“Nice Property” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in La Crosse
Road Warrior
“Nice Property”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Just spent one night here passing though town, whether it be one night, one month or longer Candlewood is usually my go-to property when I encounter them.

First thing I noticed when I pulled up to the hotel is that the building itself is beautiful and probably the nicest looking Candlewood I have see to date. In fact it almost looks out of place amongst the many older, run down buildings in La Crosse.

Inside was more familiar to what I'm use to encountering in Candlewoods, not that it's a bad thing, I actually like the familiarity.

I had a minor issue at check in that was quickly resolved by the friendly and knowledgeable assistant manager, sorry, didn't catch her name.

My room was clean and everything worked as it should. I like the fact that this particular Candlewood offers the option to get King sized beds, not all do. I had a room facing the rear of the hotel which I'd highly recommend rather than a parking lot view, there is a nice little lake out back plus you don't get the road noise from Copeland Ave, which is high traffic.

Hotel had all the amenities you expect to find in Candlewood. The bed was soft and comfortable, Internet worked well and speed tests showed an acceptable 2 Mbps download speeds.

The only thing I did not care for was that the room was very, very humid despite being less than 50 degrees outside and low humidity. You can open the windows all the way, which is nice because it can get like a pressure cooker in there, however, I think I got a hernia trying to open the darn thing as it's not exactly easy. Also, because of the humidity, there is a lot of black mold inside the window track so if you have mold allergies you might have a hard time breathing.

Other than that I enjoyed my stay and would probably return if the price was right, not sure I'd pay over $100 per night for it but if I could get it for less than that I would return, otherwise I might check some other options in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
mrkhughes, Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and reccommendations for the Candlewood Suites La Crosse hotel. We are very proud of how beautiful our building is, so we appreciate you taking notice! I am glad we were able to also live up to your expectations of a Candlewood Suites property for the hotel amenities and staff.

I am sorry about the problem with the humidity and windows. Because of your review, we have had our housekeepers providing an extra deep cleaning in all our window tracks this week and testing the ease in opening them so our engineer can repair those needing repair.

We hope we do get the chance to host you again. Our prices are based on demand and availability in our hotel and in the area, so always check us out to see if we are a good fit for you.

Thanks again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Hillsboro, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed here with my dogs. I love that the hotel is pet friendly. They have an exercise area behind the hotel and even provide poo bags and a disposal for them. All of the dogs were in the same area of the hotel - ground floor and next to the side exit, which was thoughtful and very convenient.

The facility is very clean, with comfy beds, pillows, and good towels. Since this is extended stay, there is complimentary popcorn in the room's microwave, a full size refrigerator, paper towels, etc. Very nice. There is a fantastic grocery store less than a 3 minute walk away (Festival) and several restaurants. I really liked the location - it is in the middle of everything in La Crosse.

The staff was great for the most part. Very friendly and fixed problems quickly. I really enjoyed talking to some of their younger staff members at night - sweet kids!

The only real problem I had was the smell. They use some kind of super strong deodorizer that will knock you off your feet. It is a very chemical-y smell and I wasn't 100% comfortable breathing it in. Based on other guests comments and some of the other reviews here this is a common complaint. Candlewood, please, please, please change this as it really detracts from the overall otherwise high quality of your facility. I don't think I could have stayed if I couldn't have cracked the window to air it out a bit.

I would definitely stay here again, but do have a few suggestions and tips.

If you can, get a room facing the back. Copeland Avenue is pretty busy, and I'm not sure why but there are only thick sheer curtains on the window. I checked and didn't see any blinds or any other coverings that moved. Since I was on the ground floor, people could see into my room very easily and at one point a police officer had someone pulled over and the lights flashed into my room for a good 15 minutes.

Next, unless you have pets get a room on the highest floor. As others have mentioned, the floors are not concrete and you can hear everything that happens above you. My first night, it sounded like someone was moving furniture directly above me...ALL NIGHT LONG.

The internet here is super slow - I could not get on VPN or make a Lync call on my computer.

A suggestion for the management - create some type of handbook for your guests on how the rooms work. I hate bugging staff, so maybe there WAS a way to block out light from the street at night? It took several of us some time to figure out how the master light switched worked. And I did finally have to ask the staff how to turn off the kitchenette light (the control is on the microwave - I never would have guessed).

Even with these issues, I still give the Candlewood La Crosse 4 out of 5 stars. Their benefits and overall service far outweigh the problems, and if they fix the smell issue I would give them 5 stars next time. It is great value for the price and super convenient.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor facing the back.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank sassorganics
mrkhughes, Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review for our hotel on Tripadvisor. We really enjoy getting any type of feedback from our guests and your comments also help future guests. I'm very happy that our staff was able to meet your expectations. You would never need to worry about asking any questions of anyone on our team, we're here to help you.
I am glad that you commented on the areas that we could improve on. We do use an air freshener in the public areas that is a wax canister that is replaced once per month and I admit the new ones are strong. I will research some other options and see what other properties may be doing. We've also been drafting some informational cards for our guests on the different items in the rooms but have not had a final draft that we are completely happy with, but hope to have it in place very soon.

