“Excellent Service, Great Spa”
Review of The American Club

The American Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kohler
“Excellent Service, Great Spa”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We just got back celebrating my husband's 50th birthday at the American Club. My husband is a big golfer so he scheduled 36 holes of golf for 4 days. I play a little so I played 18 every morning then spent every afternoon at Kohler Water's Spa. My husband booked us in the Carriage House due to the spa being there and it was an excellent choice. We arrived before our room was ready so we went to have coffee at the Greenhouse which was a charming little coffee shop at the American Club Hotel which was less than a blocks walk.
Our room was good but nothing special. The bed was very comfortable but there was not a lot of room to maneuver around and it was dark due to the lack of windows. There was a skylight window and a small window in the bathroom. The bathroom was great with a big tub and two shower heads made by Kohler. There were three sinks in the room too. The toilet paper was horrific, one ply and abrasive. I had recalled someone writing on Trip Advisor about it in the past and they said that they called housekeeping and it was switched out. They wanted to use recycled products. I called housekeeping and they had no idea about better toilet paper. I called back and spoke to the head of housekeeping and read her the review on Trip Advisor. She told me that she would look into it and get back to me. Ten minutes later, she calls back and thanks me for bringing it to her attention and that she would be right up with softer toilet paper. She delivered it herself on a platter. I call that service!! Instead of making light of my request, they actually try to make the customer happy!! This was so nice after we had terrible issues at the Four Season's Scottsdale with housekeeping.
The service everywhere around the hotel was wonderful. Everyone was so nice. They had a small breakfast in the morning that was complimentary and they had snacks and wine/beer with cheese every afternoon.
Our first night we walked a few blocks to Cucina Italian restaurant and we really enjoyed the food. The service was also outstanding. The second night we ate at the 5 star restaurant Immigrant and it was our best meal there!!! We had the tasting menu with the wine pairings. Highly recommended. They did a great job with the pairings and even allowed my husband to switch out a wine that he liked better with the foie gras. The crab salad was amazing as was the dessert. Next, we ate at the Horse and Plow. My husband liked it but I didn't care for it. They were busy and it took nearly 40 minutes to get a server to come by our table and the bartender did not know how to make a French martini. We also had dinner at the Wisconsin room. I thought the dinner was fair. The breakfast buffet, however, at the Wisconsin room was well worth every penny. We did both the regular buffet and the Sunday brunch and were very pleased. Service again was wonderful .
It rained about every day but we were able to play golf. We played both courses at Blackwolf Run and both at Whistling Straits. They were in great condition and my husband loved them all. They had shuttles that ran to the courses also. The caddies were excellent.
The spa was excellent and I would spend about 3 hours a day there. I had a great message with Terry (male) that was excellent. He incorporated many techniques and it was a great experience. I also did the river bath which was wonderful and relaxing. I would bring my book and hang out at the relaxation pool that had a waterfall. It was mostly peaceful. Occasionally a group would come by and ignore the sign on the wall that said "quiet area". If you stay in the carriage house there is a special elevator that you can take and just wear your robe back to your room. Lots of people walked around in robes so it wasn't uncomfortable. There was a fireplace and hot tub up on the fourth floor that was nice but every time I went up there it was crowded and a lot of talking.
The only knock on our trip was the incredible expense. I felt that things were just overpriced especially the room and the golf. For that reason, we probably won't come back but we were happy that we experienced it for this special occasion. I also highly recommend it for special occasions if price is no object.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Magdi H,

Happy Birthday to your husband. Thank you for selecting our resort for this special occasion. Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review about your stay. You enjoyed so much of our resort while you were here.

We are seeing many of our guests enjoy the resort like you did. Together time, his time and her time!

We do offer different packages and events during the colder months. In addition our second hotel Inn on Woodlake is a more modern hotel. Perhaps you might consider a return during the winter or try the Inn instead!

