“Nice Spot for an Overnight Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Karsten Hotel

Karsten Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Kewaunee B&B and Inns
Illinois
“Nice Spot for an Overnight Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

We were in Green Bay for a college basketball game and stayed overnight at The Kewaunee Inn. (Packers had a game scheduled; all rooms in G-B were booked.)

Admittedly, it's one of the largest Bed & Breakfast establishments I've stayed in. The hotel is quite comfortable. The room was basic with decorations reflecting nature. It was no-frills, but that was expected. Two double beds, a desk, night table, full bath and nice pedestal sink. I had read reviews about the noise and was prepared with my earplugs. As a light sleeper, they definitely came in handy.

Breakfast was simple - juices, coffee, muffins, cold cereal and pancakes/waffles upon request. Staff was friendly; we felt quite welcomed.

When I'm in the area, I'll return to The Kewaunee Inn!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank iluv2go2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Merrill, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Having lived in the surrounding area nearly a half century ago... it was more than wonderful to return with a nights-stay at the former Karsten Hotel. The age of the hotel dates back to 1912 and has maintained much of its original decor. We found the entrance and the appealing lobby area to be most inviting and very well-kept. Being a chilly, autumn evening, we felt welcomed with a glowing fire. The staff was very friendly and most helpful. Our room was on the second floor and was very clean and quaintly furnished. As we walked the hallways on the third floor, it felt as welcoming. The bar area retains its originality, as well as the dining area. The continental breakfast was of good variety with fresh fruit, juices, milk, coffee, cold cereal, yogurt and several choices of home-made muffins. Our host, Mike, was humorous and offered much information. The hotel has had a number of owners over the past century and the present ownership is doing a fantastic job! A limousine service is offered for weddings, anniversaries, school functions and for trips to the Green Bay Packer games! I would highly recommend a stay here, as the hotel is as interesting as the city itself! No... we did not have any ghost experiences, as some of the reviews have stated! We look forward to a return visit!

Room Tip: The rooms on the East side of the building offer a view of Lake Michigan.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Having exhausted any chance of getting a hotel in Green Bay for the game, we trolled the internet and found the Kewaunee Inn. I am so glad we did. The price was very affordable and the hotel was full of great history. As we entered, we saw a beautiful lobby area. The young man at the desk got us checked in quickly and we went to room 207. It was a corner room -- very large and nicely decorated. The bed itself was firm (the way we like it) but the pillows were a little flat and hard. After we checked in we went to the bar for a beer and found out that they offer a limo service to the game! The price was good ($50 each, which included admission to the Bart Starr VIP Party featuring all the food and drink one could consume in 2 hours) and we didn't have to deal with parking and the mess of driving back to the hotel. The hotel is old and so you can hear all sorts of noises -- bring earplugs -- but that's to be expected. The breakfast was probably our biggest disappointment. We got to the breakfast area about 9:30 and there were only a few muffins left. Hmmmm. We had coffee and then a few more items were brought out, but not much. We didn't hear or see any ghosts, but were able to visit some of the haunted rooms and areas of the hotel. The lake is just 2 blocks away and we enjoyed walking along the beach. Overall, I really liked the Kewaunee Inn and would recommend it!

Room Tip: We had room 207 - corner room with King bed and whirlpool. Not all rooms are as big. Room 310 is the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Lakewood, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Breakfast cooked to order, beautiful views of Lake Michigan. Close to Green Bay for Packers game (from Cleveland) today against the Browns. Went up into Door County for awesome fall views! The Clearing(Ellison Bay) was a very nice 2 hour walking tour that was stunning! Fish hatchery in Kewaunee was neat too!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Maple Grove, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We just returned from our road trip to Door County and returned via Kewaunee yesterday. What a wonderful hotel, Décor is A +- the staff friendly and personable. They were truly a "Pet Friendly" Hotel and welcomed my two little dogs. We were able to sit on the historic porch and have a wonderful pancake/egg breakfast in the morning. Everyone treated us like they truly were happy we were staying there and what could they do to make our stay better...Highly recommend !!!
As a side note- this is a relaxing retreat- in October there was not much too see or do in town- as I believe it is the end of the "season" - Shops were closed.

Room Tip: I hear the corner rooms are larger-we didn't have such a room, but felt very comfortable. The In...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Baraboo, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is quite the jem of a hotel! We wondered into it, not knowing what to expect, and boy were we surprised!! Great décor, great staff, great experience! We got the 'premiere' room, and woke up to the most beautiful sunrise over lake Michigan! Great breakfast, comfy beds. Could not have been more happy. I highly recommend this to anyone!

Room Tip: Go for the premiere!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Fountain Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

This was several years ago, but still worth reviewing. I arrived in the middle of a blizzard at almost midnight. Keys to the front door were left in the safe by the front lobby door and I was told to take any room I wanted when I got there. Up the stairs, first door on the left.. Climbed into bed and turned off the light.
It wasn't long before I started to hear children's voices in the hallway along with little feet scooting across the floor. After about an hour , I finally got up to see who would let their kids be out at that time. I opened the door and no one was there and the voices and footsteps stopped. Hmmm, strange but I'm going back to bed. I woke up and found my way into the dining room for some coffee. After breakfast, I cleaned up and prepared to check out. When asked how my stay was, I mentioned the children's voices and footsteps in the hall at 3am. The lady behind the desk acted like this happens all the time and made me aware of the history of the Inn. Then she tells me I'm the only guest staying at the hotel. I still get chills thinking about what how vivid the sounds were that I had heard the night before. After my morning meeting, I went back to the Inn for lunch to find out more about the history.
All I will say is you can choose to believe or not about the "house guests".
When I stayed there, it was per-'07 Ecocrash and the place was nice. Hopefully, it is still a place that can continue because it wouldn't be right to leave "them" there by themselves. I'm told they are like Casper, the friendly type..

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dave S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kewaunee
Lighthouse Inn Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kewaunee
Harbor Lights Lodge
Harbor Lights Lodge
#2 of 2 in Kewaunee

Been to Karsten Hotel? Share your experiences!