the middle of the night the outlet died again and I had to fool around with it to get it working again when I should have been sleeping.
-- No fridge or microwave
-- The shampoo was in foil envelopes impossible to open when your hands are wet.
-- Breakfast was a pseudo-bagel and cream cheese that had to be thawed in the microwave.
-- There was cold cereal. There were available cellophane pastries. The orange juice came out yellow than clear then yellow. In the glass it was so dilute you could see through it.
-- Had we saved $15 it might have been worth it. But we saved about $5 over a regular hotel. That is simply not enough reward.

Second visit:
-- Much better room this time, individual lights, no electrical problems
-- Fridge and microwave
-- Room actually cost less, but it was the night before a weekday
-- Much more comfortable experience this time

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank Mark_Leeper

I am sorry that you had a bad stay on your first try with us but am glad you enjoyed your second stay. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 19 August 2007

My wife & I stayed here for a night because of a wedding. We would have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express next door but we had a pet and only Microtel accepted our little mini-doxie. At check-in the front desk clerk was indifferent - not friendly - but efficient. We could tell the motel accepted pets as soon we entered our room - it had an unclean odor. There were pee stains on the desk chair - which didn't give us a good feeling about the carpeting or bedspread. The bathroom needed attention as there were black mildew stains on the shower/bath handles. Also, our toilet would not shut off and I had to take the tank off the top and adjust the lever to do so after flushing. The complimentary continental breakfast was decent - coffee, tea, juice, some fruit, bagels & a toaster and a few pastries. The Holiday Inn Express next door, where we attended a wedding reception, would have been a much better choice - if we didn't have a pet.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike C

We are sorry that you had a bad stay with our hotel but hope that you will give another chance in the future.

Reviewed 10 January 2006

While traveling home, I ended up having to stay here due to bad weather. I had heard Microtels were cheap, this one certainly was affordable at about $45/night.

The room felt somewhat dirty though. There were cigarette burn holes and hair embedded in the blankets. Floor looked like it had barely been vaccuumed.

Being a female that travels alone for work, I did feel safe in this hotel which is important for me.

For a quick 12 hour stay I cannot complain too much. I wouldn't want to have stayed here longer than that however.

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled on business
4  Thank PickyTravelerMN
hotel28413, Front Office Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Janesville, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

We thank you for staying in our hotel. We are letting everyone know that we have done updates to the hotel and are under new front desk management. We hope to see you again.