Best wishes,
Christine L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Boston
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed at hotels in 48 states in US, 59 countries around the world and witnessed service, amenities, rooms ranging from superb to abysmal. The American Club in Kohler, Wisconsin rates among the top locations anywhere. From the moment you drive up to the hotel and lads decked in traditional Scottish golf garb take your bags, to the moment you exit the hotel for an outing, you sense this will be a stress-free journey of comfort and ease. The hotel is a converted housing unit for craftsmen recruited in the late 19th and early 20th century to work in the Kohler factory and produce essentials for American bathrooms and kitchens. The buildings have been magnificently renovated into a hotel with comfort zones. living rooms, restaurants that beckon anyone with an appreciation of American elegance without excess. Service is so attentive it is difficult to conceive of staying at a mundane hotel in the future. Each of my computer or phone charger cords were neatly wrapped and tied so as to unclutter my desk area. Every piece of my belongings were tidily restored each evening and morning. Evening turn-down service was impeccable, with shoes placed in neat parallel rows. A request for a shelf to cover desk drawer make my computer more accessible arrived minutes after a staff member scoured the premises to locate one with correct dimensions. Furnishings in the room were impeccable, elegant and markedly comfortable. Naturally, the bathroom was outfitted with beautiful Kohler products, But nothing was spared in terms of light fixtures switches, delightful towels, beds and bedding. The rooms had the look and feel of beautifully appointed homes in the Washington DC area, elegant tasteful and quality. The area surrounding the hotel is magnificent with acres of parkland, jogging trails along rivers, and a Kohler design center which displays the present and future of bath and kitchen design. This is a must-visit for the esthetics and history, as well as those contemplating a home make-over. Those with an athletic bent will find the 18 hole golf courses as challenging for pros as for amateurs; access is trivial via a free hotel shuttle. Service at the golf course is also impeccable with all arrangements beautifully in place on our arrival. Canoeing, kayaking, fishing and a host of other outdoor activities are available. This is an American destination resort not to be missed. My only reservation is the too-dim lighting in rooms and hallways, consistent with the décor of the resort, but a bit challenging for aging eyes.
Kohler is the heart of historical and current American ingenuity, perfection in amenities necessary for bathrooms and kitchens. The American Club reflects these same standards in the resort.

Room Tip: Rooms are so well insulated they appear to be sound-stage quality
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear lilacroller,

It was a true delight to read your review, you have a wonderful way with the written word. Our housekeeping team works very hard to surprise our guests with the little touches you noted. We are pleased they enhanced your visit, along with the attentive service you experienced.

History is at the root of everything we do. And of course our plumbing experiences.

Christine L
San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

During a recent visit to the Kohler factory, The American Club was our home for three days. This hotel has an old world charm and upscale feel in keeping with the standards set by the Kohler company throughout everything it does. It is in the heart of the small bourg of Kohler and located a short walk away from the sought out Design Center and other Kohler branded destinations. The spa was also amazing - the Hot Stone Massage is highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 1BigDaddy007
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear 1BigDaddy007,

What a delight to read you felt The American Club was your home while you were visiting Kohler. We are so glad you enjoyed our spa and the hot stone massage.

Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Loved our stay here. Service was over the top. Room beautiful and comfortable.
We did not do Spa or golf but I am sure both are fantastic.
Kohler is like Disneyland. So perfect.
Great place to relax and enjoy life!

Mimosa/ wine or lemonade at check in.

Room Tip: We were in lower(1st floor level). Because of drapes/ wood shutters it was dark. Request room on sec...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear john b,

How lovely to read your visit was perfect and how well you enjoyed our guest rooms. Our team is our most valuable asset and we are very happy they made your experience positive.

