“excellent guest relations skills!”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites La Crosse
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in La Crosse
Waterloo, Iowa
“excellent guest relations skills!”
Reviewed 22 February 2011

I love hearing people moan about a $3 parking pass....do these people ever travel anywhere at all?? Try chicago people!! Anyway, we had a great experience at this hotel. The staff was great and we knew a few of them by name by the end of our stay! Restaurant food was great and prices are reasonable! Great pizza!! Unfortunately, there were a duo of parents there that were near our table that cared more about drinking than watching their kids run around the bar and restaurant BUT the manager came over and apologized to us for the distraction and quietly talked to the undeserved parents who eventually left so we could enjoy the rest of our meal. Great location!!!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smudge5755

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 13 February 2011

This hotel looks beautiful from the outside and the location can't be beat, as its directly in the heart of downtown La Crosse near bars, restaurants, the Mississippi River, and the La Crosse Center. I typically love Holiday Inn's, but this one was just average. Upon check-in, we found the young front desk worker to be slightly stand-offish and he seemed almost annoyed that he had to stand up, get off the computer, and put his Blackberry down to help us.

* All future guests, be aware that there is an additional $3/night parking fee that will give you space in the ramp next door, which we didn't mind paying as it's convenient, especially during the winter!

Once we got to our room, we found the bed to be King-sized and comfortable, and there was a nice big flat-screen TV in the room. The shower in our room was big, with dual heads, but not that clean since we found strands long blonde hair that couldn't have belonged to my boyfriend or I.

I wouldn't recommend staying here if you want a good night's sleep and have intentions of sleeping in late. The cleaning staff (or maybe room service?) in the hallway outside our room made a lot of noise starting around 8 AM. Also, the walls are very thin, especially in the bathrooms! We could hear our neighbors turn their shower on like it was coming from our bathroom! The shower pressure coming from the next room sounds like a freight train. So overall, I'd just say the Holiday Inn La Crosse average.

*One minor request for management: Luckily we didn't have much luggage, so it was no big deal to park in the ramp right away and bring our bags in, since when we checked in on a Friday evening, there was absolutely no place to stop and unload in the front driveway/parking lot. I assume that most of the spaces were taken up by customers of the restaurant. Some 10-minute parking spaces for unloading would be awesome!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis
Reviewed 25 January 2011

**Full disclosure: I did not actually stay at the Holiday Inn. I was just trying to book a block of rooms for my wedding guests. So I can't review the accomodations of this hotel. But I can speak to my frustration with the company and staff.**

I called the number on the website, hoping to speak to a staff person about booking a block of rooms at the Holiday Inn. I was transferred to some answering service that serves the parent company Holiday Inn must belong to-- and my call was answered by someone in a call center overseas. While this lady was very pleasant, it was frustrating to not be able to speak to a staff person at the hotel directly.

After submitting my request, the woman on the phone (from the call center) told me someone from the hotel would return my call within 24 hours. Over a week later, I FINALLY receive a response from the hotel, denying my request for a room block. While I understand that the hotel is booked up, I think it is impolite and just bad business to not return a call within the time frame set.

If you are looking for a group reservation in downtown La Crosse, don't even bother with this hotel. You are guarenteed a slow, frustrating process. Instead, direct your business to the Grand Stay hotel. You can actually talk to someone who works at the hotel and they are incredibly nice. Don't waste your time with the Holiday Inn.

Stayed January 2011
3 Thank mdtravels1

Travellers are raving about these La Crosse hotels

Mayville
Reviewed 28 December 2010

After reading so many negative reviews of this hotel (and wondering if we should actually stay there), we were pleasantly surprised to find everything in order. First of all, the rate was fair and the room was large, quiet and very clean. The hotel desk clerk was friendly and helpful. I don't know what more you need to expect from a motel/hotel visit. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
MADISON
Reviewed 1 November 2010

We went to check in for our anniversary and kiddingly said we were surprised we had to spend an additional $3 for parking given the expense of our room. The clerk was very rude and said how LaCrosse charges them a lot (gave mepersonal hotel information) and proceeded to tell me they charge more at the Radisoon accross the street. It wasn't the $3 it was the RUDE staff that made us leave and check into a WONDERFUL hotel down the street (Marriott Courtyard) . We will NEVER go to this hotel again and we frequent LaCrosse a lot as this is where my husband and I first dated!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LoraKay
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 October 2010

Wow - these guys need some training. Maybe IHG can get them some. I am sure Andrew Cosslett and Jim Abrahamson will be interested to learn how the LaCrosse Holiday Inn "behaves"! Do the right thing - NOT, Show we care - NOT, Aim higher - NOT, Celebrate difference - ?, Work better together - NOT! Tim Rortvedt obviously hasn't attended empathy training. Very bad experience, we checked out shortly after checking in. Rude behavior at the front desk, and then after the fact Mr Rortvedt basically dismissed my comments. He claims he was present at check in and check out but clearly was NOT, if he had been, a real manager would have introduced him/herself and shown his/ her interest in a client's concerns! LaCrosse has a real ambassador here! Sorry LaCrosse!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LaCrosseIndians
trortvedt, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, 30 December 2010
I was actually standing at the desk when Ted and his wife came back down from the room. They told the desk clerk that either they remove the parking fee or you were going to check out. The desk clerk said that we do not remove the fee, that our prices are comparable downtown with parking added to which the wife replied "so what" and they wanted to check out. Do not layout ultimatums if you will not be happy with the consequences. They were in the hotel for about 40 minutes.

There was no "attitude" displayed from the desk only refusal to waive the parking fee. All the other guest pay for parking which in a downtown hotel is not "nickel and diming", it is common. We provide covered parking which the other two hotels do not. I am very familiar with the room rates in all the downtown hotels and we range anywhere from $10-30 lower than our competitors. I understand that they did not want to pay for parking but it is not negotiable. Our lot is clearly marked and the checkin process as well as online bookings makes it impossible to not understand the parking policy.

Thank you!
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Front desk staff needs a lesson in Customer Service! Could go into great detail about circumstances, but young, immature, rude, and offensive front desk clerk made our stay less than enjoyable. We were told our room was not ready due to a flood in the room above the previous night. No manager was available to speak with and all hotels in the area were sold out. We were stuck with a room that still had wet carpeting, the wall paper was peeling off the walls, the ceiling looked as if the drywall was going to fall at any time. When we showed our displeasure for the way he was handling the situation he had the audacity to ask if we were "having a bad day."

Although the location of this hotel is ideal for staying in downtown La Crosse, I will never stay at this hotel again. I recommend you do the same.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank honeyjo
trortvedt, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites La Crosse, responded to this review, 29 October 2010
A guest did fall asleep the prior evening, in the room above and left the tub running. It overflowed into the room below. Our engineering department did take care of the room and the items were fixed prior to the guest arrival. Unfortunately, we were sold out and the guest wanted to check in early. It was not possible that day for the room type they reserved. The guest reported that the floor was still wet at checkout and our Engineering went up to the room with the guest to find dry carpeting. We tried to do our best to accommodate the guest and even gave a 25% discount to the guest for their patience for waiting until 4pm the day before. However, after inspecting with the guest, we could not substantiate the claims made at check out.