“Great location, but an unfortunate evening”

Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Kenosha
Knoxville, TN
“Great location, but an unfortunate evening”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We checked in to the Best Western Harborside around 3 PM. They didn't have a king room available, as requested (one of the housekeepers had called in sick), so we were upgraded to a two double bed room harborside. The desk attendant/manager said she was sorry they were out of hot water at the moment...but expected to have it back in order any time since they'd called a plumber. We unloaded and settled in for the evening.

Around 5 PM we happened to go down to the ground floor to exit by the harbor and take a walk. That's when we saw water pooled in the hallway on the ground floor. People were trying to use a sump pump...that wasn't working. Two plumbing trucks were sitting in the parking lot. I spoke with one of the plumbers and he said they had discovered the "hole" in the water pipe.

We bailed out on the hotel and went over closer to the interstate where we would begin our trip for the next day.

I'd choose this hotel again...even though we've never spent an entire night there. The hotel has a great location within walking distance of restaurants and attractions. The view of the harbor is wonderful and I can see sitting out on one of the many benches around the walkway to take in the evening with music drifting across from a nearby waterfront restaurant. The room we were in was clean and nicely furnished. The manager was very nice throughout the whole experience. Next time.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
GMTonyCruz, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At Best Western Harborside Kenosha we strive every day to provide a superior customer experience. I am sorry we weren’t able to do that for you. Please take my personal apology for the inconveniences during your stay at my hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I stayed here on July 27th and 28th for a family reunion. This hotel is pretty good. I stayed on the 2nd floor the 27th which was pretty nice. I stayed on the 4th floor on the 28th. I got a view of the harbor leading out to Lake Michigan which was just great. I felt that the bathrooms could have been a bit cleaner, but they are currently renovating so I didn't mind. Both the ice machines and the soda machines didn't work so you had to go down to the lobby for them, but it didn't bother me. The free breakfast was lovely. Same goes for the pool and the hot tub. I remember on the 28th I was walking backwards and I tripped and I faceplanted into the 130 degree hot tub, but I had a good laugh with my cousins afterwards. So overall a pretty good hotel.

Room Tip: On the 28th, I got a harbor view room and it was a good value
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert D
GMTonyCruz, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
From the hotel staff and management we want to Thank You for your business and kind remarks about our hotel. The new owners and management have been working hard to remodel, reshape and clean this hotel. It very rewarding to see our hard work is appreciated. Thank you for your business, and have a great day.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This hotel is next to the harbor and park, so you can watch the boats and walk around. It is a very peaceful place, mostly people walking around or fishing. It is a nice place to relax, like an old time village. The hotel is on a hill so parking is more difficult. The rooms were average but the beds were comfortable and clean. Their breakfast buffet was plentiful. We stayed one night and would stay there again. There is a couple of museums you can walk to and a trolley to ride.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Catherine P
GMTonyCruz, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thank you for your kind remarks on my hotels. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon. Have a great day!
O'Fallon, Missouri
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We arrived early and asked for early check in and that was not available which is fine. We were given a ground floor room after requesting an upper level room. We were told the upper level rooms were all booked up even though later in the evening curtains were still drawn and lights were not on in these rooms. This was on a Monday. The room was clean except for the windows which overlooked the harbor. That was disappointing. The pool was very small. The rooms were ok just need some updating.

Room Tip: I would request an upper level room when booking to get a better view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank jmbbjb
, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
The hotel is currently in the process of preventive maintenance on the higher floors, we are also updating the wireless Internet for better coverage to the hotel. I apologize for the inconvenience of the lower floor, and if you return I would be glad to personally assist you with your reservations. Thank you!
Coon Rapids, MN
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My pet peeve: A/C where fan doesn't stay on between cooling cycles, also long cooling cycle overcools then long OFF period and room gets warm and stuffy. Office and Breakfast area in front built as addition to original building and floors don't line up, so you take 1/2 flight of stairs to get to breakfast or else two separate elevators (the 3rd floors line up). Review would be only 3 stars if rate for marina view was higher than $100-$110.
We had an 'oversize' room which had a nice sitting area (two easy chairs) aside of bed. Ask for room on a higher floor; our room was on the ground floor and you saw cars in the parking lot and heard people coming and going. In addition, there was background noise from the laundry area into the evening (whine of the dryer motor).
That being said, the room was nice with a pleasant view of the marina. Breakfast also had a nice assortment, and there were several very good restaurants only 1-2 blocks away, namely Villa D'Carlo and Boat House Pub. Note that a mini-frig is $6 per night; didn't ask about a microwave (there wasn't one in the room nor in the breakfast area). Also no 'Do Not Disturb' sign was provided and maid came to clean room even though we were checking out. Wi-fi was very slow at times.

Room Tip: request higher floor
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Coon_Rapids_Traveler
, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
I understand your frustration on the air conditioning units, we have about 3/4 of the hotel with new units, and will finish in August. With the renovation plans for the hotel it will make access to guests rooms easier and no more confusing stairs and elevators issues. The breakfast area now has a microwave for the guests to use, and we have make some changes to breakfast selections. Thank you for your business and your comments. We hope to see you again in the future.
Montgomery, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We booked a room here after spending a day at the beach in Racine with my grandkids. We really enjoyed our harbor and lake view. The room was a nice size and clean. I only wish they had a frig in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeside room. DO NOT go to the Boathouse restaurant a few blocks away. Terrible, terrib...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at my hotel. The hotel is in the process of renovation , planing for a late fall start on hotel guest rooms. Also, thank you for your feedback on the local restaurants. Always nice to here from the guests what to recommend. Thank you!
San Diego
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Just spent 3 days in my home town of Kenosha at the Best Western Harborside. This is the best hotel location in town. Spacious rooms with great views of the lake. Friendly staff, Tony the manager a real pro. Nice breakfast in the lobby and one can walk to many restaurants with in a block or two . Villa D Carlo right across the street , probably the best pizza in a town that's known for it's pizza. Great place to take clients for drinks or dinner . Friendly staff and every thing worked. (it's always nice when that happens)

Room Tip: Ask for "a room with a view"
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank victorleeSanDiego
On behalf of the hotels entire team, I want to thank you for you kind words and your business. We hope to see you again in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenosha
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kenosha
Hampton Inn & Suites Kenosha
Best Western Executive Inn
Candlewood Suites Kenosha
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#4 of 8 in Kenosha
Holiday Inn Express - Pleasant Prairie
Holiday Inn Express - Pleasant P...
#2 of 4 in Pleasant Prairie

Been to Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside? Share your experiences!