“Still love The American Club” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The American Club

The American Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kohler
Chicago, Illinois
“Still love The American Club”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I've stayed a few times dating back to the early days in the 80s and the hotel only gets better and better. The service is exceptional in that everyone truly seems to enjoy making your stay enjoyable. Everything smells wonderful everywhere you go, no matter the season, due to the signature Hollyhock scent in soaps, etc. The lav fixtures always delight, especially the toilet/bidet with a dozen settings near the spa desk. Kohler Waters Spa is sublime and the services top notch (I have been to many spas and I rate this highly along withe the AAA 5 Diamond rating). And, the Healthy Soles pedicure by Jodi was incredible!

I've only stayed in The American Club part of the hotel and love the Frette linens, special shower and quiet comfort. The value was amazing since the room was only $207 with taxes over Easter weekend. I've paid more at a lowly Holiday Inn Express.

One thing I would add to the hotel is a better casual coffee shop/cafe since the Greenhouse is limited in its offerings (more for coffee and smoothies) and the Take 5 is a drive away at the Sports Core and not much of a restaurant. It would be nice to have eggs or a sandwich at a sit down restaurant on site.

Enjoyed The Immigrant Room even though it is now divided into tiny rooms and you get a little too much service. The food was good but a small menu and fancier than I need in terms of tiny portions with a smear of cauliflower puree and a thin slice of beet that looked like mere decorations. Tasty but fussy.

I miss the piano in the Winery. The entire resort would benefit from live music playing because it would lend a more lively feeling to the hushed atmosphere. No one playing the piano in the Library although that is a lovely spot for a cocktail with nice sofas and chairs. I missed Tea, however, so cannot review it. Enjoyed the Sports Core and the lovely walk outdoors around Woodlake.

I'll be back for sure!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Shelia171,

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay over the holiday weekend. Jodi is an outstanding technician at the spa and she always gives her best to make the guest experience exceptional. So glad that was your experience.

Thank you for the feedback on our coffee shop and music. We greatly value guest input.

We look forward to your return.

Christine L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and I spent 3 days and 2 nights at the Carriage House of the American Club. I am a "spa-expert" and my wife likes good service and nice hotels. Well, we were not disappointed. The weather outside was miserable, so I donned my bathrobe and hung out in the spa. I also signed up for a nice "detox- massage. You are supposed to reserve ahead, but I found an open time slot. BTW- we bought spa-finder discount coupons at Costco. The spa was great. I enjoyed the saunas, whirlpools, and roof-top lounge area. My wife enjoyed the snacks, tea-time,happy-hour foods/wines that appeared in the lobby. Our room in the carriage house was spacious and very comfortable. Of course the bathrooms were fitted with nice fixtures. The only criticism is that we were upgraded to the top floor, and the room has only one window which makes the room dark. We ate our meals at at the Horse and Plow, which has good food and reasonable prices. We had the hamburger, veggie burger, sandwiches, and chicken. The bloody Mary's are wonderful. The Carriage house provides a very nice breakfast with breads, pastries, fruit, smoked salmon. We also worked out in the fitness center which is a beautiful facility just a about a mile down the road. I swam in a 25 meter pool and my wife used the high-tech fitness equipment. The service at the hotel is great. One evening, after dinner, we were sitting in the lobby area relaxing and one of the people at the spa desk made us a fresh pot of coffee!

Room Tip: Carriage House is worth the extra.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear MrB003,

How lovely to read that you and your wife enjoyed your stay at the Carriage House and your time in the Kohler Water Spa. The Bloody Mary you enjoyed at the Horse & Plow was recently featured in a book, The Bloody Trail by Susan Fiebig, as one of the best in the state of Wisconsin. They describe the garnish as a mini-salad bar. Glad you enjoyed it!

So glad your rainy weekend was made brighter by your experience at our resort.

