“Short and Sweet”
Review of The American Club

The American Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kohler
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I had the pleasure of visiting this March. My friend was attending a medical conference and remained an extra day after the conference ended for us to have a short girls weekend. The room and atmosphere are perfect. The small touches make The American Club perfect. We had a corner room on the second floor and it was beautiful with many windows for a beautiful view and plenty of light. We ate at tge Wisconsin Room and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The shuttles offered will take one practically anywhere, but most attractions such as the pool and shopping are only a short walk away. We had a wonderful stay, the service was marvelous, and I would love visit again in summer.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EmERgeencyRN
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear EmERgeencyRN,

We are so pleased you and your friend extended your stay to enjoy The American Club. Our team does work very hard to deliver the small touches you note when they take care of our guests. We look forward to your return in the summer, when the warm weather returns to our resort!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Everything about The American Club is 5-star. I absolutely enjoyed my stay and cannot wait to return and try the carriage house this time around. You will NOT be disappointed! Be sure to visit all the amenities. We didn't discover sports core until our last day...but would of used the pools way more if we had known!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank ChiReviewQueen
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear ChiReviewQueen,

We are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward to your return. Thank you for letting us know that we can communicate our Sports Core facility better, we will be sure to share this with our front desk team. It does have two excellent pools our guests enjoy complimentary and if you return in the summer the beach is a must visit as well.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We go to the American Club several times a year, and I've gotten complacent in that I expect excellence, and always receive excellence. This time, they exceeded even my incredibly high expectations. In the past few years, I have been having a problem with an allergy to the detergents that most hotels use in their linens and towels. I stay at hotels about 4 - 6 times a year, and it doesn't seem to matter if it's a high end resort or hotel chain, I have an allergic reaction. I have taken to bringing my own linens with me to hotels, and instructing housekeeping not to launder them, which is really no fun. When making my arrangements for my stay at the American Club this past weekend, I noticed online that I could fill out a special request form. One of the questions they asked was about detergent allergies. I filled out the form and received a phone call from the American Club. I was expecting to bring my own linens as usual. Instead, they asked me what kind of detergent I used at home (Tide) and said they would wash all my linens in Tide! I was so shocked and happy, but it didn't end there. Shortly after we checked in to the Carriage House, I got a call from the manager to make sure I was happy with the linens (which I wouldn't know until I slept on them, but it was reassuring to get the call, knowing my request had been honored). Then, we went for massages at the spa, and when I was shown to my locker, the attendant told me that the robe and towels in my locker were specially laundered for me. They just blew me away! But the best part of all was waking up on Saturday morning with no allergic reaction!! I just can't say enough about this place. We stayed at the Carriage House this time, since it is still cold outside and wanted to be able to lounge at the spa without going outside. Also, just a side, they feed you so much, you may not need to eat outside of the Carriage House (morning breakfast, afternoon tea, happy hour all included - and a substantial amount of food at all three!). After happy hour on our first night, my husband and I ended up splitting an appetizer at the Horse and Plow, and on the second night, we had some popcorn at the Horse and Plow. Seriously, take that into consideration when making your reservations. Just love this place to death and can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: We stayed in an immersion suite at the Carriage House, so tub for two was in the room with us. Loved...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BostongirlChicago

Dear BostongirlChicago,

We are so happy to know you returned home in the same condition as when you arrived to The American Club, with no allergic reaction! The team truly enjoyed this opportunity and will be very motivated when we share this review. Thank you so kindly for taking the time to post this, you cannot imagine how much impact your words have on those who made this possible.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We were going to be in the area visiting family, so decided to splurge a bit and stay at The American Club for 2 nights. From the time we drove up to the time we left, we felt totally pampered! The amazing part was how many times we were called by name by the staff. They just couldn't do enough for us!
Our room was very comfortable, although a little small, but the shower made up for that! Another time we might opt for a larger room. We ate once at the Horse and Plow, which was the only restaurant open during a very cold winter week-day. It was very good, and the service was excellent. The Wisconsin Room was open for breakfast, and we went there both mornings. Not only was the food good, it was exceptional. It was fairly expensive, but we got so much food that we could easily skip lunch. It was great having the shuttle available to take us all over the village. And when I forgot my purse at the coffee shop, they sent the shuttle back to retrieve it. Above and beyond! We are excited to return in the fall and try one of the golf courses.

