“Loveliest, kindest staff I have encountered in 35 years of traveling!!”
Review of The American Club

The American Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kohler
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I noticed when I called multiple times prior to our arrival that everyone was really nice and super accommodating. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a glass of sparking wine. From that moment forward, every time you had any exchange with an employee, it was "my pleasure, of course, thank you Mrs Carr, absolutely, have a great day, I'm so happy to assist you, etc etc etc.". !!!

The room, 220, was a standard king. Satisfactory room, nice bathroom fixtures as I would expect. Retreat Package included 2 spa treatments, 2 breakfasts at Wisconsin room, and 2 yoga on the lake classes. Breakfast buffet was lovely (you could order off the menu as well), MANY different options.

Spa was outstanding . Plan to spend a good part of the day there if you can. I had the kohler signature massage with a guy named Terry who was excellent. The next day I had the same massage(booked it at the last minute) with Kate. Also great.

My husband and I spent outr 25th anniversary there. When we arrived there was a bucket of champagne and each dinner we received a complimentary happy anniversary dessert. Really nice special touch.

Lastly, the grounds are spectacular. Beautiful gardens all over the property. Have a complimentary cup of coffee in the Greenhouse and sit in the courtyard for a really relaxing morning!

I surprised my husband for our 25th and he can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Dear Susan C,

Happy anniversary, what a wonderful milestone you and your husband achieved. We are always honored when guests select our resort to celebrate these occasions. It is a delight to read how the entire team provided you with kind service. The Greenhouse is one of my personal favorite spots to enjoy, so glad you discovered it.

Thank you for recognizing Terry and Kate, all of our spa technicians strive to make each spa service memorable.

We hope you return for future anniversaries and wish you another happy 25-years.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Checked in early on a Sunday around 11AM, which was nice. Front office was helpful in finding rooms which was very appreciated. Once checked in, headed to guest room where key did not work. Housekeeper was helpful in commandeering a front office agent to run a key to me then I heard another guest in the same hallway whose key did not work. Bell staff was helpful but not overly friendly.

Ate in Horse & Plow and service from the bartender was average at best. Seems like they were understaffed. Food was tasty but for over $110 for 3 ppl., it was just okay.

Room and bath were small but did like the Kohler fixtures.

Overall disappointing for $300+ per night and not 5 star in my humble opinion.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tom S

Dear Tom S,

Please accept my apology for making a poor first impression when your key did not function properly. We are looking forward to replacing our key system over this fall and winter.

Our team is empowered to check guests in early when rooms are clean and ready, it is a pleasure to read about our team seizing their empowerment! However, that level of service should have followed you through your stay, and every interaction should have left you feeling the same way.

Thank you for your feedback, we will put it to good use.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

$441.78 per night for a Five Star Resort. How does one get such a rating. Welcome to your grandmother's attic.We checked in and given a small dark cave of a room. No natural light and needed all the lights on mid day. One chair in the room, one sink in the bath. Rememeber this is Kohler the bath fixture company. Hallways were long dark and narrow. Carpets were worn, elevator doors scratched and wood work throughout in need of refinsihing. The decorating led you believe your great grandmother is still alive,hasn't been updated in years. Restaurant prices are over the top. Food is good and better be for $42.00 per entre'. $28 for a glass of wine served in the basement by women dressed like nuns of old. We were introduced to the "sommilier" and after talking to her she admitted she had never even taken a wine class. Presented our bill upon departure and included was a $23 Resort Fee. Asked why? Shutlle service and news paper,never stepped on a shuttle and did not get a newspaper??? At these prices why would nickel and dime your guest. Save your money, get a room at the Holiday Inn, plenty of natural light and enjoy Wisconsin

Room Tip: Nothing has changed in 25 years
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank expertravel1

Dear expertravel 1,

Please accept my humble apology that we failed to provide you with a Five Star experience. While we realize that décor is personal taste, we certainly should have provided you with such an amazing experience to earn a better review. In addition, our team did not fully explain our resort fee, there are many more inclusions. For example all guests receive complimentary internet service, business center and access to our Health Club the Sports Core.

