“Good, but needs polish”

Radisson Hotel La Crosse
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in La Crosse
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I was nervous after reading recent reviews, so I entered our room with a critical eye. In plain sight on the floor was a clear straw wrapper. I bent down to pick it up, and while doing this I looked over at the closet safe. I saw a beer bottle cap under the safe on the closet floor. As I went to throw those items in the garbage, I saw an empty box of "Muscle Milk" with the associated straw on the floor peeking out from under the bed's dust ruffle. I went to open the sheer draperies and there was a big oily head print on the window. This stuff was all in plain sight and should have been seen by housekeeping staff. I felt like maybe the recent bad reviews might be right.

Further inspection showed the room to otherwise be clean. A good test is to look where the baseboard meets the carpet. There was no dust build up there. The tub and toilet were clean, as was the bathroom floor and fixtures. There were some dings and scrapes on the doors and furniture, but not too bad. The furniture was not outdated and looked good. The room decor was good, but there were a few gross stains on the carpet that could be shampooed again. The bathroom faucet and sink are new and are stylish, and the shower worked great.

You really have to pay attention to the sleep-by number bed adjustment instructions, but once we figured them out, the bed was great. Someone complained about the lousy channel selection and small TV, but we found plenty of channels once we figured out the remote. The TV size was perfect for the room. There were also a lot of good movies available that were just released to video. Our laptop computer connected to the Wi-Fi with ease, but it was really running slow.

We stayed in the Plaza Club, which comes with free hors d'oeuvres and cocktails for two hours, turn down service (who needs this), free cookies at night and continental breakfast. The hors d'oeuvres selection was so-so, but this was likely due to the small number of people staying there on a Sunday. However, since we ate lunch at a restaurant earlier in the day, the food and drinks from 5-7 pm were enough that we didn't need to eat out that evening. There was a nice selection of craft beers and wine along with soda for the non-drinker. The next morning, we had a nice continental breakfast with fresh fruit, oatmeal, bagels, jelly, coffee, juice, etc; so much so, that we bypassed lunch.This is a perk well worth the extra money.

There were a lot of previous complaints posted about unenthusiastic staff, and while our reservation clerk sure seemed underwhelmed by my call, the rest of the staff were very nice and attentive. One negative thing that struck me was how much the polished metal in and around the elevators was covered in hand prints. Many were big, gooey smears, probably left by drunken Oktoberfest attendees the day before. If I managed the place I would have been cleaning them myself if needed, as they were so obvious.

Overall, the hotel is like the metal in the elevators. Just a little polish and it would be great.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kenneth123

Reviewed 20 September 2011

In over 20 years, I have never been disappointed in a meal at the Radisson. Until last night.
After raving to my guests and friends about how good the food is at the Three Rivers Lounge, Last night was so disappointing, I am not about to return. Under the waitress' advice (she was obviously told to push the port shoulder), we ordered it. Two meals came out that looked like something from the Country Buffet, and tasted even worse. The thin piece of meat, which the young girl said was tender... was 99 percent fat, and the struggle to find one eatable slice of meat was embarrassing. I should have guessed that waitress would know about meat, much less have actually tried it. Until last night, I could depend on the waiter giving me honest advice, the table being set professionally, and the presentation of the food to be very appealing. On September 19, there was no evidence of anything well done except for the dried edges of the pork, which they tried to camouflage with sauce. I won't be going back there, nor will I ever brag about how good the food is again. To add insult to injury, it was my guest's birthday. $65 dollars wasted.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Polly K
RD-GM, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2011

I am disappointed you did not enjoy you visit to our Three Rivers Lodge restaurant. Please let me make it up to you and host you for another dinner visit. I have shared your comments with our Restaurant Manager and Executive Chef for their feedback but can tell you the maple pork sandwich is one of the most popular items. We are sorry it did not meet your expecations or to your liking. When you have time please call me at 608-793-5000 so we can discuss further.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

Very convenient and right on the beautiful Mississippi River. Great little Spa on the corner across the street ~ perfect little location for you and your girlfriends to have a "get together" weekend and shop and spa and relaxation. Excellent restaurants and you can even take a little cruise down the River if you'd like. All fun!

Room Tip: 8th floor is the best! Best view!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
RD-GM, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2011

We are glad you enjoyed your girls weekend getaway! Thanks for the great comments and we will share them with the Spa across the street as well. They are newly opened and we are glad to have them as a neighbor.

Reviewed 13 September 2011

A downtown hotel so you’re centrally located right along the river. Not overly large rooms however certainly not cramped. The furnishings were in good condition and the bathroom fixtures were very upscale. The room was very clean as were all of the common areas. Full TV line-up. If you happen to be in Gold Points you might get the Plaza upgrade which will get you evening hot snacks and beverage and your own breakfast buffet. The restaurant has very good selection and the portions are excellent. You might want to walk off dinner first to make room for the huge dessert portion. Very friendly staff. Be aware if you GPS the official address it will take you along the River-side of the building which makes it hard to find unless you look on top of the building for signage. Also, parking is on the 2nd street side so it’s easier to use the same address and substitute 2nd street for Harborview Dr.

Room Tip: Be a member of Gold Points.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Thanks for the great comments. We will share with our staff and thank them for the efforts. I see that you endorsed our Club Carlson as well, thank you for being a part of our loyalty program.

Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed here in connection with a family wedding. The hotel is right next to a gorgeous riverfront park (with gardens) that borders the Mississippi River. The staff was very nice, especially one of the housekeepers (Margaret) who was helpful and flexible when we needed room service (and when we needed the room). We had several very good breakfasts in the hotel restaurant and an overall positive stay. They could use better pillows, though!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a river view
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
RD-GM, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2011

Thank you so much for the kind comments. We will share them with all our staff (especially Margaret) and thank them for the efforts. We do enjoy a beautiful location for everyone to enjoy.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

Went there on business and stayed in a River front room and just loved the 'PLAZA" treatment. They always offered Breakfast in the morning and some drinks and appetizers late afternoon,and cookies at bed time was a nice treat.

The Beds were nice 'select comfort' just set them to the firmness you want.

Room Tip: Plaza Level
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

We are glad you enjoyed our plaza level floor and look forward to see you again when your travels bring you back to the La Crosse area.

Reviewed 6 June 2011

The hotel is incredbily well located -- directly across the street from the Mississippi, the river walk and a park. It is in the historic area with well regarded restaurants within walking distance. I highly recommend staying in the historic area, near the River, if you are in La Crosse. Many of the hotels listed for La Crosse are outside of the downtown/historic area; as we drove into La Crosse and saw other locations, I felt they were lacking in interest and charm. Of the hotels in the historic area, I thought that the Radisson was the best situated.

For our one-night stay, we found the room bo be clean and generally fine. The bathroom is a very tight space -- this actually bothered me the most about the room.

The fitness center is decent. Parking is ample, convenient and free.

Two computers were available for guest use in the lobby. Fairly comfortable desk/seating arrangements for computer use.

The hotel staff was helpful and pleasant.

Overall, due to its great location, a good choice for staying in La Crosse.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family