Room Tip: Since we got the cheapest room available, I'm assuming they are all good!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda W

Dear Brenda W,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience a The American Club. We are very pleased to know the entire team pampered you and made your experience above and beyond. I rarely worry when guest items go missing, as our team is quick to secure and return items. I am pleased they provide the transportation to return your purse to you. We do have many categories of rooms, that come in all shapes, sizes and of course different showering/bathing experiences to try. We look forward to seeing you again in the fall.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

My wife and I just stayed at the American Club to celebrate my wife's birthday. Take time and have lunch or dinner at River Wildlife. During the cold of winter, we spent a lot of time at Sports Core and that was great. Compared to the health club we are members of, Sports Core is exceptionally clean and all the equipment works. The outdoor hot tub on a cold day is fun. The horse and plow is a nice environment and reasonable dinner. The breakfast in the Wisconsin room was wonderful. The staff is always great! Lots of little touches at the restaurants and our room for my wife's birthday was very nice and appreciated. Highly recommend for a getaway weekend.

Room Tip: we prefer to stay at the Inn vs Carriage House and like the rooms on the farthest wing from the lobb...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UWPPioneer

Dear UWPPioneer,

Happy birthday to your wife and thank you for selecting The American Club to celebrate. You enjoyed one of the most unique experiences we offer at the resort, the outdoor hot tub at the Sports Core! It stays open as long as the weather is above 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Between the warm water in the tub and the fireplace besides the tub, it is very refreshing to enjoy.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

The American Club/Carriage and Kohler Waters Spa is the perfect getaway for anyone from Chicago. Just a few hours from Chicago, the property and surrounding neighborhood of the American Club is beautiful and well kept. In the winter time, the Christmas lights and fireplaces are beautiful and inviting. In the summer and fall, there are paths for biking and running everywhere and it is wonderful to explore.
The Carriage House is worth the extra money, so you may get the breakfast, tea time and hors d'oeuvres. I thought the newly renovated Horse and Plow was a great option for dinner, as the other dining options are just ok. I really do not like Cucina and felt the food was pretty bad; and it is a small restaurant usually filled with big parties making it impossible to hear the people at your table. The Wisconsin room is great for breakfast, the eggs benedict was amazing! However, for dinner it was way overpriced and the room is a banquet hall, making it feel less romantic and quaint for a dinner choice.
The spa facilities are wonderful, including the top floor of the spa which has a co-ed hot tub. The cool plunge is great, and the showers are what you would want and expect from Kohler. However, the treatments are a total rip-off and after the first few visits, it will be hard to justify going back and paying over $200 for a massage that is just average. I am also really against the idea that the spa makes you get 2 services to avoid a "spa usage fee" on busier days. I also find it interesting that they bump up the price of the services on Saturdays. I get it, it is a popular day, but usually this means less available times for services and no chairs in the spa area, so I recommend going during the week, when it is less busy and much more quiet.
The town (really just 1 row of shops) nearby really has a few pricey stores. The green house coffee shop in the American club is adorable and great for a quick light breakfast. Overall, unless you go for a walk/run/golf/bike, you have no reason to be off the property. You will be able to relax in the spa, read a book by the many fireplaces, or go for a few very expensive meals.
Last thing to note, the golf courses are beautiful and there is a Yoga facility on the Lake and access to their fitness center. A perfect combination of relaxing and fitness oriented if that is your thing.
I think this place is worth going to once or twice, but after that, there is really no reason to continually go back for the amount of money you will spend for a short trip. I also think the management really cares and welcomes feedback, which is nice to see.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Luv2travelNamaste,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. You are correct, we do welcome and value feedback. The Carriage House is worth the extra money because beside the food offerings you note, guests who stay there also have complimentary access to the Kohler Water’s Spa common areas seven days a week - without scheduling any spa services! The two service minimum on Saturdays applies to guests who stay at the main building of The American Club or the Inn on Woodlake. We offer options to our guests to plan the right stay to meet their needs.