For guests who prefer more natural light, we do feature a second hotel at our resort. The Inn on Woodlake, located just north of The American Club is more contemporary in design and features lighter décor. We recommend guests view both properties on our website to find the hotel that best matches their preferences.

With deepest regrets,

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Very fine at all turns. We stayed in The Carriage House, huge room, 3rd. floor. I went to the Spa, it was like no other. Dixie, 13th. year at spa, was an angle. It is hard for me to relax, and by the time she was done with my detox massage, with facial and head massage, I could not move, nor did I want to. Day before Kate gave me a firm, full body massage, it was great as well.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thomas V

Dear Thomas V,

We are delighted you enjoyed your services at the Kohler Waters Spa and your room at the Carriage House. The best compliment our spa technicians can receive is when guests don’t want to move at the end of the service!

Reviewed 22 August 2014

My father's family grew up in the Villiage of Kohler, and worked for the Kohler Company for decades. Besides quality bath fixtures, the American Club was originally part of the housing for Kohler Company workers from Europe.

Today, it is a Five Star resort with amazing golf courses.

My extended family has lunch at the "Horse and Plow" Bar and Grill - which originally was the bowling alley. Very nice atmosphere, service and food.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear LarTraveler,

You are correct, The American Club was built in 1918 to house immigrant workers coming to American to begin a new life. After closing down for renovation in 1978, in 1981 it reopened as a luxury hotel marking its new purpose.

We are glad you enjoyed the Horse & Plow, it was the original recreation center for the workers and after prohibition offered a shot and a beer for $0.25! What a deal.

Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Caveat: I stayed here with friends as a get-away/spa trip, not as a golfer.

The best part about the Carriage House is that it is adult-only which is perfect when looking for a few days away with friends. The Carriage House is compact because it is the original structure. However they have done a good job of retrofitting the structure to accommodate hotel rooms.

We had 2 adjoining rooms (362 & 364). 362 is a 2 queen bed room with slanted ceilings so it felt a little cramped. 364 is a king bed room with high ceilings, separate shower and WC rooms, and felt quite open and large. The shower area was a large open space covered with tasteful Travertine tile. This allows Kohler to showcase the double-headed spa shower. The area also contained their Seawall Whirlpool Tub. Plumbing fixtures are not at the top of my checklist of items I look for in luxury hotels so while it was clean and new, it did nothing to impress me. The other issue with the fancy shower space is that while roomy, it is wide open with no privacy which is a little exposed. I can only imagine how cold it would be in the winter to have all that open space with no way of trapping the warm air. A heat/warming lamp is installed in the ceiling.

The rooms are dark wood and dark, heavy furnishings. While it fit the style of the building, it was too dark for the long, bright days of summer. The available window space is small so do not count on natural light to brighten up your room.

The service was excellent. Exactly what you should expect from a 5-star resort.

Was the whole package worthy of a 5-star rating? As a non-golfing guest I would say no. I cannot speak to the quality of the resort from a golfers view however. That would require a review of the golf course and this review is strictly for The American Club/Carriage House, rather than the resort as a whole.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank cgiessler
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear cgiessler,

Thank you for your review. At the Carriage House every category offers a different bathing and showering experience. Your King bedded room is a Heritage room, and as you note with an open concept shower. Our reservations team can detail out each category and the bathing/showering experience to be sure the experience matches the guest! Some guests like to try something new when they return, some have personal favorites.

Very happy to read our team provided you with Five Star service!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I thought 'southern hospitality' cannot be beat. But, this midwestern city and specifically the club really surprised me. This will remain one of the most memorable business trips I have ever taken. Congrats to the staff and especially the concierge staff!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Farhan16

Dear Farhan16,

Thank you very much for acknowledging our team and the service they provided to you. We are very happy they made your business trip memorable.

Christine L

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kohler
Inn on Woodlake
Inn on Woodlake
#2 of 2 in Kohler
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel - Sheboygan
#3 of 6 in Manitowoc
Victorian Village Resort
Victorian Village Resort
#2 of 2 in Elkhart Lake

Been to The American Club? Share your experiences!