“Taking the "pub" out of "pub & restaurant"”

The Chancery Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 250 Restaurants in Kenosha
Cuisines: American, Bar, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Elkhorn, Wisconsin
“Taking the "pub" out of "pub & restaurant"”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Have gone to this Chancery and others in Racine, WI and Milwaukee, WI for some time, I have never been disappointed at the food and service.

Until now.

In the past, one could always count on a menu full of creatively-named choices, great food, and a fun attitude. Since our last visit to this location (perhaps 2 years ago), things have decidedly gone south. Gone are the fun menu choices and "Marvin", their unofficial mascot. Gone are the casually-dressed waitstaff. In place now is an uber-generic menu; all items now read something along the lines of ANGUS BURGER 8, choice of cheese, no cheese 7 (a personal pet peeve of mine - are they too embarassed to have to mask their menu prices as a simple number?). Wait staffers are now dressed 100% in black. Not really a pub-style of dress,

But enough about the aesthetics. It used to be commonplace to have a bowl of hot popcorn delivered to your table before your food got there; now you have to ask for it. Wife ordered an "unlimited soup & salad", I ordered an angus burger with a side of french onion soup. Wife could mix or match her soup choices, but started with beer cheese soup. My soup was, admittedly, to die for. Hers... tasted burnt (when she DID get the soup - more later). Mind you that MY soup was delivered well before my wife's, and that's despite the fact that the dining room was unoccupied except for a couple of tables and a few patrons in the bar watching NCAA. Also took an insanely long time to get THIS far.

Meanwhile, while all this was unfolding, I casually observed another table vacated, and sitting there unbussed for a good 20 minutes or so. Once it was cleared of dishes, it sat for another 15 until someone could be pulled away from whatever the hell was more important than front-of-house activity to actually WIPE DOWN (half-assed, no less) said same table.

Eventually, my wife's soup was finally brought out... at the same time that my burger was. She also got her salad at the same time. The reason they gave for her delay was that they just finished an afternoon rush and had to make a batch of beer cheese soup from scratch. I call shenanigans - hers was burnt! My "No Cheese Angus 7" burger was too perfectly-pressed to be a true "pub" burger like the good ol' days (and on the small side for a "7", since it was supposed to be 1/3 lb.). I'll give them the credit that the burger was not frozen. As I stated earlier, her first soup was burnt; she had the french onion for #2 and found that it was much better. Salad was, just, a salad, with too many fancy ingredients that takes it above a "pub" and puts it in the category of "you can't afford this stuff". We got done, and waited a good fifteen minutes - SERIOUSLY - for our bill.

But, in the downtime, I got in some quality time. Got to play on my iPod and check email... also witnessed a waiter walking up and down the aisle talking to himself repeatedly. We thought you couldn't see this stuff except in a Walmart!

We "could" be back... when they take the snooty attitude out of their latest theme and go back to a being good ol' pub-style restaurant. Our advice, dear visitors, is to go a few miles north to the Brat Stop instead.

• Visited March 2012

“Unfriendly menu with few sides and indifferent uninformed bartenders on fridays anyway.”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We used to love this place. Now the menu is weird trying to be upscale I guess. Side dishes are for two people which doesn't work since we have different likes. We won't be returning.

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Bar food”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The food is basic bar food with a few salads. The service seems to be young college kids. I did like the chopped salad, and they have a full bar. I would rate the Chancery much higher than the hotel. The service was good, food was average.

Visited January 2012
Mont Belvieu, Texas
“Great food and great service”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I ate here tonight because I was staying at the Radisson. I had chips and queso as an appetizer, then the French Kiss (mushroom swiss burger) as an entree. The seasoning on the chips really had some great flavor and the burger was excellent. The cook knows he is doing, as it was cooked perfectly. Autumn was my waitress and was Johnnie on the spot with the tea and additional service, plus she is nice to look at. :) Ask for her if you eat here.

• Visited February 2012
Chicago
“Hit or miss”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

The staff is always nice and friendly, but the food can be hit or miss. Some of their selections have been right on, while other times I didnt care for it.

Visited January 2012