Desloge, Missouri
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here 6/30-7/4 and the stay was very enjoyable ;) The staff was very accomadating and helpful. Be sure to take advantage of the shuttle service...most places they can take you to are within 10 to 20min and it saves on gas and having to park and walk. We stayed in a standard room and was just like the picture on the website along with having a very relaxing feel. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was the BEST! It had a rain shower, a regular shower, and 2 wall sprays!!! Housekeeping was amazing , keeping everything neat tidy and organized. The property itself is wonderful. Having restaurants onsight (the Immigrant, the Wisconsin Room, The Green House, and The Horse and Plow) made for quick ease and access for breakfast, lunch, dinner or desserts/snacks. This really came in handy after a full day of activity and rain when we didnt want to travel out again. Although for breakfast if you dont mind traveling a minute down the road to The Woodlake Market they have an amazing breakfast with great prices along with lunch too. The hotel is quiet elegance but offers up activities galore....I suggest going horseback riding ( my husband and I had a blast). I have no complaints about our stay...it was simply relaxing, enjoyable, and so nice to feel like we were being looked after. The only thing keeping this from being a 5 star review is the price. This is not a place to take your dollar lightly. Be sure to plan your stay here and budget so you can take advantage of all The American Club has to offer, with that being said I would still easily stay here in a heartbeat :).

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SEMOgirl,

We are very happy to read about your recent visit, how much of our resort you enjoyed and that you would return in a heartbeat. The best vacation is one where you feel pampered and taken care of, so glad that was your experience. When you return, if you select another room category, we feature different showering experiences that are fun to try!

Best wishes,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay this time, after a bad experience at the other resort. It was so quiet and peaceful at the Carriage House. We were celebrating our 22nd anniversary. Nice surprise to get the strawberries and champagne after check in for our celebration. Nice room, large tub. Loved touring the American Club. Enjoyed our dinner at the horse and plow. So happy they were able to cook a gluten/dairy free meal for me. The spa was peaceful and calming. The whole visit was great. We even took a carriage ride around Kohler and visited Whistling Straits.

A few things I wish they had smaller and bigger slippers for the spa, my husbands were way too small and mine were way too big, I guess they are one size fits all? Maybe a few gluten free options for the afternoon tea and nightly wine appetizers would be good too, it was still nice to have, I was able to enjoy fruit and eggs and the wine.

Overall a very pleasant stay and we cant wait to return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear deerez,

Happy Anniversary! We are so pleased to read how your visit was great. The carriage ride is such a charming activity to enjoy. Thank you very much for the feedback regarding our spa slippers and appetizer selection. We do appreciate the suggestions.

We look forward to your return,
Jonesborough, TN
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Just stayed at The American Club June 28 through July 1st. In the past 2 months, I have been to PGA West, Kiawah Island, and now Whistling Straits. I mention this to illustrate a close comparison. You can see my reviews of the other 2 on Trip Advisor. My wife, who reluctantly goes to golf destinations and said The American Club and the Kohler area was as good a trip or better than any she has taken. For me, an avid golfer, it's paradise. So, on with the review. Flew into Milwaukee, rented a car, and completed the approximate 1 hour drive to Kohler. Roads are good and drive not a problem. We had rented a suite with a king bed,living room, large tub and shower area, and toilet room. This place owner by Kohler Plumbing and Kitchen Fixtures so you can begin to imagine how nice the rooms are. I have stayed in Ritz Carlton's all over the world and this may be the best equipped room I have stayed in. Beds are very good. Room service and attendants very good. We ate in the restaurants at the American Club and the food was excellent. My wife did the spa as always while I golf in the mornings. My wife has visited many spas on theses trips and says this spa may be the best. It's called Kohler Water Spa. Name says it all. I played Black Wolf Run River Course and Whistling Straits. Black Wolf is 5 minutes from resort. Whistling Straits is 20 minutes. Resort provides transportation to all courses. Overall course conditions I would rate 10 out of 10. Straits course a little pricey but worth it. This was my first trip to Whistling Straits but will likely return next year. It's a great place to come for golf and rest. No night life. Reminds me a little of Pinehurst.

Room Tip: All rooms are well located. Suggest a suite but I did not see other accommodations.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ridgesgolfer
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Ridgesgolfer,

We are truly honored by your lovely review. Thank you for such kind comparisons to other amazing properties. We are very happy you and your wife enjoyed so many of our resort amenities.

We look forward to your return,
ChristineL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kohler
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#7 of 11 in Sheboygan
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to The American Club? Share your experiences!