Milton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

If you've read even a few of the trip advisor reviews you already know about the rooms, spa and services. They're all great. Let me tell you about a few of the special things that make this place so unique. My wife and I stayed at the Carriage House. They try hard to anticipate your needs. Umbrella, lint brush and shoe horn waiting in the closet. Newspaper delivered everyday (even on weekends) in a purpose made bag on our door know. A bottle of wine we had started and left neatly on the wet bar recorked upon our return from dinner. Toothbrushes neatly placed in a clean towel packet and hair brushes placed on another clean towel. Wet swimsuit removed from tub ledge and hung neatly on a hanger from the whirlpool spout. Clean white bed mats placed on the floor beside the bed. The list goes on and on. I only wish we could afford to visit more often!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David10_1960
Dear David10_1960,

We are very happy you had a lovely experience at our resort. Thank you for taking the time to note some of the small details you experienced during your stay. Our team takes great pride in these small details each and every day. They will be so pleased to read how they impacted your experience.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

The American Club is fantastic. A great place to relax and unplug.

A little expensive but it is SO unique. If you have a chance, you must stay!

Bathrooms and bedrooms are awesome. The lobby is very cozy and warm. The Horse and Plow is a great place to enjoy a nice pint of Jigger Ale! Awesome!

Room Tip: Any room is great. Try the Carriage House if you have the money!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Patrick K,

So happy to read you had a relaxing stay at The American Club. The Jigger Ale, is specially made for us and can be found in St. Andrews Scotland at our sister property The Old Course Hotel and here in the Village of Kohler. We have it on tap at The Horse & Plow and both golf courses. Glad you enjoyed our special brew!

Lake County, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Amazing service in every way. Greeted with a Yellow Submarine Cocktail for our stay for the Liverpool Legends concert there..which was amazing. The room was comfortable and the shower with all it's luxuries was awesome. Only negatives were the place is extremely dark, all around, inside. And the restaurants within were very pricey. We chose the Horse and Plow Pub as the prices were most reasonable but the food was disappointing. I also feel for the price, a small continental breakfast should be included. Overall, 50/50 on this one. The service was so good and the room so comfortable, it made up for the restaurant disappointment.

Room Tip: We did not have time to do the Kohler tours and heard they were neat.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Pam8387,

Our team is truly our most valuable asset. It is lovely to read they made your stay a positive experience. We had fun coming up with creative ideas throughout the entire resort during the Liverpool Legend weekends. The Yellow Submarine was one of many surprises our guests encountered.

Please accept my apology for your experience with our restaurants. We do value your feedback.

Downers Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Plan ahead & make all of you spa, dinning, recreation, personal trainer, & t-times in advance! Unlike most spa centric resorts at Kohler you need to call & make each reservation yourself. (A 4d/3n stay could require a call to the spa, 5 restaurants, the yoga center -located in the shopping plaza, the florist, golf pro, gym (LM 4 trainer), ... ahh relaxing isn't it! Also- dbl check opening & closing times before going anywhere & confirm your apt. Shops will not always adhere to the times posted -especially during off season. Other than that rms feature a variety of Kohler items- fun to try b4 you buy! Lovely restaurants

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank aught2
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear aught2,

We are happy to know you enjoyed your Kohler bathing experience and our restaurants. Please accept my sincere apology. We have a team who calls our guests 2 to 3 weeks before they arrive to ensure all reservations are made. I am truly sorry we did not make proper contact with you. Had we made contact, this team is able to make all necessary reservations and improve your experience before arrival.

With Sincere Regrets,
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have stayed at the American Club a few times for various conferences. I have always enjoyed my stays. The staff is always friendly and willing to help. The grounds are sprawling and relaxing. The rooms are very clean and provide a very tranquil sleep environment. Whether you get a room with a kohler shower or bathtub, you won't be disappointed. The spa is a must - you can easily spend hours there unwinding. If there is a negative, it is probably that the food is decent but not particularly anything memorable. I'll be back, I'm sure!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Acjanis,

We sincerely appreciate your review and are thrilled to know you will return. Ensuring a peaceful night’s rest is always a priority! Many of our guest rooms feature different Kohler showers and bathtubs, perhaps on your return you might like to try a different room category for a different experience.

ChristineL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kohler
Victorian Village Resort
Victorian Village Resort
#2 of 2 in Elkhart Lake
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
Harbor Winds
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan

Been to The American Club? Share your experiences!