Candlewood Suites La Crosse
US$111
US$135
Econo Lodge(La Crosse)
US$60
The Charmant Hotel(La Crosse)
US$186
US$180
Welch Motel(La Crosse)(Great Value!)
US$74
US$135
US$131
All reviewslarge grocery storeextended staylending lockerhonor systemnice propertybath towelsother hotelswithin walking distance of downtownsmall kitchenin townroom was spaciousspent two nightscontinental breakfastfront desk staffbooked this hotelexercise roomstaff was friendly
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The comfort, quality and location of a studio apartment in hotel style is A+! Charming staff and happy guests produce the smiles every day. Walking distance to downtown, yet outside downtown. Steps away from places to eat, and grocery shopping. Quick drives or bus rides to other shopping areas.

Room Tip: You can ask for a room on the east side for a view, but all the rooms (studios) are great!!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
mrkhughes, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thanks for the wonderful review of Candlewood Suites of La Crosse. You are very complimentary to say our staff is charming. They loved to hear that! And, you highlighted everything else we love about our hotel. Thanks, too, for sharing the great tip of reserving a room on the east side (the back of the hotel). Some call it a marsh and others a pond, but either way the view out back is the preferred one.

We hope to see you again, soon!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We were visiting family in the area and needed a pet friendly hotel, so we decided to try the Candlewood Suites. We didn't have any experience with the hotel chain, but the reviews were positive. My review is positive as well. The property was very clean and well appointed. We had the one bedroom suite. The kitchen had a microwave, full sized fridge, electric stove top and a dishwasher. Granite countertops in the kitchen and bathroom. The bed was very comfortable. We had a room facing the back so it was very quiet at night. There is a nice grassy area in the back for walking the dog.
The hotel is next to a little strip mall that has a pizza place for takeout, and a grocery store if you want to buy food to make in the room.
Just be aware that there is no pool, nor do they have breakfast service which would have been nice since other hotels like Homewood Suites that are billed as extended stay have complimentary breakfast included with the price of the room.
That aside, it was a very nice property and a good stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back -it will be quieter than the rooms facing the street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
mrkhughes, Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for your review of Candlewood Suites La Crosse. We are so happy you and your pet enjoyed your time with us! Thank you for giving future guests an accurate description of our amenities, too. We appreciate you sharing your experience so that everyone can make informed choices.

We focus on the amenities that our extended stay guests appreciate the most, but in order to keep our costs down which keeps our rate down, we don't offer a pool or a free continental breakfast. We hope that between the offerings in the Candlewood Cupboard and the grocery store next door, it is convenient and affordable for you to prepare and eat all your meals in your room with your fully stocked kitchen. If it's nice outside, the Gazebo Grills are great for that, too.

Thanks again for the review, and safe travels!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

This is a very clean and comfortable hotel but like other guests have stated, if you get a room on the street side, expect it to be noisy. For some reason our family was put in a handicap accessible room. (Nobody requested it, so maybe they were out of "regular" rooms.) Normally this wouldn't matter a bit, however, the shower is not very handicapped friendly for able bodied people, much less a person in a wheelchair. The shower head is on a hose and it wouldn't point straight - it either sprayed toward the wall or curtain depending on which way I positioned it. The water came almost straight down, so being a person who didn't need the chair in the shower, I was forced to lean into the water area and this was very uncomfortable. Another issue I noticed that didn't affect us (but this was a handicapped accessible room) was the shut off switch located above the stove. I guess if a person in a wheelchair had a long stick they could reach it, otherwise, I'm not sure why they would place it that far out of reach. Same with the freezer. Finally for the negative stuff, we couldn't locate the light switch for the bathroom. It seems to be all or nothing with the light system. There was absolutely no switch in the bathroom (if there was, it was hidden very well!) and two switches on the wall outside the bathroom. One operated a light in the entryway, the other turned on all the other lights (they could be turned on or off as well from the individual units). On the plus side, the beds were unbelievable comfortable and the room quite spacious with a full-sized refrigerator and furnished with most of the utensils and servingware a person would need for a short visit. Since it's a suite, this hotel does not serve breakfast but you can cook whatever you want in your own room. I'd be willing to give it another try in a regular room, on the "quiet" side.

On a totally unrelated note, La Crosse needs to fix its roads! Not a good image for visitors.

Room Tip: Try the opposite side of the very busy street.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
mrkhughes, Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dennis J.,

Thank you for providing your feedback for your stay with us. I am sure our other guests will find your perspective of our roll-in shower, handicap accessible room very helpful. I am sorry that some of our features in our handicap accessible room gave you trouble. It is our only room with that shower design which I can understand is not as suitable for a standing person as opposed to a person in a wheel chair or sitting. We are working to alleviate these struggles so that this room is comfortable for all our guests. In regards to the light switches, we will share your comments with the staff so they can be more proactive in explaining our energy saving Master Light Switch system and the location of the switches.

I am glad you enjoyed our spacious layout, kitchens, and comfortable beds. Our guests' sleep and comfort are a top priority and our room amenities and concept help us to achieve that.

Please reach out to us next time you are in La Crosse, and we will do our best to set aside your preferred room type and location in the hotel. We look forward to you giving us another try.