Thank you again for completing the review and we hope to see you again in the future!
rhinelander wi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

i was in La Crosse on business and stayed at the Candlewood Suites for on e night the end of March 2014. The hotel is located just north of the downtown area and was easy to find. The room was very clean as was the lobby and the rest of the hotel. The staff was very friendly at check in and gave me a very good recommendation for a restaurant to eat at. (Sloopy's Alma Mater about 2 blocks north) The bed was comfortable and I was was impressed with the size and amenities of the room. If I would have been there longer I would have made us of the kitchen area in the room and also the gas grills that are available outside. There is a grocery store about a half block away so it would be easy to pick something up to cook. I didn't have time to use the exercise room but I did look at it and it had cardio machines and also a weight machine. I will stay here again when in town.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
mrkhughes, Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Candlewood Suites La Crosse and for all the great comments. I am glad you had the chance to visit Sloopy's Alma Mater--they are one of our favorties! We look forward to the next time you are in town. Hopefully then you will get some time (and the weather will be nice) to grill out in the Candlewood Gazebo Grill. It is a summertime guest hot spot.

Safe Travels!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

The room was very clean to begin with but after a week of staying there I could have used a quick clean sweep by housekeeping. Maybe leave more than one pack of regular coffee. I had to go down every morning and get more from the front desk. The towel thing, walking around with your dirty towels just to get new ones. I get the concept of suites but after a 13hr day of work don't feel like taking the garbage down the hallway. Place the lock bar over the door, had housekeeping just barge into my room randomly. Would I stay there again? Yes. Now that I know how it all works, as a new guest to the hotel its a little frustrating.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
mrkhughes, Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am sorry that we did not do a great job explaining our once a week housekeeping model to you. We do try to accommodate all your needs in between those housekeeping visits, so next time you stay with us (and thank you for giving us another try), just call the front desk with whatever you need. We will be happy to send housekeeping up to do some touch ups, bring you fresh towels, and load you up with coffee. I am also sorry our housekeeping staff did accidently come to your room. We will work better with our communication to prevent that in the future.

Thanks for staying with us. We look forward to having you back and having the chance to wowing you with our service!
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Spent 7 days here on a business trip last month.

The employees were extraordinarily friendly and very accomodating with minor requests and offering general assistance. My room was very well aid out and spacious. The hotel offered the amenities I expected as a business traveller, and I found the free laundry and the availability of an in house convenience store to be an excellent benefit. The location is very good because in the same parking lot is a large grocery store, liqour store, numerous restaurants, etc. Overall I would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back, for a quieter nights sleep.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KeithandAdriana
mrkhughes, General Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the staff, amenties, and location at Candlewood Suites La Crosse. We appreciate you taking the time to let us and other travelers know what you thought, and we hope you do get the chance to come back and stay with us again.

Thank you!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone who visits the area and wants a nice, clean place to relax after a day of exploring.

Compliments: 1. Room: exceptionally clean and the full kitchen (complete with dishware, dishwasher, stove, coffee pot, and ice maker) added a level of comfort and personality to the room; bathroom was CLEAN and spacious; window opened nicely; comfortable bed; 2. Staff: helpful and very friendly; our request to check out late was accommodated. 3. 24/7 Food Cupboard: unique food items to hotels (ice cream, Lean Cuisines); breakfast foods included as there is no continental breakfast.

Complaints: 1. Difficulty maneuvering my luggage into the hotel and into the room due to the room's heavy door. 2. Hallway smell: not bad, not good, but present and obvious. It was not, however, presnt in the room and if it was, it was unnoticeable after a few minutes. 3. Not the most comfortable pillows.

Bottom line: The complaints were minimal and the compliments far exceeded any annoyance we may have had. I feel confident that had we asked, the hotel staff would have accommodated whatever they could have for us. We will definitely stay here again and I would recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Our room faced the main street (Copeland Ave) and was noisy. The ambulance went by at least 3 or 4 t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
mrkhughes, General Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful compliments and your feedback for Candlewood Suites La Crosse. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Your comment on the cleanliness of the room and on the helpfulness of the staff are top priorities for us and I will be passing the pat on the back to our staff as reward for their hard work and genuine caring.

I am sorry the doors were a bit heavy. I would agree this can make it difficult to get in the room. On your next stay we would be more than happy to give you a hand with your luggage. In regards to the air freshener used in our hallways, I am sorry you didn't prefer the scent. We will look at new scents and decreasing the use of the air freshener overall to make it less noticeable.
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We enjoyed our stay. The staff was very friendly and the room/lobby extremely clean. The location was great - we walked to the Oktoberfest grounds via a trail that also passed by a beautiful garden and led to the river area. Wished we would've taken a River Cruise, also! I highly recommend this hotel and will not hesitate to revisit. The one thing I would recommend to the hotel would be to add a breakfast option.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lynmof
mrkhughes, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for letting us know you enjoyed your stay. We are glad you were able to enjoy the short path that led the Oktoberfest Grounds, the Friendship Gardens, and Riverside Park. The river and its beauty surely are some of the best sights in La Crosse.

We hope you do get a chance to come back and stay with us again with time to enjoy a river cruise. Because we are an extended stay and offer some different amenities to our guests other than breakfast, I can't say that we will be able to remedy that one need for you, but the good news is there is a Great Harvest Bread Company opening up this winter next door which will offer coffee, breads, and pastries for a quick breakfast option.

Thanks again for the review and happy, safe travels!