“A Historic Building with Topnotch Service”
Review of The American Club

The American Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kohler
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was a stopover for us on our way to Door County. We knew that it is primarily a golf location, but we wanted to stay in a nice place. We stayed two nights and that was enough. Of course if you play golf, a longer stay is needed. The building is decorated and maintained superbly. Each and every staff is friendly and helpful. The food in the Immigrant was very good. In a hall down from the lobby are archived articles and photos that are very interesting and tell the history of the "hotel". We visited the Kohler Design Center and a few stores on the property, there weren't many stores. We also walked and rode the horse pulled wagon around the town of Kohler. The town is kept extremely neat and clean. You would think you are on a movie set, the homes are very modest and looks like a great place to raise a family. I think we will always make this a stop to Wisconsin and Michigan.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Michaeli01,

Thank you for making our resort a place to visit while you head to Door County. As you know, we are just minutes off the highway! The Village takes great pride in maintaining all the homes and buildings. It is a very lovely place to raise a family.

Our team looks forward to your return.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

My title says it all. I have grown up around The American Club and have utilized almost very aspect of this place that I can think of. The staff is just amazing, some of the nicest people I've met in hospitality. I always look forward to going to The American Club even if it is to just walk around.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear matt s,

Thank you for paying such a lovely compliment to our team. I couldn’t agree more! They are truly the real diamonds and stars at our resort.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Golf spa and great food await you here at the American Club. We played 72 holes of golf while our wives enjoyed the spa and design center. We highly recommend this midwest resort for pampering and a wonderful couples retreat!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear HoosierDady,

Thank you kindly for recommending our resort. It is always a pleasure to read about guests who visit and enjoy, his, hers and together time!

We hope you are able to return for a second round in the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We wanted to tour the Kohler Factory and stayed here. Unfortunately, we are not golfers. This review is to caution travelers not to stay here unless you want to play golf. There is very little else to do at the resort.
That said, the American Club is lavish and beautiful with prices to match. We should have stayed in a less expensive place because we are not golfers.
The rooms are comfortable, especially the bathroom, which you would expect of a place owned by the largest bathroom fixture manufacturer in America.
Maybe the golf is fantastic, but the food and rest of the place are not. We spent more time driving to Sheboygan to eat and visit the art museum, walk around the river and find local treats. Not much to do at the American Club. The history and village of Kohler is interesting but not worth a stay of more than a day.

Room Tip: Not a good value for money unless you get discounted or free golf.
3  Thank FlorafromHawaii
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear FlorafromHawaii,

You are correct, during the summer golf is our most popular activity and a lot of our guests visit us to golf. I would like to apologize, our concierge team is well trained on the activities we offer across our resort. Guests should be able to visit our concierge team and leave with more ideas than time allows! If you would honor us with a return visit, I am confident the team would be able to customize your stay and ensure you have a full agenda. We are appreciative of your feedback, to help our team grow.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

First of all, a trip to either of these hotels on this property is going to be fantastic. They call it The Kohler Experience for a reason! Whether you are on a romantic weekend with your sweetheart or a golfing trip with your buddies, this little piece of Paradise in Wisconsin will not leave you wanting.

Let's start with The American Club. There are only 36 resorts in the world with a 5 star and 5 diamond rating and this is one of them. The service is unmatched, the hotel has a European style charm and the bathrooms will blow you away - it is Kohler after all! I've stayed at La Costa in Carlsbad, and The Lodge at Pebble Beach - two wonderful resorts! But the Spa at Kohler takes things to a completely different level. Some of the most unique and luxurious water treatments you can imagine.

The Inn at Woodlake is a much more modern experience. Elegant black and white décor, flat screen TV's with surround sound. The bathrooms are still awesome of course. Much easier ti find two queen beds here than at The American Club. This is definitely the place for the golf buddies weekend. A hot breakfast buffet is included in the morning and they even have a putting green on the backside of the property overlooking the lake.

Something to consider; The Spa, the Restaurants and the bathroom showcase at The Kohler Design Center (a must see!) are all either right at The American Club or across the street - with the exception of the fine restaurants at Blackwolf Run and Whistling Straights. On the other hand, The Sportcourt, basically a full Fitness Club (included at no extra charge) - is next door to The Inn at Woodlake. Fear not though, you could walk between the two facilities if you really wanted, but they have constant shuttles that will come at your command.

The restaurants are everything you'd expect. From a majestic wooded cabin-like experience at Black Wolf Run, to an Irish Cottage at Whistling Straits to The 5 star elegance of The Immigrant Restaurant, Kohler provides you with a choice of every type of dining experience you desire.

Then there's the golf. Oh my! the golf! My wife and daughter will tell you they got the better deal with the Spa, shopping, restaurants, etc. I'd give it all up just for the golf. There is a reason they have US Opens, PGA Championships and Ryder Cups here! There are two parkland courses at Blackwolf Run - the River and The Meadow Valleys and two links style courses, The Irish and The Straits at Whistling Straits. The River is considered the premier course of the two Blackwolf Run courses, but The Meadow Valleys is sensational. The Two Whistling Straits courses are built right on the edge of Lake Michigan and will leave you breathless The Straights course has some 1,200 bunkers and greens that literally spill into lake Michigan, and the Irish course is gorgeous and rocketing in popularity. I could go on and on but trust me, you're going to have a hard time beating this golf anywhere in the world. One note, Whistling Straights is a fifteen minute drive north of Kohler with a full restaurant and pro shop. A pint on the deck overlooking 9, 18 and Lake Michigan is a must at the end of a memorable round.