We do hope you consider visiting us more than once or twice, it would be our pleasure to work with you to create the right getaway experience you desire. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

For the past five years we have been coming to The American Club for my wife"s birthday in February. In the past, we have come-up from Chicago with friends and always have had a great time. This year it was my wife's mothers 75th birthday and we wanted to do something special so we invited her and Dad to be our guests at The American Club for the weekend. To say the least they were totally overwhelmed by the five star experience.

From the time that we rolled up to the front door, to the time that we departed and the bellman, and those guys are all great, addressed them by their last name, they truly had a magnificent experience.

My in-laws received a room upgrade, champagne, three tier towel birthday cake, and another cider and mixed nuts special treat the second night. They had never experienced such a level of service as they had this weekend. They now know why Kohler is the only five star hotel in the Midwest.

As always, and as I say that I think about how difficult it must be to deliver that "as always" superior level of performance and yet not disappoint. That being said, I think that a moment of special thanks and gratitude needs to be sent out to the management and all the fantastic employees of The American Club, that as it appears, know nothing but delivering a superior level of service at all times. Having interfaced with customers, I personally know that this is a real challenge and no little task. So a special thank you to all the great people that make it happen!

OK, back to the weekend. We again drove out to Schwarz's Supper Club in the middle of no-where, St Anna and had a fantastic time as always. Thank's Sherry for the original find! On Saturday we traveled out for a little ride and had lunch up in Manitowoc at a great little place called 8th and York, in the old bank building, thanks again to Sherry. Second time there and second time great food. Again, not to skip over the food at Kohler, because it is always exceptional especially the Wisconsin Bloody Mary's at Black Wolf Run, but I feel it helps to share local spots to make your overall experience of the area more satisfying.

Only disappointment of the weekend was dinner Saturday night in down town Sheboygan. We had previously been to a restaurant down town called Margo's which is now named The Black Pig. Same chef and owners, but a different menu and wait staff. The food was disappointing, as was the service and sadly it previously had been off the wall great. Then $9 for a so-so glass of wine at the bar for Sheboygan was crazy. So, anyway I would have to give a pass to The Black Pig! First ever pass for any area restaurant!

The weekend did end with a superior brunch back at The American Club with incredible service. The smoked white fish and salmon, not to mention the oysters on the half shell were all phenomenal! Yes, I am fussy, but Kohler knows how to deliver!!

So, it was a fantastic weekend that my in-laws loved, all they could do on the way home was to talk about how much they loved it and looked forward to coming back again? Hopefully, they can find it by themselves, next time! See that's how great Kohler is, it can even make you forget who you are with! A little light humor here?

Well to wrap things up, to all the sensational/fantastic employees at Kohler, thank you so very much from our hearts, for your extra efforts to celebrate a very special 75th birthday for my mother-in-law and make it an unforgettable experience that she will always remember! You guys are really very special people!

Thank You!

Tom Hudock

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank tom h
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear tom h,

Happy birthday to your mother-in-law! We are so delighted you selected our resort to celebrate. You recognize our most valuable asset, our team. They are the ones who truly make our magic happen.

ChristineL

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kohler
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Manitowoc
Holiday Inn Manitowoc
#3 of 6 in Manitowoc
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
Econo Lodge Sheboygan
Econo Lodge Sheboygan
#8 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to The American Club? Share your experiences!