“Rude staff”

The Royal Oak Country Pub & Restaurant
Price range: US$13 - US$53
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: This Beautiful 17th Century pub boasts a strong historical heritage with large gardens and stunning views of the South Downs. Our team extend a warm welcome to you at The Royal Oak in West Lavington, Midhurst. Located a short distance from the Goodwood Estate near Chichester and the Cowdray Estate near Midhurst, this rural village is the ideal setting for our charming English Country pub. The perfect spot for a splendid escape to enjoy British Cuisine, Cask Ales, Delicious Wines and our log fire burner for those cosier nights. We proudly source from local producers and foragers, changing our menus to suit the availability of "in season" fayre from field to fork.
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Turned up at 1.30 on a Sunday, politely asked for a menu and was rudely told by a male member of staff (possibly the manager) that there was at least a 30 minute wait as they 2 large tables in. We would not have minded waiting but being so abruptly spoken to is just not acceptable.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We ate at the Royal Oak on Saturday night and the food was simply stunning, 10/10.
The Lamb i had could not be bettered and the Burger my wife ate was a masterpiece.

1  Thank Chivy4
Reviewed 15 March 2014

After a very disappointing visit to the Queens Head at Sheet last night we returned to the Royal Oak for dinner tonight. We are so glad that we did. Friendly welcome and excellent service even though the bar was packed and busy. The food (grey mullet (three large pieces beautifully cooked with amazing roasted vegetables with a fabulous (secret recipe) sauce & Haddock and chips - excellent as usual). What a contrast to last night and how good to have a local pub which is really trying to give consistently excellent food and good old fashioned service with a smile. Well done.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

After a good walk in the South Downs we drove through a few villages looking for a pub for Sunday lunch. Most were busy or looked run-down and so we were very glad of the Royal Oak. It has a good-sized car park and when we walked in the door it was clear that this was a pleasant pub.

We sat up by the fireplace, a group of four of us in muddy walking boots. The low beams thankfully padded for the benefit of the taller friends in our group. The waiting staff were jolly and enthusiastic. We ordered our Sunday lunches and it turned up fairly quickly. I had roast beef which was pink and tasty with crispy roast potatoes, crunchy veg and a slightly dry Yorkshire pudding. We all agreed the roasts could have done with more gravy but that's a common complaint at pubs everywhere.

I certainly enjoyed my main course and we all had desserts, I had the cheeseboard which was enormous and my friends had ice cream and crumble which they all said was very tasty. When we asked for tap water the waiter bought over a bottle of ice water and four glasses with ice in which I was impressed by.

Overall we had a lovely lunch in a nice pub with friendly staff. My only complaints would be that their coffee was too strong for my tastes and the roast dinner a little dry. Total cost for four diners with alcoholic drinks, roast dinners and dessert: £91.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Years ago we used to visit the Royal Oak on a regular basis. But with so many changes in management, we have given it a miss as it had gone downhill. But this evening on our way home, we decided to give it another try.
My husband had what he said was "the best steak in ages"
I settled for Haddock and Chips, so nice to have proper potato chips.
It was quiet, only about a dozen others besides us, but then again it was early evening on a wet Monday.
The young Barman was very polite and efficient. We would definitely visit again.