“Outstanding!”

Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Kenosha
Reviewed 28 October 2012

One year ago we stayed at the Best Western Harborside Inn in Kenosha and found it barely adequate: dark and dreary, worn and shabby. What a difference a year can make! The place has undergone an astonishing transformation. First of all, the hotel staff, formerly grim and gruff, now exude warmth and professionalism. In our travels, we've never encountered a better hotel staff anywhere at any price point. The guest rooms, once threadbare and cold, have been repainted, refurnished, and redecorated. The free breakfast, formerly a bare-bones affair of wrapped pastries and bruised bananas, now boasts a newly refurbished dining area, hot entrees, and attentive, helpful dining staff. We kept pinching ourselves. Were we dreaming? Best Western Harborside Inn is a prime example of how a failing property on life support can transform itself into a jewel! Congratulations!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room that overlooks the harbor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BillyBatson

Reviewed 13 September 2012

While the staff was friendly there wasn't much they could do to improve upon this dump. There had been a leak at some point just before our stay and so there was an odor that we were assured wasn't mold or mildew but some sort of mold or mildew retardant. Thankfully that smell was just in the lobby and not near our room. Our room was fine, not special, not awful but certainly not worth the price. There are a few eateries just across the street and down the road but nothing about this place would make me return. Please overhaul this place and make it worthy of the "conference center" name.

2  Thank littlejunk
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Stayed at this hotel over the weekend and it was a disappointment. Was not told about construction going on at the hotel at the time of booking or when we checked in. This was a poor first impression when going to our room and we were still charged full inflated price for the room because of the event by the lake going on. Everything looked like it needed a really good cleaning including our room. You could tell they recently repainted the room and grouted the tub, but it was done poorly. The carpet looked like it needed a good cleaning along with the furniture that was really banged up. Did not receive a "welcome" feeling until we went down to breakfast the next morning where the staff was just wonderful. Too bad the front desk staff are not like them, it would have made this hotel experience a bit better. We did have a lovely view of the lake from our room thru a leaky window. This could be a very lovely hotel on the lake if the owners took care of it.

1  Thank 4lorlyn
GMTonyCruz, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At Best Western Harborside Kenosha we strive every day to provide a superior customer experience. I am sorry we weren’t able to do that for you. Please take my personal apology for the inconveniences during your stay at my hotel.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

The staff really makes you feel welcome. Although there was a remodeling taking place, the staff went out of their way to make you feel comfortable. The location is close to restaurants and bars with a wonderful view of the lake and not far away from the museums. The room was clean with comfortable beds. The free breakfast is outstanding with many choices and plenty to eat. Once the remodeling is over, this is a great place to stay when visiting Kenosha, WI.

Room Tip: "Ask for a room with a view to the lake"
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
GMTonyCruz, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

From the hotel staff and management we want to Thank You for your business and kind remarks about our hotel. The new owners and management have been working hard to remodel, reshape and clean this hotel. It very rewarding to see our hard work is appreciated. Thank you for your business, and have a great day.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We were booked to stay at this hotel thru Orbitz - and when we arrived I was shocked! The entire bottom floor stunk so badly (come to find out they had a pipe burst). Then - when we got to the 2nd floor where our room was - the smell of chlorine (I'm assuming from the pool) was soooo strong it almost made us sick! The room looked like it hadn't been updated in 20 years! Terrible! Luckily - we were able to contact Orbitz and get out of the reservation!! It's situated on a nice place - but this hotel is so run down!

The staff was very nice and helpful - and luckily we were able to leave and find a different hotel!!

Until this hotel is updated - and the smell is eliminated - I would not advise anyone to stay here!

Room Tip: Do not stay here until it's been updated - and the pipe and all the damage (and the terrible sme...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David L
GMTonyCruz, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At Best Western Harborside Kenosha we strive every day to provide a superior customer experience. I am sorry we weren’t able to do that for you. We are in the process of renovations and updates to the first floor and pool area.Please take my personal apology for the inconveniences during your stay at my hotel.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

This was without a doubt one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had. First, it should be noted that the hotel was probably experiencing one of its worst weekends but their handling of the situation just killed it for me.

1. We arrived at a little before 4pm on Sunday afternoon. Check-in was at 3. We were informed that our room was not quite ready and would we be willing to wait 30 minutes. No problem. We made ourselves comfortable in the lobby.

2. One hour later as I wait in line at the front desk to inquire about the wait for my room, I overhear the front desk staff member tell another customer that there was no hot water. Hmmmm, what is this? Turns out there was a main break that flooded their first floor and caused the hot water pressure to plummet in effect leaving most people without hot water. Would have been nice to have been informed this when I first approached the front desk and not to overhear this piece of information. By the way, at this point I was told it would be another 15 minute wait.

3. After an hour and a half of waiting for a room that should have been ready 2 1/2 hours ago, I approach the front desk again. She tells me another 15 minute wait. She does tell me there is a non-Harborside room available, would I be interested? Yes, of course. At the non-Harborside rate though. At which point she tells me she can't give me a refund on the rate I already paid online so I'm going to have to continue to wait for a Harborside room.

4. I call the corporate office who calls the front desk who is then told that yes I can be given a refund so I don't have to pay a rate for a room I'm not receiving.

5. Finally get to a room somewhere near 6pm. But the fun isn't over yet. The fire alarm starts to go off. Mind you there is cleaning staff on our floor that seem to be hanging out there and clearly in no real hurry and they seem unconcerned and act as if this is totally normal. Call front desk who informs us there is no fire and to ignore the alarm. Alarm eventually goes off.

6. Finally leave to find dinner around 7 (there is still cleaning staff on the floor). TV doesn't work so we had to inform front staff about this hiccup as well on our way out.

7. And the finally bit of nonsense, the fire alarm went off again at 4am for a few minutes.

I suppose if any one or even just two of the above happened I could roll with it but it was one bad thing after the other and I guess what really served to inflame the situation was the complete lack of response from the staff. They apologized. I'll give them that. But after awhile you don't want to hear that there is nothing they can do about it (about anything) and you want to hear that there is someone working there with even a modicum of responsibility who is attempting to do something about it.

3  Thank ferjenni
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We get here and the WHOLE first floor is under construction. The walls are torn apart, the floors are sticky and basically not even floors. Keep in mind, you have to walk through all of this to get to the pool. (Which at deepest is 3ft, not very fun for swimming unless you are a small child.) The whole building is extremely outdated and hard to navigate. We stayed on the fifth floor and if you want to avoid the construction on your way up you have to take a big detour, using 2 completely different elevators. I took a short shower and the whole tub filled up and would not drain for over half an hour, so we called the desk asking for Draino or something that WE could do (which requires no work from them at all) and they said to just wait it out. Luckily about two hours later it was empty. There were loose cords and wires sticking out from the wall under the desk. There was peeling, dirty wallpaper. The whole place was extremely outdated. The only real positive here was looking out the window at the beautiful harbor lights. We had a pretty nice view if you don't include the room.

Room Tip: Higher floors have nice views of harbor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Brandy F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenosha
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kenosha
Best Western Executive Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Kenosha
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#4 of 8 in Kenosha
Candlewood Suites Kenosha
DoubleTree by Hilton Pleasant Prairie Kenosha
DoubleTree by Hilton Pleasant Pr...
#1 of 4 in Pleasant Prairie

Been to Wyndham Garden Kenosha Harborside? Share your experiences!