Thanks,
Melissa Webster

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Just spent one night here passing though town, whether it be one night, one month or longer Candlewood is usually my go-to property when I encounter them.

First thing I noticed when I pulled up to the hotel is that the building itself is beautiful and probably the nicest looking Candlewood I have see to date. In fact it almost looks out of place amongst the many older, run down buildings in La Crosse.

Inside was more familiar to what I'm use to encountering in Candlewoods, not that it's a bad thing, I actually like the familiarity.

I had a minor issue at check in that was quickly resolved by the friendly and knowledgeable assistant manager, sorry, didn't catch her name.

My room was clean and everything worked as it should. I like the fact that this particular Candlewood offers the option to get King sized beds, not all do. I had a room facing the rear of the hotel which I'd highly recommend rather than a parking lot view, there is a nice little lake out back plus you don't get the road noise from Copeland Ave, which is high traffic.

Hotel had all the amenities you expect to find in Candlewood. The bed was soft and comfortable, Internet worked well and speed tests showed an acceptable 2 Mbps download speeds.

The only thing I did not care for was that the room was very, very humid despite being less than 50 degrees outside and low humidity. You can open the windows all the way, which is nice because it can get like a pressure cooker in there, however, I think I got a hernia trying to open the darn thing as it's not exactly easy. Also, because of the humidity, there is a lot of black mold inside the window track so if you have mold allergies you might have a hard time breathing.

Other than that I enjoyed my stay and would probably return if the price was right, not sure I'd pay over $100 per night for it but if I could get it for less than that I would return, otherwise I might check some other options in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
mrkhughes, Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and reccommendations for the Candlewood Suites La Crosse hotel. We are very proud of how beautiful our building is, so we appreciate you taking notice! I am glad we were able to also live up to your expectations of a Candlewood Suites property for the hotel amenities and staff.

I am sorry about the problem with the humidity and windows. Because of your review, we have had our housekeepers providing an extra deep cleaning in all our window tracks this week and testing the ease in opening them so our engineer can repair those needing repair.

We hope we do get the chance to host you again. Our prices are based on demand and availability in our hotel and in the area, so always check us out to see if we are a good fit for you.

Thanks again!

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed here with my dogs. I love that the hotel is pet friendly. They have an exercise area behind the hotel and even provide poo bags and a disposal for them. All of the dogs were in the same area of the hotel - ground floor and next to the side exit, which was thoughtful and very convenient.

The facility is very clean, with comfy beds, pillows, and good towels. Since this is extended stay, there is complimentary popcorn in the room's microwave, a full size refrigerator, paper towels, etc. Very nice. There is a fantastic grocery store less than a 3 minute walk away (Festival) and several restaurants. I really liked the location - it is in the middle of everything in La Crosse.

The staff was great for the most part. Very friendly and fixed problems quickly. I really enjoyed talking to some of their younger staff members at night - sweet kids!

The only real problem I had was the smell. They use some kind of super strong deodorizer that will knock you off your feet. It is a very chemical-y smell and I wasn't 100% comfortable breathing it in. Based on other guests comments and some of the other reviews here this is a common complaint. Candlewood, please, please, please change this as it really detracts from the overall otherwise high quality of your facility. I don't think I could have stayed if I couldn't have cracked the window to air it out a bit.

I would definitely stay here again, but do have a few suggestions and tips.

If you can, get a room facing the back. Copeland Avenue is pretty busy, and I'm not sure why but there are only thick sheer curtains on the window. I checked and didn't see any blinds or any other coverings that moved. Since I was on the ground floor, people could see into my room very easily and at one point a police officer had someone pulled over and the lights flashed into my room for a good 15 minutes.

Next, unless you have pets get a room on the highest floor. As others have mentioned, the floors are not concrete and you can hear everything that happens above you. My first night, it sounded like someone was moving furniture directly above me...ALL NIGHT LONG.

The internet here is super slow - I could not get on VPN or make a Lync call on my computer.

A suggestion for the management - create some type of handbook for your guests on how the rooms work. I hate bugging staff, so maybe there WAS a way to block out light from the street at night? It took several of us some time to figure out how the master light switched worked. And I did finally have to ask the staff how to turn off the kitchenette light (the control is on the microwave - I never would have guessed).

Even with these issues, I still give the Candlewood La Crosse 4 out of 5 stars. Their benefits and overall service far outweigh the problems, and if they fix the smell issue I would give them 5 stars next time. It is great value for the price and super convenient.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor facing the back.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank sassorganics
mrkhughes, Manager at Candlewood Suites La Crosse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review for our hotel on Tripadvisor. We really enjoy getting any type of feedback from our guests and your comments also help future guests. I'm very happy that our staff was able to meet your expectations. You would never need to worry about asking any questions of anyone on our team, we're here to help you.
I am glad that you commented on the areas that we could improve on. We do use an air freshener in the public areas that is a wax canister that is replaced once per month and I admit the new ones are strong. I will research some other options and see what other properties may be doing. We've also been drafting some informational cards for our guests on the different items in the rooms but have not had a final draft that we are completely happy with, but hope to have it in place very soon.

Thank you again for completing the review and we hope to see you again in the future!