“Comfortable, Relaxing, and Exceptional Host”
Review of Finca El Mirador

Finca El Mirador
Victoria, Canada
“Comfortable, Relaxing, and Exceptional Host”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Finca El Mirador was a great place to begin our exploration of Costa Rica. Uli is one of the warmest, cheerful, and attentive hosts we have ever experienced. She really makes this place special, and our two daughters immediately felt comfortable with Uli and her beautiful dogs. She achieves a perfect balance between being attentive when we need it and also just allowing us to relax without intrusion... not an easy task.

As a Bed and Breakfast, we were impressed by the attention to privacy and relaxation. The bungalows are private, clean, and well maintained. Ours had a hot plate, fridge, kitchen table, comfortable beds, and outdoor chairs. The breakfasts were excellent and varied during our three nights there.

A highlight for our two daughters was the pool with amazing views. I enjoyed birdwatching and walking around the beautiful property. During our stay we experienced the nearby waterfall zipline which was exceptional, and a cloudforest tour arranged by Uli with a nearby biologist who is extremely knowledgeable. After the tour his family cooked us a wonderful lunch before our drive back to the B&B.

Although we were traveling as a family, this would also be a fantastic place for a romantic 'retreat'. We wish Uli all the best with maintaining this beautiful place and hope that we can one day return.

Room Tip: Our bungalow was closest to the parking area and main house... we found it to be very private and co...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I returned to Finca El Mirador this past February. Upon arrival I was instantly reminded why I fell in love with this place the first time! The staff (Uli, Gloria and Cesar) were so friendly and welcoming, making sure I felt right at home. The gardens were beautifully kept, rooms very clean and comfortable and food delicious! This place is truly a slice of heaven and I look forward to returning again in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I just returned from my second stay at Finca El Mirador and can't wait to go back. Uli is a beautiful person and knows so much about the area and she knows so many people. I love just hanging out in the gardens and walking around the area. If that is not enough, Uli can help find just the right activity for you. Gloria and Cesar prepared wonderful meals. The rooms are clean and the view is spectacular, including the sunsets.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Pennsville, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 March 2012

If you are looking for a totally "non-tourist" place, this is it. This place is as pure as Costa Rica itself. I was recommend there by an eatery in Miramar. There are new signs posted by it not easy to find but that makes this place even more charming. The cliff-side swimming pool could not have been more inviting. The cabins were clean and simple with huge windows to let in the mountain breezes. Uli, the owner and host was perfect not only a wealth of information but one of the friendliest folks I meet on my 3 week stay in this gorgeous country. I only stayed one night but it was enough to know I found a gem of a place. If you do any dual-sport motorcycling, this place makes a good center base to stay. Also, Uli dogs are the friendliest and most protective any dog owner could hope for. I didn't feel any need to lock my door or my motorcycle. I WILL BE BACK Uli, thanks Jose.

Room Tip: Don't go there to watch TV. They do have Internet there though.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Brussels
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Thought that we would only stay for one night en route to the coast, but stayed, and stayed - and am so glad. From here, you can get to villages, coffee plantations and mountains that are authentic Costa Rica. Quiet places with unbelievable views that seem lost in the touristy side of Costa Rica. Exploring around the area, you find that you're utterly alone as a tourist, but still with enough local restaurants to keep you satisfied. You can walk out from the Finca through legendary views, the air is pure, whilstling over the mountains, the Finca's got its own woods: - I went hunting for the howler monkeys I could hear, but found only amazing butterflies and a flash of peccarie bottom.

Each day we stayed, we discoved more. We'd assumed that it would just be a resting place - but each time we asked Uli a quesiton there was more to do: meeting locals, bathing in the nature, walking. We were looked after SO well: as if we were family and friends, without any of the separation between host and guests that you sometimes get. And the sunsets - I'll add a photo - were mindblowing in themselves, as were the dawns. And there are hammocks

Room Tip: Either is great.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kn0wle
Vancouver, Wa
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We recently stayed at Finca El Mirador for 2 nights. We loved our charming Frida bungalow and had a delicious breakfast served to us on our patio. Uli was so helpful in arranging activities for us. She is the perfect hostess. She is very supportive of the local schools and community. We also loved her 2 well behaved dogs. There was plenty of hot water and excellent wifi connection in her dining area. The bungalow was spotless and very colorful with kitchenette. The view and sunsets were breathtaking and the lushly planted grounds and pool were beautiful. Do not miss taking a tour of the cloud forest at Colinas Verde with Will, the owner, who is a very well educated young man with a tremendous knowledge of the flora and fauna of the area. He has set up zip lines, a canopy platform, and suspension bridges on the property and is providing a great example of sustainable tourism and environmental responsibility by attempting to restore the cloud forest. We also really enjoyed taking a tour of the Macaw Sanctuary El Manantial in Aranjuez (a small village next to Puntarenas) where Rodolfo and his partner are raising the endangered Scarlet and Great Green Macaws to release back into the wild. The macaws are free to come and go as they please on the property. You will never see such a high concentration of macaws anywhere else in Costa Rica. You cannot go wrong staying at Finca El Mirador.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vhuang
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Great place to relax and enjoy some experiences and adventures away from the crowds. Plants and flowers and birds are everywhere. The view is breath taking and everything is so clean. Meals were deliciously prepared using local fruits and vegetables. Uli is the perfect hostess. I have traveled many places and this place goes to the top of my list.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
Villas Palmas del Mar
Villas Palmas del Mar
#1 of 2 in El Roble

Been to Finca El Mirador? Share your experiences!