Important tip! Check out their packages on their website, they are the only way to go especially if you're playing golf. They come with caddies included on the Straits Course, a free personal lesson (it's a real lesson with video), and free re-rounds if you schedule your time well on the Irish and Meadow Valleys course. You can't beat these package deals.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Johneblood
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Johneblood,

Thank you kindly for the amount of time and detail you included in your review. You honor us with this comprehensive summary of our resort. I am sure you, your wife and daughter had an interesting debate discussing our Kohler Water Spa and golf! We are looking forward to the 2015 PGA and the 2020 Ryder Cup.

Great advice to finish a day at Whistling Straits with a pint on our deck! The view is breathtaking.

We hope you and your family will find your way back to our resort again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We loved our stay at the American Club. It was so nice to see true craftsmanship in all areas of the building. The bathrooms were superb showcases of Kohler fixtures. Ours had a large shower, with multiple shower heads and radiant heated floors to step out onto.
The service was sincerely friendly and accommodating. The dinner in the Wisconsin Room was so good we'd head back for that alone.
I didn't get to play golf, but after seeing one of the courses, I'd like to return.
The town I'd so perfect and clean, it's almost eerie.
My wife took the factory tour and raved about it. We both toured the Kohler design center, and were glad we did.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Nextboat,

We are very happy you loved your stay and would like to return. The factory tour and Kohler Design Center are both free activities that teach about our company’s history and present state. Our tour guides are all retired from our manufacturing facilities and take great pride teaching our guests about the many manufacturing processes that lead to the superb bathrooms you enjoyed!

We hope you can find time to return and play our golf courses!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Before booking this stay, I pored through all of the reviews here and other sites - reading the good, the bad and the ugly. I had heard both good and so-so things from friends that had stayed here, so going into our stay, my expectations were right in the middle (I don't like to be disappointed!). :) I'm so happy to report that my expectations were totally exceeded. As a point of reference, I'm from Chicago (city, not suburbs) and worked in hospitality for a few years. Some of my favorite stays vary from the Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva, the Palomar and Four Seasons in Chicago, the Intercontinental in Atlanta, Ink48 in New York and for a family stay, the Hyatt Place in Madison.

The most common trait across all of these places is the service and The American Club in Kohler totally delivered (and exceeded) on that front all around - from the time we were booking our reservation to the moment we left. We stayed in the Carriage House - we booked a Heritage Room and at the time of reservation, I asked if an upgrade was a possibility, knowing it probably wasn't, since it looked like the hotel was sold-out online. I was told that they would check at our time of check-in. Imagine my surprise when we checked in and were automatically upgraded to a Governor's Suite. Yes! Next surprise was birthday champagne chilling in our room with a handwritten note from Megan! Thank you!

All around, everyone was incredibly gracious and kind. Everything from always using our names when greeting us, opening doors all over the place, to remembering a question I asked earlier in the day (about yoga classes) and following up with me when we ran into the same staff later, to the gift shop staff wishing me a happy birthday (it was on our record) when we were buying advil. All of these are really little touches, but really make it truly a five-star experience. The best part, is all of the hospitality felt genuine and sincere. We had such a great time laughing with our bartender at the Winery (Peter), our server and busgirl at the Wisconsin Room and our bartender at the Horse and Plow. All those little things are the cherry on top of a great experience.

I would post my pictures of the room, but honestly, every picture that is posted here and on their website is true to form. When I walked into the Kohler Spa, I literally said to the spa host, "it looks exactly like it does on your website!"

There were a lot of comments that the rooms are dark - they are, but they have enough lighting that you can brighten it up. If you're someone who needs a lot of natural light, you might want to consider an Immersion Suite - from peeking into other rooms, it seemed like those had lighter, more contemporary fixtures and more natural light. Overall, the attention to detail and the cleanliness in the room was impeccable. Sidenote - there were tiny, little added amenities in the bathroom that made me smile (bath salts, loofa, body spray and after shave balm). Again, it's the little things that make the difference.

Our suite was huge - a wonderful sitting area (three chairs, plus a long sofa along the wall). We had a gigantic bathroom with a soaking tub with jets, along with a huge shower with a waterfall/five-massage jet feature, heat lamps in the ceiling and towel warming rack, along with two sink areas. One note - the waterfall/massage jet feature was LOUD. Not sure if it was just ours, but it wasn't horrible, just not terribly relaxing. But, it didn't bother us.

Turndown service each night was wonderful and included the most amazing truffles from the chocolate shop in the shops area. No wrapped peppermints here.

I will post reviews of the spa and the dining options under those areas, but overall - it was all great. The spa was clean and relaxing. The food and drinks were all great.

Stay in the Carriage House, the breakfast (continental, but also had smoked salmon and hard boiled eggs), tea and happy hour (well stocked with self-serve wine and good beer - spotted cow, summer shandy) are a wonderful plus.

We didn't golf and purely went to sleep, spa and eat. All three of those were perfect. I'm looking forward to our next stay!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, they may or may not be able to accomodate. Stay in the Carriage House if you c...

Dear tmm03,

We are thrilled to have exceeded your expectations during your stay at our resort and spa. Our team loves to pamper all guests, and enjoys making a special occasion even more special. We recently added an additional light to each guest room to improve the lighting. You are correct, our Immersion suites are the brightest rooms at our property, with color schemes that match our Kohler Waters Spa.

I never tire saying our team is our most valuable asset! Your review confirms this.

Christine L

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kohler
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
La Quinta Inn Sheboygan
#4 of 11 in Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to The American Club? Share your experiences!